Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Mystery man haunts Swiss woods for 10 years

Posted on Thursday, 12 September, 2013 | Comment icon 58 comments

Nobody has ever seen the man's face. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Drew Coffman
A strange man in a gask mask and military clothing has been sighted numerous times over the last decade.
Known only as 'Le Leyon', the mysterious stranger has puzzled locals and authorities in Switzerland for years. Alleged to walk the same route through the woods every day, he always wears the same outfit and nobody has ever seen his face. The mystery surrounding his identity and purpose in the area has been the subject of much concern and intrigue.

"He had a military cape, boots and an army gas mark - an antique type, I think," said an unnamed local photographer who managed to snap a photograph of the man. "He measured more than 1.9m. He stared at me then turned his back on me and left in silence."

Some area residents have also expressed fears over the man's intentions. "He came out of the woods with his military clothes," said one woman. "We saw neither his face nor his eyes behind his big dark gas mask. It was scary and I know women who are venturing alone in the forest."

Authorities are currently attempting to track down and identify the man but have so far come up empty.

Source: The Australian | Comments (58)

Tags: Switzerland

Comment icon #49 Posted by Lava_Lady on 15 September, 2013, 22:50
Comment icon #50 Posted by freetoroam on 15 September, 2013, 23:25
I would have named him/her, "Le Elephante" because he looks like an elephant with the gas mask thing hanging on his face...... or am I just imagining that? If there is no hose hanging then perhaps "Le Pig" or "Le Alien" or "Le Giant Ant". I have a headache. Elephante? Pig? Alien? ANT? Why am I relieved your head suddenly hurts? lol
Comment icon #51 Posted by Lava_Lady on 15 September, 2013, 23:33
Elephante? Pig? Alien? ANT? Why am I relieved your head suddenly hurts? lol haha! I'm trying to think what animals those old gas masks look like! Certainly doesn't look like a lion, although Loyon doesn't mean lion, it could look vaguely elephant like but only if it has a hose but if it doesn't have a hose than it might pass as a pig than I thought, no, not really because although it kind of has a snout thingy the eye part would be too big then I thought it would look like an alien because they supposedly have a big head but then no, because they have small mouths so maybe an ant??? No.... and... [More]
Comment icon #52 Posted by Colonel Rhuairidh on 16 September, 2013, 6:31
I would have named him/her, "Le Elephante" because he looks like an elephant with the gas mask thing hanging on his face...... or am I just imagining that? If there is no hose hanging then perhaps "Le Pig" or "Le Alien" or "Le Giant Ant". I have a headache. L'éléphant, le cochon or, er, le fourmi géante?
Comment icon #53 Posted by Colonel Rhuairidh on 16 September, 2013, 7:29
* Just an observation: this thread -- http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=254699 about a sinister Clown* spooking people in England. Now, he only popped up on Friday, and already people have got decent pictures of him. So I really can't believe that no one had managed to get a picture of this Loyon character in ten years, I really don't. * well obviously he would be
Comment icon #54 Posted by BorisIWantToKnow on 17 September, 2013, 21:20
Maybe people in Switzerland are more scared then the boys and girls in Northampton!
Comment icon #55 Posted by Rafterman on 1 October, 2013, 19:38
So have they managed to talk with this elusive figure yet?
Comment icon #56 Posted by WalkingDude20 on 18 January, 2014, 10:02
Le Loyon means "The Lion" or "The Warrior" most likely dubbed this because of his post apocalyptic/war time garb.
Comment icon #57 Posted by acute on 18 January, 2014, 10:27
I'm not too convinced by the photograph either, there's something not right about it apart from it being blurry, The figure doesn't seem to be standing on the ground, it's like it's been added later. Does anyone else think the picture looks odd? It looks ok to me. The lighting of the figure is consistent with the surroundings. Great story though! If he hasn't approached anyone in 10 years, he's obviously just a harmless nut. .
Comment icon #58 Posted by Still Waters on 18 January, 2014, 12:14
Things have moved on since I first posted this new story, since then it appears he's no longer with us - http://www.unexplain...howtopic=259971 In view of this I'm closing this thread. Any further comments can be posted in the thread I've linked to.

Porpoise unearthed in medieval graveyard
9-20-2017
A recent archaeological dig near Guernsey has yielded something rather unexpected - a porpoise skeleton.
Mystery surrounds flushed money in Geneva
9-19-2017
An unknown individual has been flushing thousands of euros down the toilet and nobody knows why.
'Octopus city' found off coast of Australia
9-19-2017
Members of the gloomy octopus species have created their own underwater settlement dubbed 'Octlantis'.
60 ancient shipwrecks found in the Black Sea
9-19-2017
Marine archaeologists unexpectedly stumbled across a goldmine of shipwrecks during a recent expedition.
Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

I'll eat my hat
Posted 9-18-2017 | 0 comments
Where did the strange phrase 'I'll eat my hat' actually come from ?

Meet the microscopic life in your home
Posted 9-17-2017 | 0 comments
Think your home is free of meddlesome microscopic life forms ? Think again.

Are rats friends or foes ?
Posted 9-16-2017 | 3 comments
Rats are certainly not humanity's favorite animals, but just how bad are they really ?

How not to land a rocket booster
Posted 9-15-2017 | 0 comments
It took SpaceX more than a few tries to master the complicated landing process.

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY