Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Mystery object found on New Zealand beach

Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2016 | Comment icon 24 comments

The object was found on Auckland's Muriwai Beach. Image Credit: Melissa Doubleday / Facebook
A shaggy object covered from top to bottom in barnacles has washed up on Muriwai Beach in Auckland.
The bizarre spectacle was photographed by local resident Melissa Doubleday who posted it up on the Muriwai & Waimauku Area Community Group Facebook page to ask for second opinions.

"Just curious to know if anyone knows what this is??! Washed up on Muriwai Beach," she wrote.

The image has since gone viral online with Internet users debating over what it could be. The suggestions so far have ranged from a washed up sea monster to a large piece of driftwood.

"I actually thought it was a washed up whale as I approached it, so weird," said Doubleday. "It looks like worms with shells I've never seen before with these funny creatures just [coming] out."

Source: Telegraph | Comments (24)

Tags: New Zealand, Beach

Comment icon #15 Posted by seanjo on 12 December, 2016, 11:27
It's a tree, probably a palm tree at a guess.
Comment icon #16 Posted by brlesq1 on 12 December, 2016, 12:08
It's alien. It's always aliens...
Comment icon #17 Posted by White Unicorn on 12 December, 2016, 14:35
I was waiting for that comment to come up LOL  It has to be an alien, I can see the lion-like face too. Look at the light brown patches, the 4th on the bottom. Instead of seeing aliens in rocks, now I can see them in barnacles. I'm sure some tabloids will run with that LOL.
Comment icon #18 Posted by roBORAT on 12 December, 2016, 19:29
What I don't understand is you see a strange one in a million object and you only photograph it once.
Comment icon #19 Posted by GiganticManchild on 12 December, 2016, 20:19
I think it looks like a tree trunk, with the root end nearest to the camera.
Comment icon #20 Posted by freetoroam on 12 December, 2016, 20:32
Gooseneck barnacles = not that uncommon, but what I do not understand is why she did not just remove a few to see what was underneath it? thats the strangest part of his story.
Comment icon #21 Posted by toast on 12 December, 2016, 23:34

Comment icon #22 Posted by Arbenol on 13 December, 2016, 0:53
I always wondered what happened to Whoopi Goldberg.
Comment icon #23 Posted by Sundew on 13 December, 2016, 3:23
An excellent guess. I just had a large one dug out of my yard after a storm toppled it. They have a fibrous root system, and the trunk is quite straight and long, very similar to what you see in the photo. They are buoyant as well; Gooseneck Barnacles are organisms of the surface waters, and of floating objects, you don't see them on a reef or underwater rocks. The down side for the organism is that they frequently get washed ashore and die from exposure.
Comment icon #24 Posted by curiouse on 13 December, 2016, 11:18
    My my guess would be a Palm Tree.??

Uranus smells like rotten eggs, say scientists
4-23-2018
Hydrogen sulfide, which gives rotten eggs their smell, has been discovered in the seventh planet's atmosphere.
'Super Earth' aliens may be trapped by gravity
4-23-2018
On planets more massive than the Earth, launching things in to space will be a lot more challenging.
Bill Gates backs 'big brother' satellite network
4-23-2018
Known as EarthNow, the project aims to offer live streaming of the entire planet 24 hours a day.
Asteroid mining could be worth trillions
4-22-2018
According to Goldman Sachs, asteroid mining has the potential to produce the world's first trillionaires.
What does space smell like ?
Posted 4-23-2018 | 0 comments
Does the vacuum of space actually smell of anything and if so, what ?

Why is US paper money green ?
Posted 4-22-2018 | 0 comments
Simon Whistler investigates why the color green was used when printing US bank notes.

Revealing the secrets of the deep ocean
Posted 4-19-2018 | 0 comments
Scientist Mandy Joye has dedicated her life to exploring the depths of the world's oceans.

Giant 3D-printed man
Posted 4-15-2018 | 2 comments
British YouTuber James Bruton has created a giant 3D-printed sculpture of himself.

The world's roundest object
Posted 4-12-2018 | 2 comments
A look at how the roundest object can help us to define the humble kilogram.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA