We are now on Patreon! Click here to learn more about how you can help support the site.

Sunday, November 28, 2021
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Space & Astronomy > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )
Space & Astronomy

NASA releases new 'blue marble' Earth image

July 21, 2015 | Comment icon 12 comments

The 'blue marble' image is the first of its kind in 43 years. Image Credit: NASA
The breathtaking image was captured one million miles away by the Deep Space Climate Observatory.
The picture is the first to capture the complete sunlit side of our planet since the Apollo 17 astronauts captured similar shots all the way back in 1972.

It was taken by NASA's new Earth Polychromatic Imaging Camera (EPIC) which consists of a high-resolution imager that can take pictures through a telescope.
Situated 1.6 million kilometers away, the probe will in future be used to monitor the climate and to help government authorities such as the Air Force and the NOAA forecast the weather in space.

The new image, which was presented to the White House today, prompted President Obama to post a Tweet saying "A beautiful reminder that we need to protect the only planet we have."

Source: The Globe and Mail | Comments (12)

Unexplained Mysteries is now on Patreon!

Click here to learn more about how you can help support the site and gain access to a range of perks including a subscriber badge, ad-free browsing, an exclusive weekly newsletter, sneak peaks of upcoming features and more.
24 / 25
We are 96% of the way to our second Patreon subscriber target - thank you!
Comment icon #3 Posted by Twin 6 years ago
Comment icon #4 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf 6 years ago
A little higher res at: http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/187_1003705_americas_dxm.png Really cool, but Maybe I don't understand what hi res is, but the best NASA pictures I can find are all lower res than my $350 camera which produces pics with about 12,000,000 pixels. The link I posted above is the best I can find on the web at about 4,200,000 pixels. ???? Your 12,000,000 pixel camera will actually produce images at much lower resolution than that. The colour CCD it uses will alternate between a red pixel, a blue pixel and 2 green pixels 9because the human eye is more ... [More]
Comment icon #5 Posted by Twin 6 years ago
Thanks Waspie, good info
Comment icon #6 Posted by Daughter of the Nine Moons 6 years ago
Stunning.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Infernal Gnu 6 years ago
Pictures of the earth from deep space are aesthetically awesome yet scare the **** out of me. We are living on a tiny fragile island in the hostile vacuum of space.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Misanthropic 6 years ago
So beautiful. And now my new wallpaper!
Comment icon #9 Posted by SD455GTO 6 years ago
A selection of some really large images can be found here. Not all are the same as the one above. https://goo.gl/PQn3QP
Comment icon #10 Posted by Zalmoxis 6 years ago
Saved this one. I guess that after 30 years some people memorized the cloud patterns on the Apollo photos. What are those brighter aqua-blue patches off the eastern end of the American continent?
Comment icon #11 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf 6 years ago
What are those brighter aqua-blue patches off the eastern end of the American continent? Off the coast of Florida? I suspect it's the islands of the Carribean.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Zalmoxis 6 years ago
Off the coast of Florida? I suspect it's the islands of the Carribean. Those aren't islands because that aqua-blue hue also covers part of the middle American peninsula. Notice that area east of Florida?