Monday, October 21, 2019

Huge pot of gold found under Italian theater

Posted on Wednesday, 12 September, 2018 | Comment icon 6 comments

The coins are thought to be worth millions of Euros. Image Credit: Twitter / MiBAC
Archaeologists in Italy have unearthed a broken soapstone amphora containing hundreds of gold coins.
The impressive haul was found during an excavation beneath the now-closed Cressoni Theater in Como - a city in the north of Italy.

The coins, which are today worth millions, are remarkably well preserved with their markings still clearly visible. A preliminary examination has revealed that they date back to the 5th century.

Due to the way the coins had been stored, coupled with the site's proximity to the city's forum where banks and merchants once did business, it is possible that the coins did not have a single, private owner but were instead a collective deposit that was gradually added to over time.
"We do not yet know in detail the historical and cultural significance of the find," said Alberto Bonisoli of Italy's Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities.

"But that area is proving to be a real treasure for our archaeology. A discovery that fills me with pride."

Source: Science Alert | Comments (6)

Tags: Gold, Roman, Italy

Comment icon #1 Posted by Grandpa Greenman on 12 September, 2018, 13:42
I was wondering where I left those.
Comment icon #2 Posted by pallidin on 12 September, 2018, 15:41
Given the invasion volatility during early times, I can only imagine the secreted (buried) wealth yet undiscovered. Gold, silver, jewels of very high value.
Comment icon #3 Posted by Seti42 on 12 September, 2018, 16:03
I was just thinking about that too. Some will never be found, ie: under modern structures that aren't going to be dug up/renovated anytime soon...If ever. Under private property, under water, etc. Hell, there could be a huge cache of gold just a few feet to the left of someone's freshly dug backyard pool. That might have been found, if they wanted a slightly larger pool! I wonder how much treasure of historical value was found, but not by anyone who gave a damn about history...I mean, it'd be tempting. If I found some gold that was clearly in the form of an historically important relic, I migh... [More]
Comment icon #4 Posted by DieChecker on 13 September, 2018, 8:42
Coins worth millions. What would a hand carved soap stone amphora go for? Millions? As a former D&D player, the more valuable treasure isn't always the coins. Edit: I found ceramic amphora on sale for about $10k, but not carved soap stone ones.
Comment icon #5 Posted by hetrodoxly on 13 September, 2018, 9:29
Trying to sell such things on the open market would raise suspicion straight away and you'd be caught, you'd only get a 10th of it's worth for scrap value ie melted down, i declare everything i find to the my local museum it's known as 'portable antiquities scheme' they give you a written form stating what it is and it's age etc, in these days of sophisticated forgery this gives your find provenance if you wish to sell, if your find is deemed 'treasure trove' and the museum wish to purchase it you get full market value.
Comment icon #6 Posted by AllPossible on 13 September, 2018, 11:29
Crazy part is all those ship wrecks in the Carribean that are still on the ocean floor. My uncle lives in Florida & finds random things from shipwrecks usually after a hurricane stirs up the water & sand. There is so many undiscovered valuables that like you said will probably never be discovered

Mystery surrounds London's 'Havering Hoard'
10-21-2019
An 'extraordinary' cache of Bronze Age weapons found in London has left experts scratching their heads.
45% of Americans believe in paranormal entities
10-21-2019
A new YouGov poll has revealed how many Americans believe in the existence of supernatural beings.
Britain's twelve most haunted roads revealed
10-21-2019
Motoring experts have compiled a list of twelve sinister roadways with a penchant for paranormal activity.
Two brothers saw a 'UFO battle' 40 years ago
10-20-2019
Rob and Phil Tindale have stood by their claim that they witnessed two UFOs battling in the skies over Australia.
I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia

A haunting in Iowa
9-26-2019 | Central City, Iowa

Oddest thing I've ever seen
9-19-2019 | Kentucky

The blanket tugger
9-19-2019 | QLD

Unknown flash
9-19-2019 | GA

An encounter in the woods
9-17-2019 | McGuire A.F.B., NJ