Sunday, October 20, 2019

NASA releases new 'blue marble' Earth image

Posted on Tuesday, 21 July, 2015 | Comment icon 12 comments

The 'blue marble' image is the first of its kind in 43 years. Image Credit: NASA
The breathtaking image was captured one million miles away by the Deep Space Climate Observatory.
The picture is the first to capture the complete sunlit side of our planet since the Apollo 17 astronauts captured similar shots all the way back in 1972.

It was taken by NASA's new Earth Polychromatic Imaging Camera (EPIC) which consists of a high-resolution imager that can take pictures through a telescope.

Situated 1.6 million kilometers away, the probe will in future be used to monitor the climate and to help government authorities such as the Air Force and the NOAA forecast the weather in space.

The new image, which was presented to the White House today, prompted President Obama to post a Tweet saying "A beautiful reminder that we need to protect the only planet we have."

Source: The Globe and Mail | Comments (12)

Tags: Earth

Comment icon #3 Posted by Twin on 21 July, 2015, 21:29
Comment icon #4 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 21 July, 2015, 21:59
A little higher res at: http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/187_1003705_americas_dxm.png Really cool, but Maybe I don't understand what hi res is, but the best NASA pictures I can find are all lower res than my $350 camera which produces pics with about 12,000,000 pixels. The link I posted above is the best I can find on the web at about 4,200,000 pixels. ???? Your 12,000,000 pixel camera will actually produce images at much lower resolution than that. The colour CCD it uses will alternate between a red pixel, a blue pixel and 2 green pixels 9because the human eye is more ... [More]
Comment icon #5 Posted by Twin on 21 July, 2015, 22:20
Thanks Waspie, good info
Comment icon #6 Posted by Daughter of the Nine Moons on 21 July, 2015, 23:38
Stunning.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Infernal Gnu on 22 July, 2015, 2:39
Pictures of the earth from deep space are aesthetically awesome yet scare the **** out of me. We are living on a tiny fragile island in the hostile vacuum of space.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Misanthropic on 22 July, 2015, 3:38
So beautiful. And now my new wallpaper!
Comment icon #9 Posted by SD455GTO on 22 July, 2015, 17:01
A selection of some really large images can be found here. Not all are the same as the one above. https://goo.gl/PQn3QP
Comment icon #10 Posted by Zalmoxis on 24 July, 2015, 21:04
Saved this one. I guess that after 30 years some people memorized the cloud patterns on the Apollo photos. What are those brighter aqua-blue patches off the eastern end of the American continent?
Comment icon #11 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 24 July, 2015, 21:50
What are those brighter aqua-blue patches off the eastern end of the American continent? Off the coast of Florida? I suspect it's the islands of the Carribean.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Zalmoxis on 26 July, 2015, 0:11
Off the coast of Florida? I suspect it's the islands of the Carribean. Those aren't islands because that aqua-blue hue also covers part of the middle American peninsula. Notice that area east of Florida?

Ancient 'lost city' rediscovered in Cambodia
10-20-2019
Archaeologists have announced the discovery of the lost city of Mahendraparvata deep in the Cambodian jungle.
Mystery skeleton found on Mount Williamson
10-19-2019
Two climbers ascending California's second-highest peak recently uncovered a decades-old mystery.
US Navy's 'Doomsday' plane taken out by a bird
10-19-2019
An aircraft designed to survive a nuclear apocalypse recently suffered a rather unfortunate mishap.
Creepy 'haunted' doll filmed moving on its own
10-19-2019
A World War 2-era ventriloquist doll has been filmed moving its eyes and mouth in the middle of the night.
I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia

A haunting in Iowa
9-26-2019 | Central City, Iowa

Oddest thing I've ever seen
9-19-2019 | Kentucky

The blanket tugger
9-19-2019 | QLD

Unknown flash
9-19-2019 | GA

An encounter in the woods
9-17-2019 | McGuire A.F.B., NJ