Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Olympian runs a mile every day for 52 years

Posted on Tuesday, 31 January, 2017 | Comment icon 7 comments

Imagine running every day of every month of every year for over five decades. Image Credit: US Navy
Former Olympic runner Ron Hill has taken some time off after his incredible 52-year running streak.
Hill, who is now 78, competed in the Tokyo Olympics in 1964, the Munich Olympics in 1972 and has run at least one mile every day, rain or shine, for over 52 years non-stop.

His achievements are numerous, with several marathon running titles to his name and an MBE. In 1970 he became the first British runner ever to win the Boston Marathon.

Sadly though, his incredible record-breaking mile-a-day running streak has finally come to a close following a bout of ill-health which began when he suffered chest pains during his daily run.

"After 400m my heart started to hurt and by the time I got to the one mile point I thought I was going to die," he said. "I was in such pain and I thought 'no, hang on, this isn't going anywhere at the moment', and really in respect of my wife, two sons and friends I need to stop this."

Hill's respite from running is certainly well-earned. When he reached the 50-year milestone it was calculated that he had run a total of 160,000 miles - that's six times around the entire planet.

Source: BBC News | Comments (7)

Tags: Ron Hill, Running

Comment icon #1 Posted by BadChadB33 on 31 January, 2017, 18:27
That's an awesome feat!! I applaud him!
Comment icon #2 Posted by LV-426 on 31 January, 2017, 18:38
Comment icon #3 Posted by Eldorado on 31 January, 2017, 19:05
He has awesome feet.
Comment icon #4 Posted by coolguy on 1 February, 2017, 2:51
Runing a mile every day for 52 years thats crazy, props to him if i ran 20 feet i would die
Comment icon #5 Posted by Still Waters on 1 February, 2017, 10:33
I hope not!
Comment icon #6 Posted by Eldorado on 1 February, 2017, 13:34
I doubt he would. I've seen my 80yr-old disabled mother sprint 20ft into her living room and leap onto her orthopaedic chair on hearing the Eastenders theme tune.
Comment icon #7 Posted by simplybill on 1 February, 2017, 23:30
Wow, and I think I'mdoing good if I do laundry once a week.

Orbiting supermassive black holes discovered
6-28-2017
For the first time ever, scientists have observed two supermassive black holes orbiting one another.
British nanny changes name to Mary Poppins
6-28-2017
Mary Poppins fan Emma Davenport was so fond of the character that she decided to actually become her.
'Willy Wonka' elevator has become a reality
6-28-2017
German company ThyssenKrupp has developed an elevator that can go horizontally as well as vertically.
NASA denies alien life announcement claim
6-27-2017
NASA has played down the suggestion that it is on the verge of announcing the discovery of alien life.
20 years of Mars exploration
Posted 6-28-2017 | 1 comment
A look back at NASA's robotic exploration of the Red Planet over the last two decades.

Can you remember this ?
Posted 6-27-2017 | 0 comments
A look at the surprisingly common psychological phenomenon of false memories.

Spider shoots 25-meter web
Posted 6-26-2017 | 0 comments
The Darwin's Bark Spider is a real-life spiderwoman with a gigantic river-spanning web.

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI

Craig is here
6-10-2017 | Phoenix AZ

We saw the same thing!
6-10-2017 | Pooler, GA

Three female faces
6-5-2017 | Illinois (IL)

Encounter at 3:33 AM
6-5-2017 | Budapest

Trade school terror
5-26-2017 | Cedro woolley, Wa.