Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Large eel-like creature filmed in River Ness

Posted on Wednesday, 4 September, 2019 | Comment icon 86 comments

A still from the footage (can be viewed below). Image Credit: Facebook / Ness District Salmon Fishery Board
Footage showing a large serpentine animal swimming away from Loch Ness has recently emerged online.
The theory that some sightings of Scotland's famous Loch Ness Monster can be attributed to large eels in the water has received something of a boost this week thanks to a new video which seems to show a rather large eel-like creature passing through the murky waters of the River Ness.

Loch Ness is connected to the ocean via two waterways - the River Ness and the Caledonian Canal, meaning that there is a way for creatures from the sea to make their way into the loch.

In the video, a salmon can be seen swimming around in the foreground while the eel (or whatever it is) can be seen passing from left to right in the background, barely visible against the gloom.
The eel is believed to be moving from Loch Ness towards the sea, judging by the flow of the water.

It's difficult to determine exactly how large it is, but from the video it appears to be pretty big.

Source: Facebook | Comments (86)

Tags: Loch Ness Monster

Comment icon #77 Posted by Hankenhunter on 9 September, 2019, 5:37
Nile perch grow to enormous sizes, up to 200kg. 20 to 30 pounders would be common. They are voracious and grow quite quickly when food is abundant. If they were catching smaller fish, it is doubtful they were Nile perch.
Comment icon #78 Posted by the13bats on 9 September, 2019, 5:47
I dont care basically any, lol, lots of cast netters in central florida called them nile perch, which they looked like what is called nile perch on google and those guys knew their fish, if they are wrong so what who cares, or rather i dont care, i could call call them "invasive pan fish" and someone will get uptight and say, well bats, the invasive pan fish is actually...blah blah yada yada, what i did find interesting is sites that claim nile perch and tilapia are the same then the next site says no there not, here is what the guys caught in cast nets and call nile perch....
Comment icon #79 Posted by justin3651 on 9 September, 2019, 21:32
As a large freshwater fish enthusiast, I was curious. I was asking if you were sure that's what they said to try and figure out if they were mis using nile perch or if they (actual Nile perch) had been released illegally at some point in florida. I suspected it was a misnomer because of the reasons hankenhunter listed of their large size, quick reproduction, and habit of eating pretty much anything that fits in their mouths but I thought I'd ask to b e sure. https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-1988-02-24-0020150037-story.html According to a 16 year veteran of the Florida game and fresh... [More]
Comment icon #80 Posted by Mumbo Gumbo on 10 September, 2019, 0:17
I didn't see anything except some trash float by.
Comment icon #81 Posted by the13bats on 10 September, 2019, 1:01
Its basically illegal to release any non native fish here, so if thats the argument its just beyond weak, because we have them in great numbers countless species,  oh i have been an exotic aquarium person about 45 years, so what ? doesnt mean im always right and doesnt mean some guy who was wrong about one thing in the newspaper you disagree with was right about the parts you happen to agree with, i am good with the guys who called them nile perch knowing their fish, if your not thats fine. but on the video of the young man with his catch, what do you believe that fish is?
Comment icon #82 Posted by stereologist on 10 September, 2019, 1:27
I've seen Nle perch in Lake Vic in Africa. They are huge and eaten by many people. They are responsible for one of the great mass extinctions of vertebrates as the Nile perch have pushed many cichlids into extinction. I saw two men carrying a Nile perch over to scales for weighing. I asked if I could take a photo since the men had put a rod through its gills and the fish they held over their heads was dragging on the ground. Everone laughed and said go ahead. I got a photo. Then they told told why everyone laughed. I had taken a photo of a small fish.
Comment icon #83 Posted by Amanda Evans on 10 September, 2019, 2:08
I saw it! I saw it! It wasn't that special to be fair...
Comment icon #84 Posted by justin3651 on 10 September, 2019, 2:14
You have misunderstood me. I fully believe that many exotic species have and continue to be introduced to waters all over the planet. I was pointing out that he had listed an average when he said 150-200 lbs but that they have been recorded even larger. I misspoke when I said he was kinda wrong. I was adding to what he said, not disproving it. The guy in the video calling it Nile perch and the people calling it that is inaccurate, regardless of how many people do so. I believe it's a tilapia in the video. Even if it's not though it's not a nile perch.
Comment icon #85 Posted by DemiDarkWitchLady on 9 December, 2019, 12:48
This paranormal cryptid post reminds me alot of water horses like Kelpies or Puca who are actually water goblins who drown or eat unfortunate people and unfortunate animals who get to close to water.
Comment icon #86 Posted by tortugabob on 9 December, 2019, 23:54
Didn't see crap. Nothing to see here people. Move along.

Fossil of gigantic predatory fish unearthed
7-7-2020
Palaeontologists have discovered the fossil remains of a 70 million-year-old carnivorous fish in Patagonia.
Is intelligent life doomed to self-destruct ?
7-7-2020
Scientists argue that if a civilization is advanced enough to communicate with us, it can also destroy itself.
The snow on the Italian Alps is turning pink
7-6-2020
Scientists have been investigating why large swathes of glacial ice have turned a peculiar pink color.
'Unsolved Mysteries' receives '20 credible tips'
7-6-2020
The recent revival of the classic TV series has prompted several tips that could help to solve some of the cases.

Grim reaper-like visitation