Sunday, March 26, 2017

Olympian runs a mile every day for 52 years

Posted on Tuesday, 31 January, 2017 | Comment icon 7 comments

Imagine running every day of every month of every year for over five decades. Image Credit: US Navy
Former Olympic runner Ron Hill has taken some time off after his incredible 52-year running streak.
Hill, who is now 78, competed in the Tokyo Olympics in 1964, the Munich Olympics in 1972 and has run at least one mile every day, rain or shine, for over 52 years non-stop.

His achievements are numerous, with several marathon running titles to his name and an MBE. In 1970 he became the first British runner ever to win the Boston Marathon.

Sadly though, his incredible record-breaking mile-a-day running streak has finally come to a close following a bout of ill-health which began when he suffered chest pains during his daily run.

"After 400m my heart started to hurt and by the time I got to the one mile point I thought I was going to die," he said. "I was in such pain and I thought 'no, hang on, this isn't going anywhere at the moment', and really in respect of my wife, two sons and friends I need to stop this."

Hill's respite from running is certainly well-earned. When he reached the 50-year milestone it was calculated that he had run a total of 160,000 miles - that's six times around the entire planet.

Source: BBC News | Comments (7)

Tags: Ron Hill, Running

Comment icon #1 Posted by BadChadB33 on 31 January, 2017, 18:27
That's an awesome feat!! I applaud him!
Comment icon #2 Posted by LV-426 on 31 January, 2017, 18:38
Comment icon #3 Posted by Eldorado on 31 January, 2017, 19:05
He has awesome feet.
Comment icon #4 Posted by coolguy on 1 February, 2017, 2:51
Runing a mile every day for 52 years thats crazy, props to him if i ran 20 feet i would die
Comment icon #5 Posted by Still Waters on 1 February, 2017, 10:33
I hope not!
Comment icon #6 Posted by Eldorado on 1 February, 2017, 13:34
I doubt he would.  I've seen my 80yr-old disabled mother sprint 20ft into her living room and leap onto her orthopaedic chair on hearing the Eastenders theme tune.
Comment icon #7 Posted by simplybill on 1 February, 2017, 23:30
Wow, and I think I'm doing good if I do laundry once a week.

Hair salon is offering snake neck massages
3-25-2017
The Haar Mode Team salon in Dresden is offering customers a rather unique type of massage service.
'Ghost' causes a stir aboard USS Lexington
3-25-2017
Visitors to a popular attraction in Corpus Christi, Texas came across something they did not expect.
Permian mass extinction 'could happen again'
3-25-2017
A catastrophic rise in temperature wiped out the vast majority of life on Earth 250 million years ago.
'Mystery gardener' plants trees after dark
3-24-2017
An unknown individual in Stevenage, UK has been planting trees on a town green under cover of darkness.
Featured book

By Guy Lyon Playfair
A look at the story of Peggy Hodgson and her four children who, between 1977 and 1979, were at the center of one of the most terrifying poltergeist cases ever documented.
ALMA's 100-ton antennas
Posted 3-25-2017 | 0 comments
A special vehicle is used to carry ALMA's ultra-heavy antennas in to place in the desert.

How do we find lost satellites ?
Posted 3-24-2017 | 0 comments
A look at the methods scientists use to locate spacecraft with which contact has been lost.

Searching for Japanese bats
Posted 3-23-2017 | 0 comments
The Rimizu limestone caves in Japan are an ideal place to look for hibernating bats.

My nightly occurrences