Sunday, December 4, 2016

Mystery man haunts Swiss woods for 10 years

Posted on Thursday, 12 September, 2013 | Comment icon 58 comments

Nobody has ever seen the man's face. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Drew Coffman
A strange man in a gask mask and military clothing has been sighted numerous times over the last decade.
Known only as 'Le Leyon', the mysterious stranger has puzzled locals and authorities in Switzerland for years. Alleged to walk the same route through the woods every day, he always wears the same outfit and nobody has ever seen his face. The mystery surrounding his identity and purpose in the area has been the subject of much concern and intrigue.

"He had a military cape, boots and an army gas mark - an antique type, I think," said an unnamed local photographer who managed to snap a photograph of the man. "He measured more than 1.9m. He stared at me then turned his back on me and left in silence."

Some area residents have also expressed fears over the man's intentions. "He came out of the woods with his military clothes," said one woman. "We saw neither his face nor his eyes behind his big dark gas mask. It was scary and I know women who are venturing alone in the forest."

Authorities are currently attempting to track down and identify the man but have so far come up empty.

Source: The Australian | Comments (58)

Tags: Switzerland

Comment icon #49 Posted by Lava_Lady on 15 September, 2013, 22:50
Comment icon #50 Posted by freetoroam on 15 September, 2013, 23:25
I would have named him/her, "Le Elephante" because he looks like an elephant with the gas mask thing hanging on his face...... or am I just imagining that? If there is no hose hanging then perhaps "Le Pig" or "Le Alien" or "Le Giant Ant". I have a headache. Elephante? Pig? Alien? ANT? Why am I relieved your head suddenly hurts? lol
Comment icon #51 Posted by Lava_Lady on 15 September, 2013, 23:33
Elephante? Pig? Alien? ANT? Why am I relieved your head suddenly hurts? lol haha! I'm trying to think what animals those old gas masks look like! Certainly doesn't look like a lion, although Loyon doesn't mean lion, it could look vaguely elephant like but only if it has a hose but if it doesn't have a hose than it might pass as a pig than I thought, no, not really because although it kind of has a snout thingy the eye part would be too big then I thought it would look like an alien because they supposedly have a big head but then no, because they have small mouths so maybe an ant??? No.... and... [More]
Comment icon #52 Posted by Colonel Rhuairidh on 16 September, 2013, 6:31
I would have named him/her, "Le Elephante" because he looks like an elephant with the gas mask thing hanging on his face...... or am I just imagining that? If there is no hose hanging then perhaps "Le Pig" or "Le Alien" or "Le Giant Ant". I have a headache. L'éléphant, le cochon or, er, le fourmi géante?
Comment icon #53 Posted by Colonel Rhuairidh on 16 September, 2013, 7:29
* Just an observation: this thread -- http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=254699 about a sinister Clown* spooking people in England. Now, he only popped up on Friday, and already people have got decent pictures of him. So I really can't believe that no one had managed to get a picture of this Loyon character in ten years, I really don't. * well obviously he would be
Comment icon #54 Posted by BorisIWantToKnow on 17 September, 2013, 21:20
Maybe people in Switzerland are more scared then the boys and girls in Northampton!
Comment icon #55 Posted by Rafterman on 1 October, 2013, 19:38
So have they managed to talk with this elusive figure yet?
Comment icon #56 Posted by WalkingDude20 on 18 January, 2014, 10:02
Le Loyon means "The Lion" or "The Warrior" most likely dubbed this because of his post apocalyptic/war time garb.
Comment icon #57 Posted by acute on 18 January, 2014, 10:27
I'm not too convinced by the photograph either, there's something not right about it apart from it being blurry, The figure doesn't seem to be standing on the ground, it's like it's been added later. Does anyone else think the picture looks odd? It looks ok to me. The lighting of the figure is consistent with the surroundings. Great story though! If he hasn't approached anyone in 10 years, he's obviously just a harmless nut. .
Comment icon #58 Posted by Still Waters on 18 January, 2014, 12:14
Things have moved on since I first posted this new story, since then it appears he's no longer with us - http://www.unexplain...howtopic=259971 In view of this I'm closing this thread. Any further comments can be posted in the thread I've linked to.

Giant air-breathing fish found in the Amazon
12-3-2016
A new species of the mysterious arapaima has been discovered in the remote backwaters of the Amazon.
Two new video clips show alleged thylacines
12-3-2016
The Thylacine Awareness Group of Australia has released two new clips recorded using a trail camera.
Full-scale 'Titanic' being built in China
12-3-2016
The life-size replica of the ill-fated vessel will even feature a simulation of the iceberg collision.
Man is attempting to swim across the Atlantic
12-2-2016
British swimmer Ben Hooper has embarked on a seemingly impossible feat of strength and endurance.
Featured book

By Toryn Chapman
Campbell Mackenzie is a successful lawyer with occasional feelings of déjà vu. There's just one problem, though - it's not déjà vu.
Jumping widowbirds
Posted 12-3-2016 | 2 comments
These male widowbirds are competing to see which of them can jump the highest.

Why do we like shiny things ?
Posted 12-2-2016 | 7 comments
Why do we seem to be intrinsically drawn from an early age to shiny objects ?

Why are dogs so different ?
Posted 12-1-2016 | 4 comments
Despite being the same species, various breeds of dogs can be very different indeed.

Pulling a fire engine
Posted 11-30-2016 | 0 comments
Strongman Kevin Fast and his two sons manage to pull a fire engine over 100ft.

How to jump from the edge of space
Posted 11-29-2016 | 2 comments
In 2014, Alan Eustace donned a special spacesuit and jumped from over 135,000 feet.

Not my daughter