Sunday, February 18, 2018

Slender Man stabbing: girl gets 25 years

Posted on Friday, 22 December, 2017 | Comment icon 49 comments

The fictitious Slender Man was invented on an Internet forum. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 4.0 LuxAmber
Back in 2014, two young girls tried to kill another girl because they believed it would appease Slender Man.
The chilling incident saw Anissa Weier and Morgan Geyser, both 12, lure one of their classmates out to a woodland park in Wisconsin before attempting to take her life.

The senseless attack was reportedly 'dedicated' to Slender Man - a fictitious entity invented on an Internet forum who typically appears as a very tall, thin individual with a black suit and no face.

The character has been the subject of numerous creepypasta stories over the last few years.

Fortunately the victim was able to flag down a passing cyclist and ultimately survived her injuries, however the psychological wounds she sustained are likely to last a lifetime.

Now one of the two girls responsible, Anissa Weier, has been sentenced to the maximum punishment of 25 years in a psychiatric institution by Waukesha County Circuit Judge Michael Bohren.

"I do hold myself accountable for this and that I will do whatever I have to do to make sure I don't get any sort of delusion or whatever again," she said.

"I want everybody involved to know I deeply regret everything that happened that day. I know that nothing I say is going to make this right and nothing I say is going to fix what I broke."

Source: BBC News | Comments (49)

Tags: Slender Man

Comment icon #40 Posted by ChaosRose on 11 February, 2018, 17:43
Good.
Comment icon #41 Posted by glorybebe on 11 February, 2018, 17:49
My daughter had an acquaintance loke that. She was telling me stuff she read on the internet as fact. I told her it was not true, I had done a lot of reading in history on that very same subject. "But I read it on the internet"... uh huh.
Comment icon #42 Posted by freetoroam on 11 February, 2018, 19:58
Problem is they tend to read it on one site, they like that site, so they stick with it and do not "research" any other sources. Why are so many people 'hooked' to one story without even thinking about checking out its history? It is not as if it is not all at the touch of a few buttons. They do not have to get up and go to the library...they just need to open a new tab and research. This is worrying today, it is so so simple to research and check out reviews and information on near on everything. Even youtube have comments for and against. But some people, like these 2 girls, have read a pi... [More]
Comment icon #43 Posted by rashore on 11 February, 2018, 20:31
I'm not sure it is just the internet making or breaking the belief thing in cases like this. There have been other cases through the years of this kind of devil made me do it or belief jumping like this. Or belief like they believe they are vampires or other killing critters. Or taking fiction into fact, like the kids who did the Resevoir Dogs copycat killing. Or no killing in this jump, but the recent story where AHS fans keep breaking into a house because they think it's haunted because they watched the show. They do seem to be fairly rare thankfully enough. The general trend with true crime... [More]
Comment icon #44 Posted by freetoroam on 11 February, 2018, 21:51
It is not just the internet, as you point out, before the internet came along, people have believed in stories and believed in them to the extentthat they actually go out of the normsof reality to put the stories into practice. It can only end badly...for the believer and for their victims. The internet is just another way to access the fantasy stories, but they have to still go into the real world to harm others physically.
Comment icon #45 Posted by Piney on 11 February, 2018, 23:39
The "Lestat 90s" withkidsthinking they were vampires or werewolves.
Comment icon #46 Posted by Rlyeh on 12 February, 2018, 11:48
Wouldn't be the first time someone has killed for their imaginary friend.
Comment icon #47 Posted by justin3651 on 16 February, 2018, 7:27
According to articles in the paper here(I live an hour or so from where it was) they can both apply to get out or be moved to a lesser place like a secure group home regularly. Once they get their schizophrenia and other mental health issues stable and under control they will likely be out by 21. They will still need to keep up with their counseling and not get in trouble for 25 years and 40 years though or they can be re committed.
Comment icon #48 Posted by justin3651 on 16 February, 2018, 7:35
In regards to the crime, truly horrifying but they were just kids who both have severe legitimate mental health issues and once they are stable and have proven they will stay stable I have no problems with them being out and walking our streets. I truly doubt they'd ever re-offend short of having a long stretched severe hallucinatory schizophrenia episode.
Comment icon #49 Posted by rashore on 16 February, 2018, 23:56
Thanks for the local input justin. This particular UL to TC jump his home for me too. I've been tracking the slenderman legend for quite a while now, and a couple of my hometowns are in the area. You must be pretty deep into the SE pocket if you are only an hour away. But I kind of disagree with you on the mental health and safety with the gals. Geyser I feel more optimistic about. Despite the fact that she did more of the actual harm, she also seems to have shown more true remorse, and seems more of the dupe susceptible to egging on.. Weier I'm a bit more skeptical about.

Hunt for Earth 2.0 yields 95 new exoplanets
2-18-2018
A renewed hunt for Earth-like worlds has yielded a haul of 95 previously undiscovered extrasolar planets.
Scientists create human-sheep hybrid embryos
2-18-2018
The research aims to solve donor organ shortages by making it possible to grow human organs inside sheep.
Woman sues California over Bigfoot sighting
2-18-2018
Claudia Ackley has taken it upon herself to sue the state for refusing to acknowledge the existence of Bigfoot.
Man gets trapped down a sewer for three days
2-17-2018
The unfortunate man spent several days scrambling around the sewerage system looking for a way out.
Big Bang vs Big Bounce
Posted 2-16-2018 | 0 comments
Was there another universe here before our own universe came in to existence ?

The Leaning Tower of Lire
Posted 2-12-2018 | 0 comments
Vsauce returns with a thought-provoking video about the problem of stacking blocks.

How did the dinosaurs die ?
Posted 2-8-2018 | 1 comment
A look at the devastating events that preceded the extinction of the dinosaurs.

World's longest bicycle
Posted 2-5-2018 | 2 comments
This ridiculous bicycle measures 41.42 meters in length and took nine months to put together.

The British flying Jeep
Posted 2-3-2018 | 0 comments
The British military reportedly developed a prototype flying car all the way back in 1942.

Black hole in Bismarck
2-14-2018 | Mandan

Trapped and chased
2-9-2018 | Saskatchewan canada

Someone calling my name
2-9-2018 | Budd Lake NJ

Strange feeling
1-18-2018 | Different places

Unexplained voices
1-18-2018 | United States

First college apartment
12-31-2017 | Daytona Beach, FL

The night my niece was murdered
12-19-2017 | Delhi, Louisiana