Thursday, August 17, 2017

Olympian runs a mile every day for 52 years

Posted on Tuesday, 31 January, 2017 | Comment icon 7 comments

Imagine running every day of every month of every year for over five decades. Image Credit: US Navy
Former Olympic runner Ron Hill has taken some time off after his incredible 52-year running streak.
Hill, who is now 78, competed in the Tokyo Olympics in 1964, the Munich Olympics in 1972 and has run at least one mile every day, rain or shine, for over 52 years non-stop.

His achievements are numerous, with several marathon running titles to his name and an MBE. In 1970 he became the first British runner ever to win the Boston Marathon.

Sadly though, his incredible record-breaking mile-a-day running streak has finally come to a close following a bout of ill-health which began when he suffered chest pains during his daily run.

"After 400m my heart started to hurt and by the time I got to the one mile point I thought I was going to die," he said. "I was in such pain and I thought 'no, hang on, this isn't going anywhere at the moment', and really in respect of my wife, two sons and friends I need to stop this."

Hill's respite from running is certainly well-earned. When he reached the 50-year milestone it was calculated that he had run a total of 160,000 miles - that's six times around the entire planet.

Source: BBC News | Comments (7)

Tags: Ron Hill, Running

Comment icon #1 Posted by BadChadB33 on 31 January, 2017, 18:27
That's an awesome feat!! I applaud him!
Comment icon #2 Posted by LV-426 on 31 January, 2017, 18:38
Comment icon #3 Posted by Eldorado on 31 January, 2017, 19:05
He has awesome feet.
Comment icon #4 Posted by coolguy on 1 February, 2017, 2:51
Runing a mile every day for 52 years thats crazy, props to him if i ran 20 feet i would die
Comment icon #5 Posted by Still Waters on 1 February, 2017, 10:33
I hope not!
Comment icon #6 Posted by Eldorado on 1 February, 2017, 13:34
I doubt he would. I've seen my 80yr-old disabled mother sprint 20ft into her living room and leap onto her orthopaedic chair on hearing the Eastenders theme tune.
Comment icon #7 Posted by simplybill on 1 February, 2017, 23:30
Wow, and I think I'mdoing good if I do laundry once a week.

Insect burgers to go on sale in Switzerland
8-16-2017
Insect-based edibles are beginning to appear in shops after a recent revision of food safety laws.
Firm set to put a cellphone tower on the Moon
8-16-2017
A German startup is aiming to land rovers on the Moon that will communicate using cellphone technology.
'Frankenstein dinosaur' is 'missing link'
8-16-2017
The mystery surrounding a dinosaur made up of various mismatched body parts has finally been solved.
Dog turns blue due to polluted Indian River
8-15-2017
Untreated industrial waste in Mumbai's Kasadi river has been turning dogs a rather peculiar color.
Animal symbiotic relationships
Posted 8-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at some of the animal species that rely on one another to survive.

How much of the Earth can be seen at once ?
Posted 8-15-2017 | 0 comments
What is the maximum amount of our planet that you can see from any given point ?

Will batteries power the world ?
Posted 8-14-2017 | 0 comments
Is there a limit to how small and light a rechargeable lithium-ion battery can be ?

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama