Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Man tames giant hornet and keeps it as a pet

Posted on Thursday, 14 August, 2014 | Comment icon 36 comments

It's not quite a substitute for a dog or a cat. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Thomas Brown
The unnamed man from Japan allegedly ties string to the insect and takes it out for regular walks.
Measuring up to 6cm in length the giant Japanese hornet is one of the largest and deadliest insects in the world. In its native Japan these huge wasp-like creatures claim 40 lives on average every year and are considered the second most dangerous species in the country next to humans.

None of these facts however seem to have stopped one man in Japan from keeping one of them as a pet after he claimed to have caught it in a butterfly net and removed its sting and poison sacs.

Eyebrows were raised across the Internet this week when a series of photographs posted to the man's Twitter account appeared to show him taking the venomous insect for a walk on the streets of Tokyo using a small piece of string tied around its abdomen.

"He does bite occasionally but it doesn't really hurt," he wrote.

The story has since gone viral and social media has been abuzz with efforts to determine whether or not the story is genuine. Some Internet users have speculated that the images have been faked as part of a prank while others have suggested that it could be some sort of viral marketing exercise.

So far however the authenticity of the story has managed to remain something of a mystery.

Source: Yahoo! News | Comments (36)

Tags: Hornet, Japan

Comment icon #27 Posted by shrooma on 15 August, 2014, 19:35
The feared six centimetre (2.5 inches) long Asian insects - which can fly at up to 25 mph - have a powerful, poisonous sting . for ****s' sake, don't tell HAMAS!! .
Comment icon #28 Posted by DieChecker on 16 August, 2014, 5:17
The one on the left appears the most real, since the legs are gripping the hand. It also appears that the wings are a little beat up on the ends. But, perhaps it does not fly anymore?
Comment icon #29 Posted by pallidin on 17 August, 2014, 13:18
Good God, now you guys have me confused.
Comment icon #30 Posted by village_idiot on 17 August, 2014, 14:19
This is the first thing that came to mind after reading this article....
Comment icon #31 Posted by DieChecker on 17 August, 2014, 20:50
Good God, now you guys have me confused. Bwahhh, Ha, ha........
Comment icon #32 Posted by QuiteContrary on 18 August, 2014, 2:17
I have also heard of people tying preying mantis to their bed posts. It was in a kids science book I read a very long time ago. Even though I am "into" insects, this is strictly my opinion and I haven't been able to find anything to back it up so take it as such: You have insects that sit motionless and wait on prey, like a praying mantis. So maybe tying them to a leash works. But if hornets are active hunters and don't sit around motionless waiting on prey. I can't see one being complacent on a leash. And not trying to taking flight. And ripping off some insect's head or thorax or abdomen isn... [More]
Comment icon #33 Posted by DieChecker on 18 August, 2014, 3:11
Comment icon #34 Posted by Beacon_Field on 21 August, 2014, 12:47
This story bugs me. The man bugs me. He's a pleb.
Comment icon #35 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 21 August, 2014, 12:57
This story bugs me. The man bugs me. He's a pleb. You're probably the first poster, nay, the first person that I have seen use a deriving word for plebeian. Haha. Welcome to the forums!
Comment icon #36 Posted by kidagakash on 21 August, 2014, 15:51
So I guess walking a pet cabbage down the street has been replaced with hornets

Why do flamingos stand on only one leg ?
5-24-2017
Scientists have determined that flamingos prefer to stand on one leg as it helps them conserve energy.
Neil Armstrong's bag could fetch up to $4M
5-23-2017
A bag used by the late astronaut to collect samples during the Apollo 11 mission is to be sold at auction.
What caused the Hindenburg to catch fire ?
5-23-2017
80 years on from the disaster, the exact cause of the inferno that destroyed the airship remains unclear.
Europe, not Africa, was birthplace of mankind
5-23-2017
A remarkable new palaeontological discovery in Europe could rewrite the history of human evolution.
Nine doughnuts in three minutes
Posted 5-24-2017 | 3 comments
'L.A. Beast' returns to break another record, this time by eating a huge pile of doughnuts.

Falcon vs car
Posted 5-23-2017 | 5 comments
Can the fastest bird of prey in level flight manage to fly faster than a speeding car ?

Ants are better at growing food than we are
Posted 5-21-2017 | 1 comment
They may be small, but ants have been farming their own food for a lot longer than humans have.

Neil deGrasse Tyson on Europa
Posted 5-20-2017 | 0 comments
The popular astrophysicist talks about finding life beneath the surface of Europa.

Everest earthquake
Posted 5-19-2017 | 0 comments
A look at the harrowing moments before the devastating avalanche at Mount Everest in 2015.

Someone is on my bed