Friday, July 10, 2020

Einstein's 'secret to happiness' revealed

Posted on Tuesday, 24 October, 2017 | Comment icon 51 comments

Einstein had written the notes in place of a tip to a hotel courier. Image Credit: Ferdinand Schmutzer
Albert Einstein's handwritten notes on the secret to living a happy life have resurfaced after 95 years.
One of the most celebrated scientists in history, Albert Einstein's name itself has become synonymous with the concept of genius thanks to his myriad of contributions to the field of physics.

His interests however were not simply limited to science, as evidenced by an extraordinarily rare set of notes that he wrote for a courier all the way back in 1922.

Einstein had been staying at the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo during a lecture tour in Japan when he realized he did not have any spare change on-hand to tip the courier.
To compensate, he handed the man two handwritten notes and said - "maybe if you're lucky those notes will become much more valuable than just a regular tip."

Fast-forward to the present day and now both notes are set to fetch a fortune at auction in Jerusalem.

"A quiet and modest life brings more joy than a pursuit of success bound with constant unrest," one reads, while on the other Einstein wrote simply - "where there's a will, there's a way."

"What we're doing here is painting the portrait of Einstein - the man, the scientist, his effect on the world - through his writings," said Einstein archivist Roni Grosz. "This is a stone in the mosaic."

Source: Telegraph | Comments (51)

Tags: Einstein

Comment icon #42 Posted by Will Due on 31 October, 2017, 1:43
I didn't know. Did his ancestors own slaves? † †
Comment icon #43 Posted by ChrLzs on 31 October, 2017, 1:55
I don't know either, nor do I know the full story as told from all sides about Einstein's private life.† Do you know enough to make the judgement?† There is significant speculation that Einstein may have had a form of Asperger's Syndrome.† I know a fair bit about that, as I have at least two members of my immediate family affected...
Comment icon #44 Posted by Merc14 on 31 October, 2017, 2:04
LOL, I have no idea Will but that seems to be the latest rage in the US now, tear down history is if it disagrees wit your social justice warrior† philosophy. It disgusts me.† History is ugly, learn from it, answer your kids questions and teach them why it was wrong but don't repeat the worst aspects of it like burning books and tearing down the past.† I live in Virginia† and have enjoyed explaining to my very bright young son why the Civil War was fought and the horrible path we traveled to get to it.† Wonderful museums in my area as well.† I agree with you Chris but of course we can't know a... [More]
Comment icon #45 Posted by Will Due on 31 October, 2017, 2:24
I live in SoCal, not born but raised here. One of my brothers lives in Maryland. My wife and I visited a few years ago, what a beautiful part of the country. We visited some of the†Battlefields when were there. Antietam was especially moving. History has always fascinated me, so what they're trying to do by removing those statues really disgusts me too. I'm sure though, since the real place where kids are influenced, educated and loved is in the home, all of that nonsense will be overcome I hope. Nonetheless, I'm keeping my seatbelt on. † †
Comment icon #46 Posted by Merc14 on 31 October, 2017, 2:35
Absolutely agree and well said.
Comment icon #47 Posted by Astra. on 31 October, 2017, 8:11
And how do you know that he did not care for his son Eduard ?...that is†an unfair and rather†shallow†'assumption' that you have made.††Apparently Albert referred to his son Eduard as 'Tete'†in a fond manner, as a term of endearment. Father and son also corresponded on a regular basis before and after Eduard's illness.††† This is†not†entirely true. Eduard was diagnosed with suffering schizophrenia before he turned the tender age of 20, and unfortunately he had to be institutionalised. So I highly doubt that this young man's†mental illness and†breakdown(s)†was totally related to his father re-ma... [More]
Comment icon #48 Posted by Derek Willis on 31 October, 2017, 9:08
I see. The letters are actually converted into†italics, and it's not an optical illusion. Fortunately, unlike Einstein and Bohr, I did not - as Noteverythingisaconspiracy mentioned in an earlier post - miss my stop due to my mind being elsewhere.†
Comment icon #49 Posted by Derek Willis on 31 October, 2017, 9:53
Right from the outset of his public life, Albert Einstein was†criticized for one thing or another. The most usual is that he plagiarized his theories. A famous example are†the claims that he stole the theory of General Relativity either from Gunnar Nordstrom or David Hilbert. Both men publicly stated that was not the case. Yes, they were working on the geometrical explanation of†gravity, and yes they had discussions with Einstein, but he had the greater insight and made the greater leap. To this day there are people - often on this site - who claim "Einstein was wrong!" They don't say "Relativ... [More]
Comment icon #50 Posted by Derek Willis on 31 October, 2017, 10:16
We need to recognize and accept that all our ancestors at one time or another either enslaved people or were themselves enslaved. For example, my wife's ancestors - the Vikings - made raids on the British Isles†and took away Saxon slaves. My ancestors - the Saxons - had previously made raids on the British Isles and took away Romano-British slaves. The Romans had done†the same to the Celts. Around fifteen hundred years ago the†Baltic tribes used to make raids into Scandinavia and take away slaves from the tribes that later became the Vikings. And so on. Like you say, we should learn from histo... [More]
Comment icon #51 Posted by Noteverythingisaconspiracy on 31 October, 2017, 11:35
So many of todays problems around the world are due to people not letting go of something that happened long before they were even born. My country have done a lot of bad things, like wars, colonialism†and slavery, but I can't really change any of that. What I can do though is to make sure it doesn't happen again. I like to sum it up like this: Learn from the past, don't live in it !

Bizarre 'xenophyophores' found in the abyss
7-10-2020
Scientists have discovered a number of exotic new life forms in the deepest depths of the Pacific Ocean.
'10ft lake monster' caught on camera in China
7-9-2020
Footage showing an unidentified creature lurking in the water of a Chinese lake has appeared on social media.
Moon 'gel' mystery has finally been solved
7-9-2020
Scientists have revealed what the mysterious gel-like substance found on the lunar surface actually is.
Penguins can fire their own droppings over 4ft
7-8-2020
If there's one place you don't want to stand, it's within around 4ft of the back of a Humboldt penguin.

Grim reaper-like visitation