Thursday, January 18, 2018

What's the worst place to be stung by a bee ?

Posted on Tuesday, 8 April, 2014 | Comment icon 67 comments

Bee stings can be extremely unpleasant. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Mark Winterbourne
Being stung can be painful at the best of times but some areas can hurt a lot more than others.
Having had an interest in the evolution and behavior of bees for some time, graduate student Michael Smith decided to try and answer one of the age-old questions about bee stings - what is the absolute worst place to get stung ?

Smith conducted the excruciating study over the course of 38 days, each day picking up a bee and placing it on a different part of his own body to sting. He tested out the most common places where stings occur and also the more sensitive areas, clocking up a total of 190 stings.

The results revealed that the single most painful place to be stung was actually on the nose, followed by the lips. The cheek, palm and armpit also ranked highly.

"All the stings induced pain," he wrote. "Getting stung on the top of the skull was like having an egg smashed on your head. The pain is there, but then it goes away."

Source: TIME | Comments (67)

Tags: Bee, Sting

Comment icon #58 Posted by Eldorado on 26 June, 2014, 18:37
In your cell, while on Death Row and while trying to eat your Last Meal after reading a Dear John letter and newspaper articles about the fire that wiped out your entire family.
Comment icon #59 Posted by DieChecker on 27 June, 2014, 6:03
How about on the willy as you are getting undressed on your wedding night.
Comment icon #60 Posted by sarah_444 on 27 June, 2014, 14:41
I've been stung on the little toe twice while walking through clover...hurt like hell. Yes! My worst stings were on the bottom of my bare foot (stepped on the little buggar by accident). And the roof of my mouth.
Comment icon #61 Posted by Astra00 on 27 June, 2014, 14:46
Yes! My worst stings were on the bottom of my bare foot (stepped on the little buggar by accident). And the roof of my mouth. Yes, it's very unpleasant...and the sting lasts for ages. Goodness, the roof of your mouth ? how awful
Comment icon #62 Posted by ealdwita on 27 June, 2014, 16:31
How about on the willy as you are getting undressed on your wedding night. Oh yes, I remember the prayer that goes with that situation....."Dear God, please take away the pain but leave the swelling!"
Comment icon #63 Posted by HerNibs on 27 June, 2014, 17:58
I sat on a bee once. Me too. I was about six. Wearing a bathing suit. Went to go down my slide. Sat right on the bee/wasp. Really painful. Having the stinger removed with half the neighborhood watching really sucked too. My creepy old man neighbor called me Madame belle fess for years. Nibs
Comment icon #64 Posted by MyOtherAccount on 27 June, 2014, 20:27
Yes! My worst stings were on the bottom of my bare foot (stepped on the little buggar by accident). And the roof of my mouth. Sarah, amazingly beautiful profile picture!
Comment icon #65 Posted by SaraT on 27 June, 2014, 20:34
I can think of a few places but they're too painful for me to mention.
Comment icon #66 Posted by sarah_444 on 27 June, 2014, 22:34
Sarah, amazingly beautiful profile picture! Thank you! I love it. It's by a really great artist, Alex Cherry.
Comment icon #67 Posted by DieChecker on 29 June, 2014, 5:21
One really bad place to be stung by a bee would be... Free climbing 2750 feet up El Capitan. Sting... "EEEEEEEEyyyyyyyyaaaaaaa.........."

Man claims 'aliens' delayed his tax return
1-18-2018
British tax authorities have released a list of some of the most ridiculous reasons for late tax returns.
Extreme weather tops 2018's global threats list
1-17-2018
1,000 risk management experts from around the world have outlined this year's top man-made threats.
Man ruptures throat while stifling a sneeze
1-17-2018
As one unfortunate man recently found out, trying to stifle a particularly explosive sneeze is not a good idea.
Is there an iron throne in the Great Pyramid?
1-17-2018
Professor Giulio Magli believes that the pyramid may be home to a throne carved from the core of a meteorite.
Brian Cox talks to Buzz Aldrin
Posted 1-18-2018 | 1 comment
Professor Brian Cox discusses space travel with legendary astronaut Buzz Aldrin.

Typing vs handwriting
Posted 1-16-2018 | 2 comments
Is typing on a computer better or worse for your memory then writing on paper ?

Can coding help avoid job automation ?
Posted 1-12-2018 | 0 comments
Taking up coding and technical skills to avoid automation may be counter-productive.

Dinosaur death match
Posted 1-8-2018 | 0 comments
A look at how various dinosaurs might have fared against the predators of their day.

Best records of 2017
Posted 1-4-2018 | 0 comments
A look back at some of the most bizarre and amazing world records of the last year.

First college apartment
12-31-2017 | Daytona Beach, FL

The night my niece was murdered
12-19-2017 | Delhi, Louisiana

Mysterious Headlights
12-10-2017 | Morgan County, Alabama

Possibly a child ghost
12-10-2017 | Edgewater, Maryland

True story about black-eyed kids
12-10-2017 | Portland oregon

Alien or paranormal encounter ?
12-10-2017 | United States