Sunday, August 9, 2020
  Bizarre

Man swims 4.5 miles to escape deadly shark

Posted on Monday, 23 October, 2017 | Comment icon 13 comments

The tiger shark was relentless. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Albert kok
Diver John Craig had been spear fishing off the coast of Western Australia when the incident occurred.
Craig, who moved from Sunderland in the UK to Australia two years ago, had been over four miles from the shoreline when he lost sight of his boat and got in to difficulties in the water.

To make matters worse, his plight had managed to attract the attention of a huge tiger shark.

"It was extremely close and curious and kept approaching me from different angles," he said. "It was trying to work out what I was and whether I could be on the menu."

"At this point I thought I was gone - four nautical miles out to sea with a huge tiger shark following me - I thought this was it, this is how I am going to die."
Seeing little other option, Craig started to swim back to shore with the shark following close behind.

"I would look back and see its head come out of the gloom and at my fins," he said.

Eventually though, exhausted and terrified for his life, he managed to make it to dry land.

"I could not believe that someone could swim that far in such a short period of time," said marine rescue volunteer Glen Ridgley. "I guess where there's a shark beside you spurring you on...".

Source: Chronicle Live | Comments (13)

Tags: Shark

Comment icon #4 Posted by seanjo on 23 October, 2017, 11:38
So a new world swimming record from a Makem...
Comment icon #5 Posted by Ell on 23 October, 2017, 11:53
He was lucky that the shark was friendly and that it wasn't hungry.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Timonthy on 23 October, 2017, 12:18
Tiger sharks are often portrayed as an overly aggressive species, but realistically you’re on the end of a very short stick if you get properly attacked/attempted to be eaten by one.
Comment icon #7 Posted by the artory on 23 October, 2017, 15:13
A very lucky man.  However, the picture of the shark attached to the story is not a 'relentless tiger tiger shark'  - seems to me like it is a grey nurse - and these are almost totally harmless.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Saru on 23 October, 2017, 18:30
Well you have a good eye - the shark in the picture was actually a "sand tiger shark", an easy mistake to make. The image has now been updated to show an actual tiger shark.
Comment icon #9 Posted by the artory on 23 October, 2017, 22:57
Thanks for changing the pic - and revealing what type of shark was in the original post.  This is an awesome site which I visit everyday. Keep up the great work.  If you are interested in another story of a lucky escape from a shark in Australia in the last few days  - this time a 5 metre Great White -  then check this link out.  http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-23/teenage-kayaker-survives-attack-by-great-white-shark/9075278   Cheers   Andrew
Comment icon #10 Posted by spud the mackem on 23 October, 2017, 23:15
I would assume that an experienced diver would have a means of defence like a 2 metre prod, or a spear gun, but its terrifying to be circled by a shark , I know because it happened to me when swimming off a beach at Trinidad.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Ell on 24 October, 2017, 4:16
I suspect that that was not food aggression, but mating aggression instead. The shark was not trying to eat the girl. Instead it was trying to mate with her kayak.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Smarty Throusers on 28 October, 2017, 21:43
Imagine being circled by a fish 2x the length of a man and probably 3x the weight.Sharks and the mystery of the ocean fascinate me...
Comment icon #13 Posted by MyOtherAccount on 29 October, 2017, 22:59
“I could not believe that someone could swim that far in such a short period of time,” said Glen Ridgley, from Shark Bay Volunteer Marine Rescue. I bet it was his personal best.

Woman digs 35ft tunnel to rescue son from jail
8-8-2020
A mother in Ukraine attempted to break her son out of jail by single-handedly digging an escape tunnel.
Prehistoric 'hell ant' found trapped in amber
8-8-2020
An ancient species of ant has been found frozen in time while right in the middle of devouring another insect.
'Knife-wielding baboons' seen at safari park
8-7-2020
Baboons at Knowsley Safari Park in Merseyside have reportedly taken to wielding knives and sharp tools.
What will happen at the end of the universe ?
8-7-2020
The Big Bang may have brought the universe into existence, but will a similar event bring about its demise?
Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball