Monday, December 22, 2014   |   4,643 users online
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos  ·  Chat

Russian sleep epidemic baffles scientists

Posted on Monday, 2 June, 2014 | Comment icon 44 comments

Several dozen people have been affected to date. Image Credit: Nikolai Kuznetsov

Dozens of people in two remote Russian villages have been falling asleep for up to six days at a time.

The abandoned Soviet town of Krasnogorsk and the village of Kalachi in Kazakhstan have been the site of a peculiar malady that has seen up to 60 people mysteriously falling asleep and failing to wake up for days.

"I was milking cows, as usual, early in the morning, and fell asleep," said milkmaid Marina Felk. "I remember nothing at all, only that when I came round I was in a hospital ward."

Scientists have conducted over 7,000 experiments on everything from the blood of those afflicted to the soil outside but have been unable to conclusively explain what's happening.

Some of the locals have become so used to the problem that they've even taken to keeping a bag packed at all times in case they wake up in hospital.

"In the morning, I wanted to finish my work," said Alexey Gom who was visiting his mother-in-law. "I switched on my laptop, opened the pages that I needed to finish reading - and that was it. It felt like somebody pressed a button to switch me off."

Source: Express | Comments (44)

Tags: Russia, Sleep

Comment icon #35 Posted by coolguy on 9 June, 2014, 3:56
Very cool I bet it has something to do with the area or something they are eating.i would not mind sleeping for a few days lol
Comment icon #36 Posted by nohands on 10 June, 2014, 3:15
hmmmmmmmmmmm.... does it has connections with the use of aura in the environment...?
Comment icon #37 Posted by zoser on 11 June, 2014, 20:36
I bet that it is though.
Comment icon #38 Posted by Gigglez-N-Stfu on 3 July, 2014, 17:27
Why isn't Putin doing anything to stop this? Maybe because he is planning it? *Dr. Evil pinkie, muahah.*
Comment icon #39 Posted by Ozfactor on 17 December, 2014, 10:29
I only read about this today , I hope it isn't a new type of infectious virus But multiple tests have found no cause Mass Hysteria ? Magic Mushrooms ? http://www.news.com.au/travel/world-travel/residents-of-kalachi-keep-falling-asleep-and-no-one-knows-why/story-e6frfqbr-1227159898812
Comment icon #40 Posted by ancient astronaut on 17 December, 2014, 17:06
Maybe because that's all there is to do there?????
Comment icon #41 Posted by Thisisweird on 17 December, 2014, 18:14
Could it be something to do with misquotes or other bugs, or maybe even something in there blood
Comment icon #42 Posted by skookum on 18 December, 2014, 1:04
Very sad, looking at they place they don't have much but their health. Doesn't look like their health is up to much either so maybe the authorities should do the right thing and move them and demolish what is left.
Comment icon #43 Posted by Atuke on 18 December, 2014, 4:06
Comment icon #44 Posted by praetorian-legio XIII on 19 December, 2014, 16:01
Out on a limb time...... They're not really sleeping. They are metaphysically existing in a parallel universe offering them more pleasure, comfort, happiness than their actual town. In a sense they escape to "Xanadu". And they can only remain there until such time as their physical bodies require maintenance. Where do I sign up?

A Connecticut haunting
12-15-2014 | New Milford, Connecticut

Luminous UFO in Scotland.
12-2-2014 | Black Loch, Limerigg, Scotland