Monday, January 27, 2020

13 cows inexplicably leap over cliff edge

Posted on Tuesday, 6 June, 2017 | Comment icon 57 comments

Why did the cows jump off the cliff ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 4.0 Sondreaasan
Farmers in Switzerland were left perplexed after the animals escaped their pen and leapt to their deaths.
The peculiar incident, which happened on Wednesday night near the village of Levron, saw a total of 13 cows breaking out of their pen, running towards a cliff edge and then hurling themselves off it.

12 of the animals were killed by the 50-meter drop while one, which seemingly landed on top of the others which cushioned the fall, managed to survive and was later taken to an animal hospital.

"The cows broke through several lines around the pasture before finding themselves on the ridge," said local farming insurance company president Norbert Terrettaz.
"They fell into the void, as though they were forced into it."

One possible explanation is that the animals had been spooked by a predator or a dog.

"They must have been blocked somehow," said breeder Benoit Berguerand. "One or two cows falling off, that's possible. Thirteen, that's a new and incomprehensible phenomenon."

"It is unlikely that they threw themselves off without pressure."

Source: The Local | Comments (57)

Tags: Cows, Switzerland

Comment icon #48 Posted by docyabut2 on 10 June, 2017, 1:49
That happened all over the world  herds of animals falling  off the cliffs. Its  what ever shocks them into running and they don't know where they are running to.
Comment icon #49 Posted by The Silver Thong on 10 June, 2017, 2:01
When I was a kid I chased cows. When they turned on me I was the dumb one running for my life slipping and sliding in cow poo. They must of had a good laugh at that one. Dumb human
Comment icon #50 Posted by Matt221 on 10 June, 2017, 16:04
When I was younger me and a friend usedately to shout at cows in particular field they used to charge like hell at us and stop within a few feet I never had the bottle to just stand there as my mate did
Comment icon #51 Posted by Matt221 on 10 June, 2017, 16:06
When I was younger me and a friend used to shout at cows in particular field they used to charge like hell at us and stop within a few feet I never had the bottle to just stand there as my mate did guess who legged it and slipped over and landed in the s**t
Comment icon #52 Posted by Matt221 on 10 June, 2017, 16:09
Double post wtf sorry people
Comment icon #53 Posted by Sundew on 16 June, 2017, 22:57
Did they meat their Maker?
Comment icon #54 Posted by MissJatti on 18 June, 2017, 9:03
Fck living on the farm, we wanna be free. "This way to cow heaven, follow me cows"
Comment icon #55 Posted by BeastieRunner on 19 June, 2017, 18:11
Cowhalla.
Comment icon #56 Posted by KNash on 29 June, 2017, 4:27
Didn't the same thing happen on an episode of South Park?
Comment icon #57 Posted by Matt221 on 29 June, 2017, 17:06
Cows called Daisy Are often lazy. But cows called Brian They be flyin' Up in the air And out into space Because of the grass And the gasses it makes!

Millions of desert locusts descend on Africa
1-26-2020
A plague of locusts of biblical proportions has been devouring vast swathes of crops across east Africa.
Fish farm plans rejected after 'fairies' warning
1-26-2020
A Scottish council recently received a letter warning that the lives of workers could be endangered by fairies.
Another 'Bigfoot' shows up on WSDOT webcam
1-26-2020
Authorities in Washington have recorded footage of a figure trudging through the snow near Snoqualmie Pass.
Space Force logo looks like it's from Star Trek
1-25-2020
President Donald Trump has revealed the official logo for the US Space Force - and it looks somewhat familiar...
Dog and Jamaican statue
1-10-2020 | Canada

Life changing experience
12-19-2019 | Australia

Unexplained smoke or fog
12-19-2019 | West Texas, USA

He came in the night
12-19-2019 | CA

My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA