Monday, December 9, 2019

143 new Nazca geoglyphs discovered in Peru

Posted on Tuesday, 19 November, 2019 | Comment icon 25 comments

One of the many new geoglyphs uncovered by the AI. Image Credit: Yamagata University / IBM
Researchers have used an artificial intelligence to identity previously unseen drawings on the desert floor.
Situated on a remote arid plateau in southern Peru, the Nazca Lines are a series of spectacular artistic designs, including images of spiders, monkeys, hummingbirds, fish and lizards, which were etched in to the ground more than 2,000 years ago.

Now researchers from Japan's Yamagata University have revealed the discovery of 143 additional geoglyphs dating back to between 100 BCE and 300 CE.

The team used an IBM artificial intelligence system to analyze large amounts of high-resolution satellite and drone imagery and to look for the telltale signs of man-made markings.
Many of these had mostly worn away and would have been next to impossible to spot otherwise.

"All of these figures were created by removing the black stones that cover the land, thereby exposing the white sand beneath," the team wrote.

While nobody is quite sure exactly why the geoglyphs were created, some researchers believe that they were designed to be seen by deities up in the sky or that they had astronomical significance.

The fact that they had been designed to be seen only from high above has long made them a particularly fascinating phenomenon.

Source: Science Alert | Comments (25)

Tags: Nazca Lines, Geoglyphs

Comment icon #16 Posted by DieChecker on 19 November, 2019, 2:47
I like the one that looks like a three eared bunny with a club.
Comment icon #17 Posted by Noteverythingisaconspiracy on 19 November, 2019, 11:52
The Atlantean used the lines as a racetrack, they called it NAZCA racing.
Comment icon #18 Posted by Nnicolette on 19 November, 2019, 13:31
No! Anybody with eyes can see that they aren't even drawing the lines correctly. Theres lines below not drawn and parts not included. Also that "two headed snake" very clearly is a bit longer than the idiotic drawing on the picture...
Comment icon #19 Posted by Piney on 19 November, 2019, 13:41
STOP IT!!! JUST STOP IT!!!  Damn Swedes!!!
Comment icon #20 Posted by Noteverythingisaconspiracy on 19 November, 2019, 17:36
Make me.  Your mean.  I thought about reporting you to a moderator, but then I remembered that @kmt_sesh can be just as mean as you are.
Comment icon #21 Posted by kmt_sesh on 19 November, 2019, 17:38
You know me too well.
Comment icon #22 Posted by MDagger on 19 November, 2019, 17:49
It would be nice to see the photos without the imposed outlines drawn over them like the first example to get our own impressions. MDagger
Comment icon #23 Posted by ThereWeAreThen on 19 November, 2019, 19:16
That tickled me.
Comment icon #24 Posted by Mello_ on 20 November, 2019, 15:51
I think Nazca peeps used  those lines for religion purpose. I mean how would you else explained such a Sizifs work? Nevertheless Nazca are cool. Same as Inca, Toltec, Olmecs, Anasazi and my fav Maya.
Comment icon #25 Posted by Piney on 20 November, 2019, 18:15
Most likely.  My ancestors probably built the Great Serpent Mound in response to Halley's Comet. The "Alligator" Mound represents the sacred Panther Clan who are hereditary healers and holy folk.

Can dogs smell the passage of time ?
12-9-2019
Some dogs seem to have the uncanny ability to know exactly when their owner is returning home, but how ?
'Expedition Bigfoot' set to track down Sasquatch
12-8-2019
A new TV series will follow a team of Bigfoot hunters as they attempt to find evidence of the creature's existence.
Plants 'scream' when stressed out, study finds
12-8-2019
Scientists have discovered that plants emit ultrasonic 'squeals' when stressed due to drought or damage.
Pentagon in U-turn over secretive UFO program
12-8-2019
The US government has completely changed its story over the purpose of its now-cancelled UFO program.
My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA

The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia