Thursday, October 2, 2014   |   6,625 users online
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos  ·  Chat

Russian sleep epidemic baffles scientists

Posted on Monday, 2 June, 2014 | Comment icon 38 comments

Several dozen people have been affected to date. Image Credit: Nikolai Kuznetsov

Dozens of people in two remote Russian villages have been falling asleep for up to six days at a time.

The abandoned Soviet town of Krasnogorsk and the village of Kalachi in Kazakhstan have been the site of a peculiar malady that has seen up to 60 people mysteriously falling asleep and failing to wake up for days.

"I was milking cows, as usual, early in the morning, and fell asleep," said milkmaid Marina Felk. "I remember nothing at all, only that when I came round I was in a hospital ward."

Scientists have conducted over 7,000 experiments on everything from the blood of those afflicted to the soil outside but have been unable to conclusively explain what's happening.

Some of the locals have become so used to the problem that they've even taken to keeping a bag packed at all times in case they wake up in hospital.

"In the morning, I wanted to finish my work," said Alexey Gom who was visiting his mother-in-law. "I switched on my laptop, opened the pages that I needed to finish reading - and that was it. It felt like somebody pressed a button to switch me off."

Source: Express | Comments (38)

Tags: Russia, Sleep

Comment icon #29 Posted by Hawkin on 4 June, 2014, 2:18
The government should test the air for CM. Maybe put CM detectors in the homes.
Comment icon #30 Posted by Paranormalcy on 4 June, 2014, 6:05
I suspect this is going to be diagnosed as a case of mass hysteria or a variation, much has happened many times with other groups, though most are more likely to be school-age children. One or a small handful of people get sick (quite possibly as a result of any of the suggested causes other posters listed here) and start exhibiting some symptoms, and it becomes a psychological epidemic, though most of the time, only the most pronounced symptoms tend to repeat in the "reflectors" (that acquire a psychosomatic form of the actual medical condition), with more general stress, anxiety, n... [More]
Comment icon #31 Posted by TheGreatBeliever on 6 June, 2014, 9:20
I believe its chemicals in the air. Anyway where's that button?!
Comment icon #32 Posted by sea-dove on 8 June, 2014, 11:29
I dont think it is mass hysteria.. this isnt like affecting high school kids but the general population, most cases of what the media published as being mass hysteria, end up turning out to be something else. Besides it is only one symptom and a serious one at that (it is so unnatural to sleep 6 days without waking up!!) which doesnt sound like hysteria cases. Unless someone has gone catanonic.. someone with mental health issues would wake up. Hysteria people are very anxious!, they wouldnt just sleep and sleep. As there is nothing really I can think of which causes this sympt... [More]
Comment icon #33 Posted by sea-dove on 8 June, 2014, 11:40
Hi have you seen an article which says these people with this thing in Russia are getting nausea, flu-like symptoms and other symptoms other then the just suddenly falling asleep one and staying asleep for up to 6 days? If so can you please post the link as I'd love to read it. (I didnt think it could be hysteria as due to the only one symptom and a serious one at that). Most hysteria causes have later been found out to be other things eg poison in the water, toxic spillage caused or a missed illness .. usually the stories arent followed up by the big media when the cause is finall... [More]
Comment icon #34 Posted by Paranormalcy on 8 June, 2014, 14:06
There are many applicable examples that one could look to as possibe similar events, keeping in mind environment and social structure and local events of import can create various symptoms. Below are a selection at random from varous artilcles dealing with similar but not identical "outbreaks" of "coversion disorder" which could be at work in Russia. http://www.today.com/health/teen-girls-mystery-illness-now-has-diagnosis-mass-hysteria-1C9381970 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_hysteria (and various famous cases) http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/womens-blog/20... [More]
Comment icon #35 Posted by coolguy on 9 June, 2014, 3:56
Very cool I bet it has something to do with the area or something they are eating.i would not mind sleeping for a few days lol
Comment icon #36 Posted by nohands on 10 June, 2014, 3:15
hmmmmmmmmmmm.... does it has connections with the use of aura in the environment...?
Comment icon #37 Posted by zoser on 11 June, 2014, 20:36
I bet that it is though.
Comment icon #38 Posted by Gigglez-N-Stfu on 3 July, 2014, 17:27
Why isn't Putin doing anything to stop this? Maybe because he is planning it? *Dr. Evil pinkie, muahah.*

My strange house