Wednesday, June 29, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Natural World > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Natural World

What's the worst place to be stung by a bee ?

April 8, 2014 | Comment icon 67 comments

Bee stings can be extremely unpleasant. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Mark Winterbourne
Being stung can be painful at the best of times but some areas can hurt a lot more than others.
Having had an interest in the evolution and behavior of bees for some time, graduate student Michael Smith decided to try and answer one of the age-old questions about bee stings - what is the absolute worst place to get stung ?

Smith conducted the excruciating study over the course of 38 days, each day picking up a bee and placing it on a different part of his own body to sting. He tested out the most common places where stings occur and also the more sensitive areas, clocking up a total of 190 stings.
The results revealed that the single most painful place to be stung was actually on the nose, followed by the lips. The cheek, palm and armpit also ranked highly.

"All the stings induced pain," he wrote. "Getting stung on the top of the skull was like having an egg smashed on your head. The pain is there, but then it goes away."

Source: TIME | Comments (67)

Comment icon #58 Posted by Eldorado 8 years ago
In your cell, while on Death Row and while trying to eat your Last Meal after reading a Dear John letter and newspaper articles about the fire that wiped out your entire family.
Comment icon #59 Posted by DieChecker 8 years ago
How about on the willy as you are getting undressed on your wedding night.
Comment icon #60 Posted by sarah_444 8 years ago
I've been stung on the little toe twice while walking through clover...hurt like hell. Yes! My worst stings were on the bottom of my bare foot (stepped on the little buggar by accident). And the roof of my mouth.
Comment icon #61 Posted by Astra00 8 years ago
Yes! My worst stings were on the bottom of my bare foot (stepped on the little buggar by accident). And the roof of my mouth. Yes, it's very unpleasant...and the sting lasts for ages. Goodness, the roof of your mouth ? how awful
Comment icon #62 Posted by ealdwita 8 years ago
How about on the willy as you are getting undressed on your wedding night. Oh yes, I remember the prayer that goes with that situation....."Dear God, please take away the pain but leave the swelling!"
Comment icon #63 Posted by HerNibs 8 years ago
I sat on a bee once. Me too. I was about six. Wearing a bathing suit. Went to go down my slide. Sat right on the bee/wasp. Really painful. Having the stinger removed with half the neighborhood watching really sucked too. My creepy old man neighbor called me Madame belle fess for years. Nibs
Comment icon #64 Posted by MyOtherAccount 8 years ago
Yes! My worst stings were on the bottom of my bare foot (stepped on the little buggar by accident). And the roof of my mouth. Sarah, amazingly beautiful profile picture!
Comment icon #65 Posted by SaraT 8 years ago
I can think of a few places but they're too painful for me to mention.
Comment icon #66 Posted by sarah_444 8 years ago
Sarah, amazingly beautiful profile picture! Thank you! I love it. It's by a really great artist, Alex Cherry.
Comment icon #67 Posted by DieChecker 8 years ago
One really bad place to be stung by a bee would be... Free climbing 2750 feet up El Capitan. Sting... "EEEEEEEEyyyyyyyyaaaaaaa.........."

Total Posts: 7,286,220    Topics: 299,735    Members: 197,544