Saturday, October 21, 2017

Man tames giant hornet and keeps it as a pet

Posted on Thursday, 14 August, 2014 | Comment icon 36 comments

It's not quite a substitute for a dog or a cat. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Thomas Brown
The unnamed man from Japan allegedly ties string to the insect and takes it out for regular walks.
Measuring up to 6cm in length the giant Japanese hornet is one of the largest and deadliest insects in the world. In its native Japan these huge wasp-like creatures claim 40 lives on average every year and are considered the second most dangerous species in the country next to humans.

None of these facts however seem to have stopped one man in Japan from keeping one of them as a pet after he claimed to have caught it in a butterfly net and removed its sting and poison sacs.

Eyebrows were raised across the Internet this week when a series of photographs posted to the man's Twitter account appeared to show him taking the venomous insect for a walk on the streets of Tokyo using a small piece of string tied around its abdomen.

"He does bite occasionally but it doesn't really hurt," he wrote.

The story has since gone viral and social media has been abuzz with efforts to determine whether or not the story is genuine. Some Internet users have speculated that the images have been faked as part of a prank while others have suggested that it could be some sort of viral marketing exercise.

So far however the authenticity of the story has managed to remain something of a mystery.

Source: Yahoo! News | Comments (36)

Tags: Hornet, Japan

Comment icon #27 Posted by shrooma on 15 August, 2014, 19:35
The feared six centimetre (2.5 inches) long Asian insects - which can fly at up to 25 mph - have a powerful, poisonous sting . for ****s' sake, don't tell HAMAS!! .
Comment icon #28 Posted by DieChecker on 16 August, 2014, 5:17
The one on the left appears the most real, since the legs are gripping the hand. It also appears that the wings are a little beat up on the ends. But, perhaps it does not fly anymore?
Comment icon #29 Posted by pallidin on 17 August, 2014, 13:18
Good God, now you guys have me confused.
Comment icon #30 Posted by village_idiot on 17 August, 2014, 14:19
This is the first thing that came to mind after reading this article....
Comment icon #31 Posted by DieChecker on 17 August, 2014, 20:50
Good God, now you guys have me confused. Bwahhh, Ha, ha........
Comment icon #32 Posted by QuiteContrary on 18 August, 2014, 2:17
I have also heard of people tying preying mantis to their bed posts. It was in a kids science book I read a very long time ago. Even though I am "into" insects, this is strictly my opinion and I haven't been able to find anything to back it up so take it as such: You have insects that sit motionless and wait on prey, like a praying mantis. So maybe tying them to a leash works. But if hornets are active hunters and don't sit around motionless waiting on prey. I can't see one being complacent on a leash. And not trying to taking flight. And ripping off some insect's head or thorax or abdomen isn... [More]
Comment icon #33 Posted by DieChecker on 18 August, 2014, 3:11
Comment icon #34 Posted by Beacon_Field on 21 August, 2014, 12:47
This story bugs me. The man bugs me. He's a pleb.
Comment icon #35 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 21 August, 2014, 12:57
This story bugs me. The man bugs me. He's a pleb. You're probably the first poster, nay, the first person that I have seen use a deriving word for plebeian. Haha. Welcome to the forums!
Comment icon #36 Posted by kidagakash on 21 August, 2014, 15:51
So I guess walking a pet cabbage down the street has been replaced with hornets

Fear of snakes 'is of evolutionary origin'
10-21-2017
A new study in Germany has suggested that we are born with an innate fear of snakes and spiders.
9.7 million-year-old hominin teeth discovered
10-20-2017
The surprising find has the potential to completely rewrite everything we know of early human history.
Flying insect numbers drop by 75% in 27 years
10-20-2017
A new study has highlighted a huge reduction in the number of flying insects in Germany's nature reserves.
Car appears out of nowhere in puzzling footage
10-20-2017
An intriguing optical illusion has been leaving social media users scratching their heads this week.
One hundred million crabs
Posted 10-21-2017 | 2 comments
Christmas Island red crabs migrate in extreme numbers in this vintage BBC clip.

Recreating your face from DNA
Posted 10-18-2017 | 0 comments
Is it possible to determine someone's appearance from a sample of their DNA ?

Schlieren imaging in color
Posted 10-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at Schlieren imaging - a technique that can help to visualize tiny differences in air.

Glowing creatures of the deep
Posted 10-15-2017 | 0 comments
This vintage clip sees Sir David Attenborough descending in to the dark depths of the sea.

Slow motion pellet split
Posted 10-14-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt to split an air gun pellet with a knife to pop two balloons.

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom

Ghost playing with a balloon?
10-18-2017 | Australia

Impossible phone call
10-18-2017 | West Virginia

Seeing cats
10-18-2017 | Santa Rosa

Fourth of July UFO show
10-18-2017 | Hillsboro ND

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland