Saturday, February 16, 2019

Slender Man stabbing: girl gets 25 years

Posted on Friday, 22 December, 2017 | Comment icon 53 comments

The fictitious Slender Man was invented on an Internet forum. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 4.0 LuxAmber
Back in 2014, two young girls tried to kill another girl because they believed it would appease Slender Man.
The chilling incident saw Anissa Weier and Morgan Geyser, both 12, lure one of their classmates out to a woodland park in Wisconsin before attempting to take her life.

The senseless attack was reportedly 'dedicated' to Slender Man - a fictitious entity invented on an Internet forum who typically appears as a very tall, thin individual with a black suit and no face.

The character has been the subject of numerous creepypasta stories over the last few years.

Fortunately the victim was able to flag down a passing cyclist and ultimately survived her injuries, however the psychological wounds she sustained are likely to last a lifetime.

Now one of the two girls responsible, Anissa Weier, has been sentenced to the maximum punishment of 25 years in a psychiatric institution by Waukesha County Circuit Judge Michael Bohren.

"I do hold myself accountable for this and that I will do whatever I have to do to make sure I don't get any sort of delusion or whatever again," she said.

"I want everybody involved to know I deeply regret everything that happened that day. I know that nothing I say is going to make this right and nothing I say is going to fix what I broke."

Source: BBC News | Comments (53)

Tags: Slender Man

Comment icon #44 Posted by freetoroam on 11 February, 2018, 21:51
It is not just the internet, as you point out, before the internet came along, people have believed in stories and believed in them to the  extent that they actually go out of the norms of reality to put the stories into practice.  It can only end badly...for the believer and for their victims. The internet is just another way to access the fantasy stories, but they have to still go into the real world to harm others physically.
Comment icon #45 Posted by Piney on 11 February, 2018, 23:39
The "Lestat 90s" with kids thinking they were vampires or werewolves.
Comment icon #46 Posted by Rlyeh on 12 February, 2018, 11:48
Wouldn't be the first time someone has killed for their imaginary friend.
Comment icon #47 Posted by justin3651 on 16 February, 2018, 7:27
According to articles in the paper here(I live an hour or so from where it was) they can both apply to get out or be moved to a lesser place like a secure group home regularly. Once they get their schizophrenia and other mental health issues stable and under control they will likely be out by 21. They will still need to keep up with their counseling and not get in trouble for 25 years and 40 years though or they can be re committed.
Comment icon #48 Posted by justin3651 on 16 February, 2018, 7:35
In regards to the crime, truly horrifying but they were just kids who both have severe legitimate mental health issues and once they are stable and have proven they will stay stable I have no problems with them being out and walking our streets. I truly doubt they'd ever re-offend short of having a long stretched severe hallucinatory schizophrenia episode.
Comment icon #49 Posted by rashore on 16 February, 2018, 23:56
  Thanks for the local input justin. This particular UL to TC jump his home for me too. I've been tracking the slenderman legend for quite a while now, and a couple of my hometowns are in the area. You must be pretty deep into the SE pocket if you are only an hour away. But I kind of disagree with you on the mental health and safety with the gals. Geyser I feel more optimistic about. Despite the fact that she did more of the actual harm, she also seems to have shown more true remorse, and seems more of the dupe susceptible to egging on.. Weier I'm a bit more skeptical about.
Comment icon #50 Posted by Kota on 16 April, 2018, 22:36
They would need constant treatment to get in under control and remain on medication, then when let out still be supervised in some way to ensure the prevention of a relapse, and who knows how far the delusion can progress. Schizophrenia is difficult because you will slip into living in a delusion and nothing people say or do will break you out of it. Sadly there’s no miracle cure. But thinking that their actions are acceptable at their age is horrifying. They for sure need to serve their time. And as previously mentioned, the 2 kids in the UK that murdered the little boy got very relaxed sente... [More]
Comment icon #51 Posted by Phaeton80 on 30 April, 2018, 10:43
..Said the US national who has been manipulated by 'the American Free Press' to cheer on illegal war after illegal war, and facilitating 'friendly regimes' with high grade military hardware to do thesame (like, say, SA in Yemen), killing hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians in the process. Dont get me wrong, this is a horrible, deranged phenomenon.. But it seems to me certain people are disgusted with these sort of national horrors, while regarding massive scale horrors outside US borders as 'business as usual', even actively supporting them based on irrational rationaliza... [More]
Comment icon #52 Posted by Merc14 on 30 April, 2018, 15:25
Comment icon #53 Posted by Phaeton80 on 1 May, 2018, 11:12
   That is to say, believing in 'slender man' is just as irrational as believing in the BS narratives based upon which massive crimes against humanity have been and are committed. The casualty rate, however, is all but comparable.

'Night owls' struggle more than 'morning larks'
2-15-2019
A new study has found that people who naturally stay up late have a harder time sticking to a 9-5 schedule.
Owl-shaped snow circle shows up in field
2-15-2019
An impressive piece of artwork shaped like an owl's head has been filmed via drone in a snowy Wiltshire field.
'Lost world' of mountains hidden under our feet
2-15-2019
Vast mountains that could be taller than Mt Everest are thought to exist hundreds of miles beneath the ground.
New dinosaur species had a heart-shaped tail
2-14-2019
Just in time for Valentine's Day, scientists have revealed a newly discovered dinosaur with a rather unique feature.
How will humans evolve ?
Posted 2-12-2019 | 0 comments
What's next for our species - what will a human of the future be like ?

Why do mirrors only flip horizontally?
Posted 2-6-2019 | 3 comments
When you look in the mirror, why is your image only flipped horizontally and not vertically ?

The quest for a superbug cure
Posted 1-31-2019 | 0 comments
Does the key to dealing with superbug infections lie deep underground in a cave ?

Round Earth vs flat Earth
Posted 1-18-2019 | 6 comments
Why do some people believe that the Earth is as flat as a pancake?

Which is correct - math or maths ?
Posted 1-10-2019 | 4 comments
For years, there has been some confusion over the shorthand of the word 'mathematics'.

My skinless demon