Thursday, July 27, 2017

Man finds Viking treasure with metal detector

Posted on Sunday, 21 May, 2017 | Comment icon 20 comments

The treasure dates back over 1,000 years. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 4.0 Wolfmann
Derek McLennan earned almost $2.6 million after unearthing a horde of 10th-century Viking artefacts.
The metal detector enthusiast had been scanning a field in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland back in 2014 when he happened across one of the most significant British archaeological finds in years.

The treasure trove, which consisted of around 100 items, included silver brooches, gold rings and a host of other valuables believed to date back more than 1,000 years to the time of the Vikings.

Now, more than three years on, the Queen's and Lord Treasurer's Remembrancer - which rules on found goods which do not have an owner - has determined that the collection should go to Scotland's National Museum in exchange for paying McLennan £1.98 ($2.58) million.

Not bad for a day spent wandering around a field with a metal detector.

"We are honoured and feel privileged to have saved this internationally significant treasure and we look forward to the many exciting discoveries that will be further revealed," the museum wrote.

"We cannot wait for its eventual display in Scotland's National Museum."

Source: Independent | Comments (20)

Tags: Viking, Treasure

Comment icon #11 Posted by TheSpoonyOne on 13 October, 2014, 21:43
Weird, I just happened to be reading about the Staffordshire horde today... These coincidences seem to happen to me way too often, I'll be wishing an obscure film appear on television and low and behold it will the same day, okay so that's not quite a coincidence as it could be, but the weirdest one so far that I've encountered was me going on Google Maps one day, out of boredom/interest I suppose, and looking for the most remote place I could see on the globe to try and do a street view, I ended up on somewhere unknown to me called Wrangel Island, that afternoon I'm watching a game show or so... [More]
Comment icon #12 Posted by theotherguy on 13 October, 2014, 23:13
Between the Vikings, the Romans, the Angles, the Saxons, the Celts, and pretty much every other European culture, there has got to be tons--literally tons--of valuables buried around the British Isles. If I was any sort of collector, that's where I would start.
Comment icon #13 Posted by tipotep on 14 October, 2014, 0:50
Arch Stanton? LOL it was the grave marked unknown next to it " Unk , Unk , Unk ... it has no name on it "
Comment icon #14 Posted by Hammerclaw on 14 October, 2014, 0:51
That gold pin in the article... By the shape of it's beak it's a flamingo.Where the heck did a Norse craftsman see a flamingo? There are two species native to the old world, one to southern Iberia.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Thorvir Hrothgaard on 14 October, 2014, 16:18
Arch Stanton? I got that reference. Thanks.
Comment icon #16 Posted by Aisling on 22 October, 2014, 18:33
And this is exactly why I want to go to the British Isles lol.
Comment icon #17 Posted by seeder on 14 May, 2017, 8:26
UPDATE:
Comment icon #18 Posted by Gingitsune on 14 May, 2017, 19:24
About anywhere around the Mediterranean Sea + Portugal. I had the same though.
Comment icon #19 Posted by seanjo on 21 May, 2017, 23:37
They were more well travelled than is credited them.
Comment icon #20 Posted by coolguy on 22 May, 2017, 3:41
Awesome its like hiting the lotto

3,500-year-old lunch box found in Swiss Alps
7-26-2017
An extraordinarily well-preserved lunch box has been discovered on Switzerland's Lotschberg mountain.
1962 'thing in the woods' was CIA spy camera
7-26-2017
A mystery spanning over 55 years has finally been solved thanks to newly released CIA documents.
Giant black swan once roamed New Zealand
7-26-2017
Scientists have found evidence of a huge, hulking semi-flightless swan that went extinct 500 years ago.
Time is key to happiness, new study claims
7-25-2017
According to researchers, stressing out over a lack of time is a leading cause of anxiety and depression.
Augmented reality
Posted 7-26-2017 | 1 comment
A look at a new technology that superimposes computer-generated images over the real world.

Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

Stretchy batteries
Posted 7-23-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists have come up with a way to make batteries and their cases stretchy.

Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 1 comment

Dolphins beach themselves to catch fish
Posted 7-21-2017 | 0 comments

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI