Monday, March 1, 2021

Thylacine sighted in Australian coastal town

Posted on Tuesday, 29 March, 2016 | Comment icon 21 comments

The last known thylacine died at Beaumaris Zoo in 1936. Image Credit: Benjamin A. Sheppard
Being extinct hasn't stopped the elusive Tasmanian tiger from making an appearance every once in a while.
One of the best known examples of a species driven to extinction by human hunting, these striped carnivorous marsupials have been the subject of numerous unconfirmed sightings over the years.

The most recent, which took place in the town of Inverloch, was reported by local resident Barrie Murphy who spotted a strange creature while out driving earlier this month.

"At about 10.30pm, I was driving along Ullathorne Road when it crossed the road in front of me," he said. "First of all, I thought it was a fox or a cat, but as it moved off the bitumen on to the green verge, I realised it was dog sized, about the same as an Alsatian."
"It was the long, straight tail, which could have been a metre long. It was straight out, white and strong looking. The thing that really made me twig was, as I drove past it, I saw the stripes down its side and onto its flank."

His sighting is far from unique as there have been at least two other reports of alleged thylacines in the Inverloch area in recent months including one at a caravan park back in December.

"I thought I would report it so other people can keep a lookout," said Murphy.

Source: Thestar.com.au | Comments (21)

Tags: Thylacine, Tasmanian Tiger

Comment icon #12 Posted by bawdo on 30 March, 2016, 0:17
Comment icon #13 Posted by Habitat on 30 March, 2016, 0:36
The very fact he didn't capture it on camera in this day and age, refutes it entirely Hardly, but without it, it is nothing more than talk.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Gecks on 30 March, 2016, 1:21
If they found one they could just clone the bloody thing nowadays
Comment icon #15 Posted by Myles on 30 March, 2016, 11:14
The very fact he didn't capture it on camera in this day and age, refutes it entirely Not at all. He was driving. I see cool things while driving all the time. I never have my camera ready though. Now if he said it was in his back yard for a bit, a pic should have been taken. I still hold out some hope of this animal still being around. Very little hope because history shows us that it wasn't very shy.
Comment icon #16 Posted by Sundew on 30 March, 2016, 15:45
Well I hope it lives. Even though I'm not an Aussie, I've always felt badly for this animal, driving to extinction and then allowing the last one in a zoo to die of exposure. A real testament to man's poor treatment of nature.
Comment icon #17 Posted by Atuke on 30 March, 2016, 15:55
Comment icon #18 Posted by Podo on 31 March, 2016, 18:56
A tiger sighting on Tasmania is improbable, but possible. But on the Australian mainland where they went extinct over two thousand years ago? That's just wishful thinking.
Comment icon #19 Posted by BeastieRunner on 31 March, 2016, 19:27
This doesn't surprise me, although the location does. Maybe these are the descendants of the few dozen Thylacine that Neo-conservationists secured decades ago before the last died in a zoo. That is highly unlikely but I like the sentiment.
Comment icon #20 Posted by Chibadiba on 1 April, 2016, 9:42
If they found one they could just clone the bloody thing nowadays We already have it's DNA. It's just down to how to repopulate them. Clone them or artificially inseminating a close relative and have a hybrid.
Comment icon #21 Posted by DieChecker on 1 April, 2016, 11:08
There have been a number of such sightings. I do hope it is not just a dingo that's bred with some brindle coat dog....

Argentinian titanosaur may be oldest ever found
3-1-2021
Palaeontologists have unearthed what is thought to be the oldest member of one of the largest dinosaur species.
Photographs of alleged live thylacines released
3-1-2021
Trail camera images of an alleged 'thylacine family' have been revealed, but not everyone is convinced.
AI learns how to play old platform games
2-28-2021
New computer algorithms designed to beat old 80s platformers could help robots navigate your home.
Woman captures 'small humanoid' on camera
2-28-2021
Mellisa Braham had been out walking her dog last week when she photographed something very strange.
The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball