Sunday, August 20, 2017

Man tames giant hornet and keeps it as a pet

Posted on Thursday, 14 August, 2014 | Comment icon 36 comments

It's not quite a substitute for a dog or a cat. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Thomas Brown
The unnamed man from Japan allegedly ties string to the insect and takes it out for regular walks.
Measuring up to 6cm in length the giant Japanese hornet is one of the largest and deadliest insects in the world. In its native Japan these huge wasp-like creatures claim 40 lives on average every year and are considered the second most dangerous species in the country next to humans.

None of these facts however seem to have stopped one man in Japan from keeping one of them as a pet after he claimed to have caught it in a butterfly net and removed its sting and poison sacs.

Eyebrows were raised across the Internet this week when a series of photographs posted to the man's Twitter account appeared to show him taking the venomous insect for a walk on the streets of Tokyo using a small piece of string tied around its abdomen.

"He does bite occasionally but it doesn't really hurt," he wrote.

The story has since gone viral and social media has been abuzz with efforts to determine whether or not the story is genuine. Some Internet users have speculated that the images have been faked as part of a prank while others have suggested that it could be some sort of viral marketing exercise.

So far however the authenticity of the story has managed to remain something of a mystery.

Source: Yahoo! News | Comments (36)

Tags: Hornet, Japan

Comment icon #27 Posted by shrooma on 15 August, 2014, 19:35
The feared six centimetre (2.5 inches) long Asian insects - which can fly at up to 25 mph - have a powerful, poisonous sting . for ****s' sake, don't tell HAMAS!! .
Comment icon #28 Posted by DieChecker on 16 August, 2014, 5:17
The one on the left appears the most real, since the legs are gripping the hand. It also appears that the wings are a little beat up on the ends. But, perhaps it does not fly anymore?
Comment icon #29 Posted by pallidin on 17 August, 2014, 13:18
Good God, now you guys have me confused.
Comment icon #30 Posted by village_idiot on 17 August, 2014, 14:19
This is the first thing that came to mind after reading this article....
Comment icon #31 Posted by DieChecker on 17 August, 2014, 20:50
Good God, now you guys have me confused. Bwahhh, Ha, ha........
Comment icon #32 Posted by QuiteContrary on 18 August, 2014, 2:17
I have also heard of people tying preying mantis to their bed posts. It was in a kids science book I read a very long time ago. Even though I am "into" insects, this is strictly my opinion and I haven't been able to find anything to back it up so take it as such: You have insects that sit motionless and wait on prey, like a praying mantis. So maybe tying them to a leash works. But if hornets are active hunters and don't sit around motionless waiting on prey. I can't see one being complacent on a leash. And not trying to taking flight. And ripping off some insect's head or thorax or abdomen isn... [More]
Comment icon #33 Posted by DieChecker on 18 August, 2014, 3:11
Comment icon #34 Posted by Beacon_Field on 21 August, 2014, 12:47
This story bugs me. The man bugs me. He's a pleb.
Comment icon #35 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 21 August, 2014, 12:57
This story bugs me. The man bugs me. He's a pleb. You're probably the first poster, nay, the first person that I have seen use a deriving word for plebeian. Haha. Welcome to the forums!
Comment icon #36 Posted by kidagakash on 21 August, 2014, 15:51
So I guess walking a pet cabbage down the street has been replaced with hornets

'Apocalyptic' cloud hangs over town in Brazil
8-19-2017
Residents of Teixeira de Freitas were treated to a rather unusual and unnerving spectacle this week.
Mysterious doors appear across Nova Scotia
8-19-2017
The freestanding doors have turned up in several towns, leaving local residents scratching their heads.
Can the Yellowstone supervolcano be stopped ?
8-19-2017
NASA has come up with an ambitious new plan to cool down the supervolcano by using it as an energy source.
Mars rovers to focus on the search for life
8-18-2017
Two upcoming Mars rover missions will attempt to determine if the Red Planet was once home to life.
Why don't we use our parent's names?
Posted 8-19-2017 | 2 comments
Why do we call our parents mom and dad instead of using their actual names ?

Adam Savage meets an alien
Posted 8-18-2017 | 2 comments
The former MythBuster checks out the animatronic alien from the movie Alien Covenant.

Concrete blocks chest smash
Posted 8-17-2017 | 0 comments
Multiple world record holder Ali Bahcetepe has 16 concrete blocks smashed on his chest.

Animal symbiotic relationships
Posted 8-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at some of the animal species that rely on one another to survive.

How much of the Earth can be seen at once ?
Posted 8-15-2017 | 0 comments
What is the maximum amount of our planet that you can see from any given point ?

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY

Shapeshifter
8-18-2017 | Cranbrook British Columbia

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia