Tuesday, July 7, 2020
  Bizarre

Man builds pyramid using 1 million pennies

Posted on Sunday, 23 June, 2019 | Comment icon 11 comments

The pennies that make up the pyramid are worth $10,000. Image Credit: YouTube / Penny Building Fool
Cory Nielsen spent three years putting together the impressive structure using 1,030,315 pennies.
The 55-year-old, who is from Phoenix, Arizona, is now awaiting confirmation from Guinness World Records that his remarkable creation beats the previous world record of 1 million pennies.

The pyramid weighs 6,360 pounds, measures 44.6 inches tall and is comprised of 93,665 smaller stacks of 11 pennies with the base being 65 stacks long by 65 stacks wide.
"The way I built it, I take 11 pennies; I made a little stack, and I just place them on the ground; there is no glue, no adhesives or anything like that, and you just kind of free stack them on top of each other, and I go up consistently," he said.

Nielson was inspired to go for the record after building a smaller pyramid of 47,000 coins on his desk.

"I thought that was pretty big, and I saw people work, and they ask me if that's a world record," he said. "I'm like, I don't know, but if it isn't, I will make it one."

Source: UPI.com | Comments (11)

Tags: Pennies, Pyramid

Comment icon #2 Posted by the13bats on 22 June, 2019, 13:03
yeah, my 2 cents...yada yada yada,
Comment icon #3 Posted by Impedancer on 22 June, 2019, 15:33
One may wonder if the rapper 50 cent was involved.
Comment icon #4 Posted by AllPossible on 23 June, 2019, 13:24
Very cool. I'm amazed there isn't any glue or adhesives. Btw that's $10,303.15 lol if your curious
Comment icon #5 Posted by third_eye on 23 June, 2019, 14:39
Still some ways to get to twenty trillion though...  ~
Comment icon #6 Posted by pallidin on 23 June, 2019, 15:10
That's some Zen-type determination right there...
Comment icon #7 Posted by TripGun on 24 June, 2019, 12:23
I can think of better uses for $10,000, I can also see the bank telling him they need wrapped before they will accept him.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Dark_Grey on 24 June, 2019, 17:04
It's kind of cool I guess but didn't Nielson have something more productive he could have spent his time on? Like, anything else? Dude was stacking pennies for 20 hours a week. He had a part time job stacking...pennies.
Comment icon #9 Posted by rashore on 24 June, 2019, 17:11
Heh, some folks spend 20 hours a week playing video games, watching TV, wandering around on the internet, gardening... other hobbies too. This guys thing seems to be stacking pennies.
Comment icon #10 Posted by aztek on 24 June, 2019, 18:47
they do not anymore, if a bank does not have coin star machine, they will only accept large amount of change if it is rolled and counted.   i had several 2 liter soda bottles full of change,  my bank did not want to take them like that,  so i bought paper sleeves, and had kids separate count, and put in sleeves,  it was about 400 bucks. kids got to keep all of it,
Comment icon #11 Posted by SmartAZ on 30 June, 2019, 21:30
Well, if those are copper pennies then he has something of value. If they are zinc it's nothing more than a million pieces of trash. Why this talk of a gold standard? Our country can't even maintain a zinc standard!

Fossil of gigantic predatory fish unearthed
7-7-2020
Palaeontologists have discovered the fossil remains of a 70 million-year-old carnivorous fish in Patagonia.
Is intelligent life doomed to self-destruct ?
7-7-2020
Scientists argue that if a civilization is advanced enough to communicate with us, it can also destroy itself.
The snow on the Italian Alps is turning pink
7-6-2020
Scientists have been investigating why large swathes of glacial ice have turned a peculiar pink color.
'Unsolved Mysteries' receives '20 credible tips'
7-6-2020
The recent revival of the classic TV series has prompted several tips that could help to solve some of the cases.

Grim reaper-like visitation