Tuesday, November 21, 2017

48-year-old man believes he is a dog

Posted on Saturday, 9 November, 2013 | Comment icon 51 comments

Some would say Mathews takes his fascination with dogs a little too far. Image Credit: sxc.hu
Gary Matthews spends much of his time dressed up in a dog costume and going by the name 'boomer'.
The retired technology worker is such a fan of dogs that he goes to great lengths to look and behave like one. Wearing a collar along with his oversized dog costume made from strips of shredded paper, Mathews can often be found wandering around Pittsburgh barking at cars and digging holes.

"When I go out, I get the feeling and I wave to people as a dog," he said. "I go to local festivals because kids like the costume. That's my way of reaching out to people and spreading the word that I can be myself in life. They see that you can have fun in adulthood. But I am kind of a loner dog."

Despite enjoying regular human food most of the time, Mathews sometimes indulges with a meal of dog food scoffed from an actual dog bowl. "I don't eat dog food every day," he said. "It's a special thing for me to do once in awhile to get closer to feeling like a canine. I eat the canned kind. It's not bad -- it tastes OK. I eat regular human food, too, like pizza."

Having been featured on the National Geographic special "Extreme Anthromorphism: Boomer the Dog", Mathews has become something of a celebrity in his niche. The name "Boomer" originated with a TV shows called "Here's Boomer" that ran from 1979 to 1982 and his obsession with all things dog-like began when he saw Disney's "101 Dalmatians" and "The Shaggy Dog" when he was a child.

Source: Yahoo! News | Comments (51)

Tags: Dog

Comment icon #42 Posted by gatekeeper32 on 10 November, 2013, 15:36
Any chance of calling the hypnotist back?
Comment icon #43 Posted by Lava_Lady on 11 November, 2013, 0:03
The title of this article, "... Man Thinks He's a Dog..." is pretty misleading since he doesn't think he's a dog at all. He just likes to dress up as a dog and wants to live a dog like life. Yes, a bit weird but, if he actually thought he was a dog he wouldn't be able to answer questions for the article or carry on with the activities of daily living that are specifically human... lol I think he's just an eccentric man with too much time on his hands or would be paws.
Comment icon #44 Posted by Robert1 on 11 November, 2013, 0:37
I like dogs...I really like dogs. However, I've never/ever wanted to *be* a dog. IMO this fellow is more than a few kibbles short of a complete bag of dogfood. I agree. This guy really has some issues to deal with.
Comment icon #45 Posted by Calibeliever on 11 November, 2013, 19:41
Wonder what he does for a living? A roofer? What's his favorite vegetable? Collie Flower? I could go on ...
Comment icon #46 Posted by OverSword on 11 November, 2013, 19:58
Comment icon #47 Posted by The New Richard Nixon on 11 November, 2013, 20:08
I do hope this man never starts dating. i can see where that comment is going
Comment icon #48 Posted by Kelevra on 14 November, 2013, 1:51
Some people here are judging Boomer too harshly. The guy want's to be like a dog. Who's that hurting. Good for him. Depends on who's leg he's near when he goes into heat.
Comment icon #49 Posted by Lilly on 14 November, 2013, 2:14
Depends on who's leg he's near when he goes into heat. FYI, only female dogs go into heat. Male dogs then mindlessly pursue the female dog (I suspect that was what you had in mind).
Comment icon #50 Posted by Kelevra on 14 November, 2013, 2:30
I did, my new pup just went into heat for the first time this past month, so she's got me just slinging the word around everywhere/
Comment icon #51 Posted by homo.liberis on 27 November, 2013, 19:16
A likely tail!

Could dust have carried alien life to Earth ?
11-20-2017
Scientists believe that interstellar dust streams might be able to transfer organisms between planets.
Big earthquakes to occur more often in 2018
11-20-2017
A periodic slowing of the rotation of the Earth is likely to result in an upsurge in earthquakes next year.
NASA scientist is fed up with Nibiru theories
11-19-2017
Astrophysicist David Morrison has been repeatedly explaining to people that Nibiru doesn't exist for years.
Dalhousie Mountain carvings mystery endures
11-19-2017
A series of names carved in to the rocks of Dalhousie Mountain are thought to date back over 100 years.
What do we know of the giant squid ?
Posted 11-20-2017 | 1 comment
The giant squid is so elusive that it took until 2004 for someone to photograph a live specimen.

Slow motion katana slice
Posted 11-18-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt to slice through a row of water bottles using a katana sword.

What happened to the Library of Alexandria ?
Posted 11-17-2017 | 5 comments
What really happened to the vast wealth of knowledge stored in the ancient library ?

World's largest sticker ball
Posted 11-14-2017 | 1 comment
This enormous ball of stickers contains somewhere in the region of 200,000 stickers.

Caving claustrophobia
Posted 11-10-2017 | 12 comments
A montage of shots from caving in some of the most cramped conditions on Earth.

Strange occurrences
11-15-2017 | Fife

Mysterious music box song
11-15-2017 | U.S.A

Haunted military house
10-23-2017 | New Zealand

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom

Ghost playing with a balloon?
10-18-2017 | Australia