Friday, September 18, 2020

Was the 1982 movie 'Poltergeist' cursed ?

Posted on Saturday, 23 May, 2015 | Comment icon 41 comments

What is the truth behind the infamous Poltergeist curse ? Image Credit: sxc.hu
After its release the movie sparked rumors of a curse that was said to have befallen the cast and crew.
Directed by Tobe Hooper and produced by Stephen Spielberg, the original 'Poltergeist' told the terrifying tale of a family who became besieged by a malicious haunting that culminated in their youngest daughter being pulled through a portal to the 'other side'.

Some of the stories that arose following the film's release however would end up becoming almost as famous as the film itself. Many of them, including the rumor that the crew used real skeletons instead of fake ones to save money, turned out to be completely true.

Most notorious of all however was the so-called Poltergeist curse that was attributed with the unfortunate and untimely demise of many of the people who had worked on the film.

Just after the movie was released in 1982 the actress who played the older sister Dana, Dominique Dunne, was murdered by her abusive ex-boyfriend, John Sweeney.
Then around seven months before the release of the second movie in the series the actor who played the evil spirit Kane, Julian Beck, succumbed to stomach cancer.

The actor who played Taylor, Will Sampson, died one year later following a heart-lung transplant.

Perhaps the best known death relating to the series however was that of its young protagonist, Heather O’Rourke, who died unexpectedly of septic shock following the release of the third film.

Whether the curse will carry across to the 2015 remake however remains to be seen.

Source: IB Times | Comments (41)

Tags: Poltergeist, Movie

Comment icon #32 Posted by BiffSplitkins on 2 June, 2015, 16:46
Let's not forget about the Brady family curse when they found that Tiki in Hawaii. Now THAT was a curse.
Comment icon #33 Posted by Stubbly_Dooright on 4 June, 2015, 3:48
Actually, the Amityville Horror have been exaggerated in terms of some of the alleged paranormal activities....but something did went on in that house after the DeFeos' murders. I remember becoming friends with a new student, who I was asked to introduce and tour through school. She was from the neighborhood of the house. She told me, the only things that really did happen were the flies and there was a lot of wind. Now thing is, I keep hearing that those in the house now, and those previous to currant residents, and after the defoes, hadn't experienced anything paranormal. I think one family ... [More]
Comment icon #34 Posted by Robin_Shadowes on 4 June, 2015, 16:38
Well, both Brandon Routh and Henry Cavill are still alive, so that pours a big bucket of scorn all over that idea. Not all actors in the Poltergeist trilogy died either. Not all crew are conditioned to die I assume. But Christopher Reeve and George Reeves are dead and Margot Kidder has have had mental problems for many years. That is just a fact.
Comment icon #35 Posted by Stubbly_Dooright on 4 June, 2015, 18:27
Incidentally, I studied the DeFeo case (the actual case, not the haunting) a while ago when I was still in my murderer psychology studies phase. The whole thing was made up by George Lutz and Ronnie's lawyer over a round of drinks. The Exorcist had released not long before, and it was probably much of the inspiration behind the Scamityville *ehem* Amityville hauntings. Lutz agreed to it because he couldn't afford the house. The lawyer thought that, if a story about demons came out from the Lutz's, he could use it to work a "not guilty by reason of insanity" for Ronnie. It didn't work, mostly b... [More]
Comment icon #36 Posted by rashore on 4 June, 2015, 22:47
Yeah? My dad sat me down and made me watch Alien when I was 9. Beat that. Lol, I was read the Amityville Horror when I was 4. Along with being told Grimms tales. Watched Halloween 1-3, Friday the 13th 1-4, The Amityville Horror movie, Alien, and most of the black and white horror and a heap of creepy scary detective movies by the time I was 9. Got to listen to a heap of old horror and crime radio shows between the ages of 5-9, including The Shadow, The Mercury Theater, Suspense, Lights Out, and a bunch of other random stuff. My dad was a horror buff, and mom loved Halloween, grandpa liked to t... [More]
Comment icon #37 Posted by Stubbly_Dooright on 6 June, 2015, 15:40
Yeah, well, I grew up with parents who loved comedies. So, you can guess how a lot of the times I am going to look at situations, paranormal or not. In fact, the first theater movie my dad us too was one of the Pink Panther movies. Sometimes, a little humor gets a person to look at things in a different perspective. (My paranormal interests came with experiences) And sometimes, I still look at that with a little humor.
Comment icon #38 Posted by White Crane Feather on 6 June, 2015, 16:10
The super bowl poster in poltergeist though. Unless im being fooled somwhere that is just creepy. In the movie there is a poster above the brother's bed for the 1988 super bowl. The movie was released in 1982. Then the girl fell ill exactly on super bowl Sunday 1988 in San Diego. The same city the super bowl was being played in. She died the next day. That's a hell of a coincidence no matter which way you spin it. Why did spielburg make a poster for the future?
Comment icon #39 Posted by Stubbly_Dooright on 9 June, 2015, 21:03
I wanted to add an update on the Amityville house, just talked to another customer today. She says she grew up around there and she too said it was exactly how it was described to me by my high school friend.
Comment icon #40 Posted by coolguy on 10 June, 2015, 4:14
This guy Louis Byron Perryman was in the moive he was murdered http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=35656813
Comment icon #41 Posted by Likely Guy on 10 June, 2015, 4:19
This guy Louis Byron Perryman was in the moive he was murdered http://www.findagrav...r&GRid=35656813 It was made 33 years ago, there are probably a dozen or two people that "died before their time" that worked on that film. Oh, and accrding to Imdb he died in 2009. That has to be the slowest moving movie curse, ever!

Man uses live snake as face mask on UK bus
9-18-2020
Commuters couldn't believe their eyes this week when a man wearing a large snake got onto the bus.
Two 'ghosts' caught on camera at Gettysburg
9-17-2020
Footage has emerged that allegedly shows two ghostly figures at the site of the Battle of Gettysburg.
Did a solar flare cause the Titanic disaster ?
9-17-2020
It is now believed that a geomagnetic storm interfered with the Titanic's navigation and communications.
Prehistoric sperm found trapped inside amber
9-16-2020
Scientists have identified 100 million-year-old sperm cells perfectly preserved within fossilized tree resin.
Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball