Sunday, April 22, 2018

Primary school 'alien egg' prank backfires

Posted on Friday, 11 July, 2014 | Comment icon 32 comments

Some of the children were terrified of the egg. Image Credit: sxc.hu
An unconventional problem solving exercise went awry when several of the children ended up terrified.
The strange set of events at Holy Trinity Primary School in Essex started when teachers placed a 3ft tall 'egg' in the undergrowth next to the school grounds as part of a lesson designed to promote problem solving.

The school sent updates to parents describing the "amazing discovery" and indicated that scientists from the "National Museum Of Strange Objects" would be visiting the school to investigate.

The children were tasked with aiding in the investigation by asking questions, writing essays and drawing pictures to try and determine where the egg had come from. It soon became apparent however that some of them had found the whole thing rather unsettling, prompting reports of children returning home in tears and being too frightened to go to school.

Following a backlash from parents the school ended up having to issue an apology.

"It has come to our attention that whilst the vast majority of the children at school were excited and engaged by this morning's 'discovery' there are some who have been worried by it," wrote headmaster Jon Smith. "We assure you that this afternoon we held an extra whole school assembly where we made it absolutely clear to everyone that the egg was of no danger to anyone."

Source: ParentDish | Comments (32)

Tags: Prank, Egg, School, Alien

Comment icon #23 Posted by Silent Trinity on 15 July, 2014, 5:12
I think some children at that school really over-EGGs-agerating the situation... OMG I cannot believe I made that joke.... I shall submit myself for summary execution at the moderators leisure....
Comment icon #24 Posted by Calibeliever on 15 July, 2014, 18:34
Comment icon #25 Posted by Silent Trinity on 15 July, 2014, 23:07
I know I know.... trainwreck
Comment icon #26 Posted by aquatus1 on 16 July, 2014, 1:06
The image of terror! In all fairness, this did come from Mail Online, and it isn't like they have the greatest reputation for journalistic integrity. I haven't been able to find more than the two Twitter comments that talk about scared kids. As far as I can tell, even if all four comments referred to come from different parents, that's 4 out of 60 students (or 115, depending on how many classes were involved). Hardly worthy of a headline. But then, it isn't as if anyone is taking it as anything other than tongue-in-cheek: Natural History Museum
Comment icon #27 Posted by Ryu on 16 July, 2014, 12:45
Well, I can't be so sure about that since people nowdays have become so hypersensitive that they feel that anything other than furry bunnies is a traumatic event for their precious little puke machines and therefore must be banned in order to preserve their feelings. Society everywhere seems to be morphing into collective cowards.
Comment icon #28 Posted by newbloodmoon on 19 July, 2014, 11:19
Reminds me of a tom baker-dr. Who episode called the creature in the pit. It had egg fragments from a large egg. Perhaps we have a real life blob monster on the loose.
Comment icon #29 Posted by Princess Serenity on 20 July, 2014, 2:14
I would think it was the coolest thing in the world. XD
Comment icon #30 Posted by Scheming B on 20 July, 2014, 2:26
The image of terror! MOTHER OF GOD
Comment icon #31 Posted by kartikg on 20 July, 2014, 6:20
These are the same kids who pay to watch Godzilla.
Comment icon #32 Posted by George Ford on 20 July, 2014, 9:54
Pathetic parents bringing their kids up wrapped in cotton wool and making them soft and targets for bullies. If those kids grow up being protected from things like big fake eggs then only god will be able to help them once they have to go out by themselves as adults into the world the rest of us live in.

'Bizarre' squid seen alive for the first time
4-22-2018
The NOAA's Okeanos Explorer vessel filmed this extraordinary cephalopod during a recent expedition.
Work on lunar space station to begin in 2019
4-21-2018
NASA has revealed that its ambitious Lunar Orbital Platform-Gateway will launch as early as 2022.
Cows could end up as world's largest mammals
4-21-2018
Scientists have warned that cows could eventually become the largest remaining mammals on Earth.
New species of 'exploding ant' discovered
4-20-2018
Capable of taking drastic action to protect their colonies, these ants have a rather unusual defense mechanism.
Why is US paper money green ?
Posted 4-22-2018 | 0 comments
Simon Whistler investigates why the color green was used when printing US bank notes.

Revealing the secrets of the deep ocean
Posted 4-19-2018 | 0 comments
Scientist Mandy Joye has dedicated her life to exploring the depths of the world's oceans.

Giant 3D-printed man
Posted 4-15-2018 | 2 comments
British YouTuber James Bruton has created a giant 3D-printed sculpture of himself.

The world's roundest object
Posted 4-12-2018 | 2 comments
A look at how the roundest object can help us to define the humble kilogram.

Do fish talk to each other ?
Posted 4-10-2018 | 11 comments
Fish might seem silent, but in actual fact they make a wide range of different sounds.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA