Saturday, May 30, 2020

US Navy deploys underwater robot shark

Posted on Saturday, 20 December, 2014 | Comment icon 21 comments

The robot is one of the more unusual additions to the Navy's arsenal. Image Credit: US Navy
The impressive five-foot-long aquatic surveillance robot looks and moves like the real thing.
The US Navy has experimented with some unusual technologies over the years but this latest project might just take the cake.

Known as GhostSwimmer, the new unmanned underwater vehicle is essentially a robot shark that can be deployed in the ocean for surveillance and reconnaissance missions.

Its development was inspired by observations of real-life sharks and the robot attempts to emulate their movements in the water.

"It swims just like a fish does by oscillating its tail fin back and forth," said Michael Rufo, Boston Engineering's Advanced Systems Director. "The unit is a combination of unmanned systems engineering and unique propulsion and control capabilities."

Source: Discovery News | Comments (21)

Tags: Robot, Sharks

Comment icon #12 Posted by freetoroam on 20 December, 2014, 21:01
Shut up.... ...ex Navy Corpsman.... NOT Corpse-man.... Did you just tell me to shut up?
Comment icon #13 Posted by Noteverythingisaconspiracy on 20 December, 2014, 23:16
The big question is this : Do they have freaking laser beams attached to their heads ?
Comment icon #14 Posted by Atuke on 20 December, 2014, 23:18
Great, now the enemy will be blasting all the sharks out of the water, just in case. The US Navy has experimented with some unusual technologies over the years http://www.unexplain...ter-robot-shark Yep, and how many whales and other sealife did they kill to make this one shark? http://www.collectiv...ake-action-now/i I'm actually agreeing with you for once. I didn't take you as the tree-hugging type as myself. Well said.
Comment icon #15 Posted by MyOtherAccount on 21 December, 2014, 1:24
WOW, are they worms? Look like fish to me!
Comment icon #16 Posted by Twin on 21 December, 2014, 2:47
That was the clumsiest shark ever seen.
Comment icon #17 Posted by joc on 21 December, 2014, 13:19
Did you just tell me to shut up? Of course not! Where did you get that silly idea....
Comment icon #18 Posted by Sundew on 21 December, 2014, 14:58
Coming soon to the Discovery Channel: Robot Shark Week.
Comment icon #19 Posted by freetoroam on 22 December, 2014, 10:24
Comment icon #20 Posted by Atuke on 22 December, 2014, 13:29
Haha, I live on a boat, do not do big brother, and absolutely love nature and all it has to offer...apart from not wearing sandals all year round I am certainly a tree hugger. Wow sounds nice. What a life!
Comment icon #21 Posted by joc on 23 December, 2014, 5:02
Haha, I live on a boat, do not do big brother, and absolutely love nature and all it has to offer...apart from not wearing sandals all year round I am certainly a tree hugger. I have actually hugged trees myself! Once, I couldn't find my tree stand and the first light of day was about to dawn...and I didn't want to miss my shot at that beautiful 8 point buck I knew would pass early after day light...so I just slung my 30 30 over my back, stuck my pistol in my belt behind my back and hugged that tree till I was about 12 feet up. About the time I got settled...there he was...yeah...I love tree h... [More]

Live: SpaceX Crew Dragon launch 2nd attempt
5-30-2020
Join the livestream as Doug Hurley and Bob Behnken launch from US soil aboard a SpaceX Crew Dragon.
World's oldest bug discovered in Scotland
5-30-2020
Scientists from Texas have identified the tiny fossil of a millipede that lived more than 425 million years ago.
Proxima b is more Earth-like than we thought
5-30-2020
The closest known extrasolar planet may also be one of the most Earth-like worlds ever discovered.
Monkey steals coronavirus blood samples
5-29-2020
Blood samples from three coronavirus patients were stolen by a monkey in the city of Meerut earlier today.
Orb of light in room
5-9-2020 | USA/Texas/Waco

Not sleeping alone
5-9-2020 | Los Angeles

Glowing red eyes
5-9-2020 | Fields, Louisiana

Two creature sightings
5-1-2020 | Augusta and Louisana

My haunted home
5-1-2020 | Rainham, Essex, UK

In over my head
3-3-2020 | CA

Stranger at night
3-3-2020 | Merritt Island, FL, U.S.

The babysitter