Saturday, October 31, 2020
  Bizarre

'Smart' clothes could sell themselves on eBay

Posted on Sunday, 7 August, 2016 | Comment icon 7 comments

Should clothes have their own Internet access ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Michael Gabler
What if all those unused clothes stashed in the back of your wardrobe decided to find a new owner ?
As online connectivity becomes ever more prevalent in the modern age, an increasing number of devices ranging from car dashboards to fridge-freezers are ending up with access to the Internet.

Now in a new bid to take this even further, researchers at Birmingham City University are trying to find a way to give items of clothing the ability to connect to the Internet as well.

These so-called 'smart' clothes would be capable of sending you a text message if you hadn't worn them for a while and could even list themselves on eBay if you neglected them for too long.
"Think of the surprise when an owner suddenly receives bids for items they didn’t know were in their wardrobe," said Future Media senior lecturer Mark Brill. "The connected wardrobe is a practical, engaging concept to encourage people to think about their clothing consumption."

While technically impressive, the idea of having your clothes decide when it's time for them to find a new owner isn't going to seem particularly appealing to most people.

"Perhaps we can even move away from the idea of ‘ownership’ of clothing, to simply using them as long as we need them," said Brill.

"When we’ve worn them enough, the items will pass themselves on to their next keeper to wear."

Source: Telegraph | Comments (7)

Tags: Clothes, Auction, Internet

Comment icon #1 Posted by Calibeliever on 8 August, 2016, 13:33
I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be about my personal effects announcing to the world that I'm neglecting them.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Still Waters on 8 August, 2016, 14:58
I would rather they be 'smart' enough to wash and iron themselves!
Comment icon #3 Posted by twobytwice on 8 August, 2016, 15:14
Would you really want to live in Pee Wee's playhouse where everything is "smart"?
Comment icon #4 Posted by paperdyer on 8 August, 2016, 16:44
Make them smart enough to move to the front of the clothing line so you remember you have them. I know I have the issue of forgetting I have a particular shirt.  Actually it's my T-Shirt collection.  I could wear a different T-Shirt every day for at least 2 months without repeating.  I have a separate closest just for the T's.  Mostly comics/cartoons, but others as well.  And I just keep on buying.  Just added some Suicide Squad shirts. I'm waiting for my wife to rebel.  Let's see wife or T-shirts.  Hmmmmmmmmm
Comment icon #5 Posted by Nnicolette on 8 August, 2016, 20:57
I have alotta clothes and go all year without wearing the same more than twice i dont think i want them deciding if i need to sell them i already donate what i dont want. How impractical, i agree id rather if they decided to wash themselves then when to sell themselves in fact people should all learn that as well.
Comment icon #6 Posted by little_dreamer on 11 August, 2016, 20:22
Just think, if everyone had this no one would wear the wrong size clothes again.   Too tight clothes would disappear from your closet. Better not gain any weight.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Still Waters on 11 August, 2016, 21:05
That's what I do. We get charity bags through the door from various charities who come and collect them on a specified day. Then they sell what you donate in their shops.

New York man falls into sinkhole full of rats
10-30-2020
A man who had been waiting for a bus was unaware of the nightmare scenario he was about to experience.
Rogue world found drifting through the galaxy
10-30-2020
Astronomers have discovered an Earth-sized world that is drifting freely through the cosmos without a parent star.
New study targets $10,000 quadrillion asteroid
10-29-2020
An asteroid with enough riches to make everyone on Earth a billionaire is the subject of a new Hubble study.
Entire 7,600-ton building 'walks' 62 meters
10-29-2020
A remarkable engineering project in China has seen an entire building being moved using special robotic 'legs'.
Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball