Saturday, July 20, 2019

Man builds pyramid using 1 million pennies

Posted on Sunday, 23 June, 2019 | Comment icon 11 comments

The pennies that make up the pyramid are worth $10,000. Image Credit: YouTube / Penny Building Fool
Cory Nielsen spent three years putting together the impressive structure using 1,030,315 pennies.
The 55-year-old, who is from Phoenix, Arizona, is now awaiting confirmation from Guinness World Records that his remarkable creation beats the previous world record of 1 million pennies.

The pyramid weighs 6,360 pounds, measures 44.6 inches tall and is comprised of 93,665 smaller stacks of 11 pennies with the base being 65 stacks long by 65 stacks wide.

"The way I built it, I take 11 pennies; I made a little stack, and I just place them on the ground; there is no glue, no adhesives or anything like that, and you just kind of free stack them on top of each other, and I go up consistently," he said.

Nielson was inspired to go for the record after building a smaller pyramid of 47,000 coins on his desk.

"I thought that was pretty big, and I saw people work, and they ask me if that's a world record," he said. "I'm like, I don't know, but if it isn't, I will make it one."

Source: UPI.com | Comments (11)

Tags: Pennies, Pyramid

Comment icon #2 Posted by the13bats on 22 June, 2019, 13:03
yeah, my 2 cents...yada yada yada,
Comment icon #3 Posted by Impedancer on 22 June, 2019, 15:33
One may wonder if the rapper 50 cent was involved.
Comment icon #4 Posted by AllPossible on 23 June, 2019, 13:24
Very cool. I'm amazed there isn't any glue or adhesives. Btw that's $10,303.15 lol if your curious
Comment icon #5 Posted by third_eye on 23 June, 2019, 14:39
Still some ways to get to twenty trillion though...  ~
Comment icon #6 Posted by pallidin on 23 June, 2019, 15:10
That's some Zen-type determination right there...
Comment icon #7 Posted by TripGun on 24 June, 2019, 12:23
I can think of better uses for $10,000, I can also see the bank telling him they need wrapped before they will accept him.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Dark_Grey on 24 June, 2019, 17:04
It's kind of cool I guess but didn't Nielson have something more productive he could have spent his time on? Like, anything else? Dude was stacking pennies for 20 hours a week. He had a part time job stacking...pennies.
Comment icon #9 Posted by rashore on 24 June, 2019, 17:11
Heh, some folks spend 20 hours a week playing video games, watching TV, wandering around on the internet, gardening... other hobbies too. This guys thing seems to be stacking pennies.
Comment icon #10 Posted by aztek on 24 June, 2019, 18:47
they do not anymore, if a bank does not have coin star machine, they will only accept large amount of change if it is rolled and counted.   i had several 2 liter soda bottles full of change,  my bank did not want to take them like that,  so i bought paper sleeves, and had kids separate count, and put in sleeves,  it was about 400 bucks. kids got to keep all of it,
Comment icon #11 Posted by SmartAZ on 30 June, 2019, 21:30
Well, if those are copper pennies then he has something of value. If they are zinc it's nothing more than a million pieces of trash. Why this talk of a gold standard? Our country can't even maintain a zinc standard!

Tiger enters house, goes to sleep on bed
7-20-2019
A homeowner and his family were forced to flee when the enormous cat simply walked in the front door.
NASA celebrates Apollo 11's 50th anniversary
7-20-2019
Today marks exactly 50 years since Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin touched down on the lunar surface.
Incredible 'piglet squid' caught on camera
7-19-2019
Footage of the unusual cephalopod was captured in the Pacific depths by the Exploration Vessel Nautilus team.
'Storm Area 51' spawns copycat campaigns
7-19-2019
Inspired by the recent social media phenomenon, other people have started setting up their own 'storm' events.
House vibrates
7-20-2019 | Northern part of lower Michigan

Sudden writing on hand
7-20-2019 | England

Spontaneous exorcisms
7-5-2019 | Ontario

A call from 'The Lobster'
7-5-2019 | Russia

Witnessing tree spirits
6-25-2019 | Ontario

I didn't move my blankets
6-25-2019 | Spring, TX

Bitten by a spirit?...true story
6-15-2019 | Dallas, Tx