Sunday, February 18, 2018

What is the purpose of yawning ?

Posted on Thursday, 15 May, 2014 | Comment icon 20 comments

Yawning is an extremely contagious behavior. Image Credit: sxc.hu
The conventional idea that yawning is a sign of tiredness or boredom is now thought to be incorrect.
Instead, yawning may actually be about regulating the temperature of the brain. Like a computer, the brain operates best within a certain range of temperatures and when it gets too hot a good yawn can help to cool it down, promoting clearer thinking.

Conventionally associated with tiredness, yawning was long thought to be a way for the body to help wake itself up using a sudden jolt of oxygen. While it is true that yawning occurs more frequently when we are tired, this may be because being tired and exhausted can raise the brain's temperature, leading to more frequent yawning in order to help cool it down.

These conclusions have also been carried across to the phenomenon of contagious yawning. In the case of a pack of animals for instance, yawning can help to keep the whole pack alert by having members subconsciously yawn when they observe one of the others doing it.

Yawning is so contagious in fact that even reading about it can induce yawning. It is quite likely that you've yawned at least once yourself while you were reading this article.

Source: Independent | Comments (20)

Tags: Yawning, Brain

Comment icon #11 Posted by Child of Bast on 15 May, 2014, 14:32
I read somewhere that yawning was also the cause of one's body requiring a boost of oxygen in the blood stream. I wish I could remember the article in question. That's what I have heard/read as well. Nothing to do with boredom.
Comment icon #12 Posted by BuzzLightYear on 15 May, 2014, 14:51
A little trick you can pull on a car load of people or a gathering of people is to yawn, wait a bit and yawn again. If you repeat this enough before long several people will start to yawn. LOL
Comment icon #13 Posted by Merc14 on 15 May, 2014, 16:01
so they can smell your breath and see their vulva, and vice versa, ewwww!!!! I think you mean uvula but if they want to show the other bits it is fine by me
Comment icon #14 Posted by maximusnow on 15 May, 2014, 16:07
I buy yawn vacinations every morning, they last 5 hours and taste like fruit.
Comment icon #15 Posted by stevemagegod on 16 May, 2014, 2:11
Comment icon #16 Posted by Frank Merton on 16 May, 2014, 2:58
Sounds serious. Ayaunism. Get it treated.
Comment icon #17 Posted by TheGreatBeliever on 16 May, 2014, 13:01
It IS because we are tired n bored!
Comment icon #18 Posted by Junior Chubb on 16 May, 2014, 21:54
I have actually "forgot" how to yawn. I don't understand why i can' yawn anymore. It's like i will feel this "surge" of energy come up but when i have my mouth open nothing comes out. I haven't had a good "yawn" in months. Good brain ventilation or you are just to cool for skool
Comment icon #19 Posted by amaterasu on 16 May, 2014, 22:22
I yawn a lot when my husband explains his job to me. When he looks annoyed that I seem bored I tell him I have air hunger ....he seems to be happy with that explanation
Comment icon #20 Posted by FizzPuff on 17 May, 2014, 6:13
I thought it was cause we didn't get enough oxygen. So that it was our bodies way of "manually" getting more air or something... I can't remember the exact wording.

Man gets trapped down a sewer for three days
2-17-2018
The unfortunate man spent several days scrambling around the sewerage system looking for a way out.
How would mankind react to finding aliens ?
2-17-2018
Researchers believe that humanity would be more likely to welcome than fear the discovery of alien life.
Underpants mystery baffles French village
2-16-2018
Someone has been hanging underpants out across a village square in France and nobody seems to know why.
Andromeda is comparable in size to Milky Way
2-16-2018
It turns out that our closest neighboring galaxy is not the behemoth that scientists had previously thought it to be.
Big Bang vs Big Bounce
Posted 2-16-2018 | 0 comments
Was there another universe here before our own universe came in to existence ?

The Leaning Tower of Lire
Posted 2-12-2018 | 0 comments
Vsauce returns with a thought-provoking video about the problem of stacking blocks.

How did the dinosaurs die ?
Posted 2-8-2018 | 1 comment
A look at the devastating events that preceded the extinction of the dinosaurs.

World's longest bicycle
Posted 2-5-2018 | 2 comments
This ridiculous bicycle measures 41.42 meters in length and took nine months to put together.

The British flying Jeep
Posted 2-3-2018 | 0 comments
The British military reportedly developed a prototype flying car all the way back in 1942.

Black hole in Bismarck
2-14-2018 | Mandan

Trapped and chased
2-9-2018 | Saskatchewan canada

Someone calling my name
2-9-2018 | Budd Lake NJ

Strange feeling
1-18-2018 | Different places

Unexplained voices
1-18-2018 | United States

First college apartment
12-31-2017 | Daytona Beach, FL

The night my niece was murdered
12-19-2017 | Delhi, Louisiana