Sunday, March 18, 2018

Fear of snakes 'is of evolutionary origin'

Posted on Saturday, 21 October, 2017 | Comment icon 19 comments

You don't have to have seen a snake to be afraid of them. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Luca Boldrini
A new study in Germany has suggested that we are born with an innate fear of snakes and spiders.
Despite the fact that many of us, especially those who live in colder climates, will have never actually encountered a poisonous snake or giant spider in the wild, a significant percentage of the population still possesses some level of innate fear of them.

During a recent study, scientists at the Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences (MPI CBS) in Leipzig determined that even infants, despite having never encountered such creatures and despite not being old enough to comprehend the fact that they are dangerous, still exhibited some level of stress response when exposed to images of spiders or snakes.

"When we showed pictures of a snake or a spider to the babies instead of a flower or a fish of the same size and colour, they reacted with significantly bigger pupils," said scientist Stefanie Hoehl.

"In constant light conditions this change in size of the pupils is an important signal for the activation of the noradrenergic system in the brain, which is responsible for stress reactions. Accordingly, even the youngest babies seem to be stressed by these groups of animals."

"We conclude that fear of snakes and spiders is of evolutionary origin."

"Similar to primates, mechanisms in our brains enable us to identify objects as 'spider' or 'snake' and to react to them very fast. This obviously inherited stress reaction in turn predisposes us to learn these animals as dangerous or disgusting."

Source: | Comments (19)

Tags: Phobia, Snake, Spider

Comment icon #10 Posted by spud the mackem on 21 October, 2017, 16:54
How do you find hairy caterpillars , my grandkids say my eyebrows are hairy caterpillars haha
Comment icon #11 Posted by Brok on 21 October, 2017, 17:56
Fears and phobias aren't personality traits.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Klownzilla on 22 October, 2017, 3:49
Yeah everything with more than 4 legs is granted an audience with Dr. Foot
Comment icon #13 Posted by fred_mc on 22 October, 2017, 6:04
That fear of snakes and spiders is an instinct we are born with is something that I have always believed and the study is in line with that.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Sir Smoke aLot on 22 October, 2017, 9:11
Because fangs are threatening by appearance, yes.Ican't remember of cartoons in which snakes are represented as lovely pets either. So, it's partly from appearancebut fear from those threatening things is,to some part, also imprinted from interactions with environment.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Susanc241 on 22 October, 2017, 9:20
It'sthe fact that bits (like the legs) can break off that gets to me hence chunky insects, mice andrats (which also scuttle about fast), snakes etc don't bother me. Butterflies and moths come under the 'chunky' sort. Centipedes, despite many legs they are short and not spindly. Aren't we weird?
Comment icon #16 Posted by MisterMan on 22 October, 2017, 11:23
It has long been theorized that fear of spiders and snakes has a genetic component. If you think about how natural selection works, that's not surprising at all. Individuals whoinstinctively feared and thus avoided these potentially dangerous forms tended to live longer and have more reproductive success. This study appears to support the theory. I'm not saying that fear can't be learned. Of course it can. But that doesn't exclude a genetic component.
Comment icon #17 Posted by Piney on 24 October, 2017, 13:21
I'm not afraid of either but I notice them quicker than I notice other things like ground bees or black wasps. I like watching them. Especially watching a jumping spider hunt or a water snake eating a frog or fish. I have so much black snakes and garden snakes around my friend asked me if I was breeding them.
Comment icon #18 Posted by paperdyer on 24 October, 2017, 16:44
Wasn't a similar study performed in the 1990's with the same conclusion? I've never liked snakes, spiders, roaches and the like. I like caterpillars. My daughter caught one, put a stick and some leaves and moisture in jar with it. She was hoping for a butterfly but got the scariest looking moth I ever saw. I let it go, but it almost looked demonic.
Comment icon #19 Posted by Dark_Grey on 26 October, 2017, 17:19
If fear of snakes is embedded in our genetics, what other "personality" traits have been passed down from pre-history?

Giant yellow inflatable duck goes missing
A swimming club in Australia has appealed for ships to keep a look out for its recently escaped mascot.
Could 'super corals' repopulate coral reefs ?
Scientists are attempting to create a breed of coral that is more resistant to the effects of global warming.
Did cold weather really kill the president ?
In 1841, ninth US President William Henry Harrison died of pneumonia after a mere 31 days in office.
Flying drone could launch to Mars in 2020
NASA scientists are considering whether or not to send their lightweight robotic helicopter drone to Mars.
Monkeys learn to socialize
Posted 3-18-2018 | 0 comments
These young vervet monkeys must learn to socialize before being released in to the wild.
Why don't birds get frostbite ?
Posted 3-16-2018 | 0 comments
How do birds stop their legs from getting frostbitten during freezing temperatures ?
Most straws in a beard
Posted 3-15-2018 | 2 comments
Kyle Kozemchick stuck 215 straws in to his beard for this bizarre world record attempt.
Michio Kaku on asteroid mining
Posted 3-13-2018 | 1 comment
Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku discusses the possibility of mining asteroids in space.
Fastest people in slow motion
Posted 3-12-2018 | 1 comment
A look at the world's fastest card thrower and an amazing fast draw world champion.
Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada
Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA
I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington
Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA