Tuesday, November 12, 2019

NASA to reveal 'major exoplanet discovery'

Posted on Tuesday, 21 February, 2017 | Comment icon 95 comments

What will NASA be announcing tomorrow ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Luciano Mendez
The space agency is due to announce its latest findings at a press conference on Wednesday morning.
Back in May of last year, NASA revealed the discovery of 1,284 new extrasolar planets - an impressive haul that brought the total number of known worlds up to 3,200.

Now it appears as though the space agency is preparing for another major reveal and while it isn't clear exactly what the announcement will be, rumors suggest that it will be quite significant.
The conference, which will begin at 10 a.m. PT on Wednesday, is set to be attended by big names in the field including MIT's Sara Seager and Michael Gillon from the University of Liege in Belgium.

An "Ask me Anything" session will also be hosted on Reddit following the announcement.

Click here to view the details of the announcement.

Source: CNET.com | Comments (95)

Tags: NASA, Exoplanet

Comment icon #86 Posted by Merc14 on 25 February, 2017, 3:59
Well Waspie runs a pretty tight ship here so it tends to stay on the science side here
Comment icon #87 Posted by Parsec on 25 February, 2017, 7:34
Oh gosh, I knew you would have pulled out from your hat the solar "wind".    Nevermind, I also see you are well entreched in your ideas and not interested in testing them to see if/how much you are "wooing" or not.  And you are the one putting words in other people's mouths.    For all these reasons it's pointless for me to continue engaging in this "conversation".  I will leave the fun to others, if someone will feel the need to point out all your wrong logic.    Live long and prosper.
Comment icon #88 Posted by taniwha on 25 February, 2017, 13:11
Sure.  Cheers.
Comment icon #89 Posted by Silent Trinity on 25 February, 2017, 16:24
I was referring to "old thinking", such as those who thought the Earth was flat. The power of hindsight was my point. Back when Galileo was being ridiculed for defending Heliocentrism there was plenty of that thinking going on.....
Comment icon #90 Posted by Merc14 on 25 February, 2017, 23:28
I don't think you need to g back  that far ST, seriously, look back just a couple of decades, before we knew just how many planets there really were, and you'll see that most thought life would be rare in the universe, that the conditions were so hard to get right that very few planets could even support it.   Fast forward to today and it is just the opposite.
Comment icon #91 Posted by Derek Willis on 26 February, 2017, 12:11
The belief in the likelihood of life existing elsewhere has waxed and waned. Here is a quote from The Astronomer's Telescope, written in 1962 by the famous British astronomer Patrick Moore: "Mars is certainly a fascinating world. It has an atmosphere, though we could not breathe it; it has a little water, since the white polar caps are certainly made up of some icy or frosty deposit; and very probably it supports vegetation. But we do not believe men live there, and even animals are not likely to be found." The optimistic belief that Mars very probably supports vegetation was ended just three ... [More]
Comment icon #92 Posted by Merc14 on 26 February, 2017, 17:19
It is truly amazing how much our understanding of our solar system, galaxy and universe has changed in my lifetime.
Comment icon #93 Posted by psyche101 on 27 February, 2017, 6:48
I hope so. Id like to hear how the follow up this year went. Have not been able to find anything myself on the latest observations.  And I hope it wasn't comets just between you and me
Comment icon #94 Posted by Derek Willis on 27 February, 2017, 17:01
What amazes me is that the wow! factor of these discoveries never diminishes. For example, the first Mars missions I can remember are the Mariner 6 and 7 fly-bys in 1969. Back then I had a terrestrial hand-held telescope which my dad helped me make a stand for. All I could see of Mars was a tiny red speck of light, but I remember the wow! of seeing the images sent back by the probes. Then in 1971 there was Mariner 9, which went into orbit and transmitted images of huge volcanoes and ancient river systems. In July of 1976 I bunked off school to see the first images of the surface sent back by V... [More]
Comment icon #95 Posted by taniwha on 28 February, 2017, 6:46
That is a brilliant snippet from the past, thanks for posting it.  Envisioning what life might be like on other worlds is a harmless practise. It leads to interesting ideas and discussions and perhaps greater understanding. I do not know why some people are offended by any new idea that is alien to their own personal interpretation of life beyond earth. To dream is to see.  If that wasn't the case it would have been pointless even mounting cameras on mariner 4. Surely all space technology designed to answer the question of exo life , requires the greatest measures of foresight? Hence why such ... [More]

Cat saves baby from falling down staircase
11-12-2019
This remarkable video from Colombia shows the moment a cat leaps into action to save a baby from a nasty fall.
Inmate who 'died' says he's served life sentence
11-12-2019
A man who is in jail for murder maintains that he should be released because he 'died' and was resuscitated.
'Bigfoot' charges towards boy in new footage
11-12-2019
A video has emerged showing an alleged Bigfoot charging towards a boy who was walking in the woods.
BBC film crew was held at gunpoint at Area 51
11-11-2019
Comedian Andrew Maxwell and his crew once had their own harrowing experience near the secretive facility.
The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia