Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Olympian runs a mile every day for 52 years

Posted on Tuesday, 31 January, 2017 | Comment icon 7 comments

Imagine running every day of every month of every year for over five decades. Image Credit: US Navy
Former Olympic runner Ron Hill has taken some time off after his incredible 52-year running streak.
Hill, who is now 78, competed in the Tokyo Olympics in 1964, the Munich Olympics in 1972 and has run at least one mile every day, rain or shine, for over 52 years non-stop.

His achievements are numerous, with several marathon running titles to his name and an MBE. In 1970 he became the first British runner ever to win the Boston Marathon.

Sadly though, his incredible record-breaking mile-a-day running streak has finally come to a close following a bout of ill-health which began when he suffered chest pains during his daily run.

"After 400m my heart started to hurt and by the time I got to the one mile point I thought I was going to die," he said. "I was in such pain and I thought 'no, hang on, this isn't going anywhere at the moment', and really in respect of my wife, two sons and friends I need to stop this."

Hill's respite from running is certainly well-earned. When he reached the 50-year milestone it was calculated that he had run a total of 160,000 miles - that's six times around the entire planet.

Source: BBC News | Comments (7)

Tags: Ron Hill, Running

Comment icon #1 Posted by BadChadB33 on 31 January, 2017, 18:27
That's an awesome feat!! I applaud him!
Comment icon #2 Posted by LV-426 on 31 January, 2017, 18:38
Comment icon #3 Posted by Eldorado on 31 January, 2017, 19:05
He has awesome feet.
Comment icon #4 Posted by coolguy on 1 February, 2017, 2:51
Runing a mile every day for 52 years thats crazy, props to him if i ran 20 feet i would die
Comment icon #5 Posted by Still Waters on 1 February, 2017, 10:33
I hope not!
Comment icon #6 Posted by Eldorado on 1 February, 2017, 13:34
I doubt he would.  I've seen my 80yr-old disabled mother sprint 20ft into her living room and leap onto her orthopaedic chair on hearing the Eastenders theme tune.
Comment icon #7 Posted by simplybill on 1 February, 2017, 23:30
Wow, and I think I'm doing good if I do laundry once a week.

Mystery object to be checked for ET signals
12-12-2017
An asteroid thought to have come from another solar system is to be checked for signs of alien technology.
Diver narrowly avoids huge great white shark
12-11-2017
New footage has emerged of a diver's extremely close encounter with the jaws of a monster shark.
Haunted orphanage knocked down in Canada
12-11-2017
The destruction of the centuries-old building has left questions concerning the fate of its ghostly inhabitants.
NASA teases new extrasolar planet discovery
12-11-2017
The space agency will be making an announcement on Thursday about its latest groundbreaking discovery.
Is happiness contagious ?
Posted 12-12-2017 | 0 comments
Is it possible to become happy by hanging out with other people who are happy ?

Megalodon - the largest shark in history
Posted 12-11-2017 | 0 comments
A look at Megalodon - a truly monstrous creature that once roamed Eath's oceans.

Pizza night - in space
Posted 12-8-2017 | 0 comments
ISS astronauts try their hand at putting together pizzas high up in orbit around the Earth.

Mysterious Headlights
12-10-2017 | Morgan County, Alabama

Possibly a child ghost
12-10-2017 | Edgewater, Maryland

True story about black-eyed kids
12-10-2017 | Portland oregon

Alien or paranormal encounter ?
12-10-2017 | United States

Ouija board experience
12-10-2017 | Ohio

Strange occurrences
11-15-2017 | Fife

Mysterious music box song
11-15-2017 | U.S.A

Haunted military house
10-23-2017 | New Zealand

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom