Sunday, March 18, 2018

Man swims 4.5 miles to escape deadly shark

Posted on Monday, 23 October, 2017 | Comment icon 13 comments

The tiger shark was relentless. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Albert kok
Diver John Craig had been spear fishing off the coast of Western Australia when the incident occurred.
Craig, who moved from Sunderland in the UK to Australia two years ago, had been over four miles from the shoreline when he lost sight of his boat and got in to difficulties in the water.

To make matters worse, his plight had managed to attract the attention of a huge tiger shark.

"It was extremely close and curious and kept approaching me from different angles," he said. "It was trying to work out what I was and whether I could be on the menu."

"At this point I thought I was gone - four nautical miles out to sea with a huge tiger shark following me - I thought this was it, this is how I am going to die."

Seeing little other option, Craig started to swim back to shore with the shark following close behind.

"I would look back and see its head come out of the gloom and at my fins," he said.

Eventually though, exhausted and terrified for his life, he managed to make it to dry land.

"I could not believe that someone could swim that far in such a short period of time," said marine rescue volunteer Glen Ridgley. "I guess where there's a shark beside you spurring you on...".

Source: Chronicle Live | Comments (13)

Tags: Shark

Comment icon #4 Posted by seanjo on 23 October, 2017, 11:38
So a new world swimming record from a Makem...
Comment icon #5 Posted by Ell on 23 October, 2017, 11:53
He was lucky that the shark was friendly and that it wasn't hungry.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Timonthy on 23 October, 2017, 12:18
Tiger sharks are often portrayed as an overly aggressive species, but realistically you’re on the end of a very short stick if you get properly attacked/attempted to be eaten by one.
Comment icon #7 Posted by the artory on 23 October, 2017, 15:13
A very lucky man.  However, the picture of the shark attached to the story is not a 'relentless tiger tiger shark'  - seems to me like it is a grey nurse - and these are almost totally harmless.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Saru on 23 October, 2017, 18:30
Well you have a good eye - the shark in the picture was actually a "sand tiger shark", an easy mistake to make. The image has now been updated to show an actual tiger shark.
Comment icon #9 Posted by the artory on 23 October, 2017, 22:57
Thanks for changing the pic - and revealing what type of shark was in the original post.  This is an awesome site which I visit everyday. Keep up the great work.  If you are interested in another story of a lucky escape from a shark in Australia in the last few days  - this time a 5 metre Great White -  then check this link out.   Cheers   Andrew
Comment icon #10 Posted by spud the mackem on 23 October, 2017, 23:15
I would assume that an experienced diver would have a means of defence like a 2 metre prod, or a spear gun, but its terrifying to be circled by a shark , I know because it happened to me when swimming off a beach at Trinidad.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Ell on 24 October, 2017, 4:16
I suspect that that was not food aggression, but mating aggression instead. The shark was not trying to eat the girl. Instead it was trying to mate with her kayak.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Smarty Throusers on 28 October, 2017, 21:43
Imagine being circled by a fish 2x the length of a man and probably 3x the weight.Sharks and the mystery of the ocean fascinate me...
Comment icon #13 Posted by MyOtherAccount on 29 October, 2017, 22:59
“I could not believe that someone could swim that far in such a short period of time,” said Glen Ridgley, from Shark Bay Volunteer Marine Rescue. I bet it was his personal best.

Flying drone could launch to Mars in 2020
NASA scientists are considering whether or not to send their lightweight robotic helicopter drone to Mars.
Elongated skulls belonged to 'foreign' brides
Researchers have been unraveling the mystery of elongated skulls discovered in southern Germany.
Plane in Russia drops three tons of gold bars
Bars worth up to $368 million rained down after the aircraft suffered damage during takeoff on Thursday.
Court rejects man's claim that he is not dead
A Romanian court has formally rejected Constantin Reliu's claim that he is actually very much alive.
Why don't birds get frostbite ?
Posted 3-16-2018 | 0 comments
How do birds stop their legs from getting frostbitten during freezing temperatures ?
Most straws in a beard
Posted 3-15-2018 | 2 comments
Kyle Kozemchick stuck 215 straws in to his beard for this bizarre world record attempt.
Michio Kaku on asteroid mining
Posted 3-13-2018 | 1 comment
Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku discusses the possibility of mining asteroids in space.
Fastest people in slow motion
Posted 3-12-2018 | 1 comment
A look at the world's fastest card thrower and an amazing fast draw world champion.
Baby elephant overcomes fear of water
Posted 3-11-2018 | 2 comments
After a near-death experience, this young elephant became terrified of the water.
Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada
Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA
I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington
Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA