Thursday, September 29, 2016

48-year-old man believes he is a dog

Posted on Saturday, 9 November, 2013 | Comment icon 51 comments

Some would say Mathews takes his fascination with dogs a little too far. Image Credit: sxc.hu
Gary Matthews spends much of his time dressed up in a dog costume and going by the name 'boomer'.
The retired technology worker is such a fan of dogs that he goes to great lengths to look and behave like one. Wearing a collar along with his oversized dog costume made from strips of shredded paper, Mathews can often be found wandering around Pittsburgh barking at cars and digging holes.

"When I go out, I get the feeling and I wave to people as a dog," he said. "I go to local festivals because kids like the costume. That's my way of reaching out to people and spreading the word that I can be myself in life. They see that you can have fun in adulthood. But I am kind of a loner dog."

Despite enjoying regular human food most of the time, Mathews sometimes indulges with a meal of dog food scoffed from an actual dog bowl. "I don't eat dog food every day," he said. "It's a special thing for me to do once in awhile to get closer to feeling like a canine. I eat the canned kind. It's not bad -- it tastes OK. I eat regular human food, too, like pizza."

Having been featured on the National Geographic special "Extreme Anthromorphism: Boomer the Dog", Mathews has become something of a celebrity in his niche. The name "Boomer" originated with a TV shows called "Here's Boomer" that ran from 1979 to 1982 and his obsession with all things dog-like began when he saw Disney's "101 Dalmatians" and "The Shaggy Dog" when he was a child.

Source: Yahoo! News | Comments (51)

Tags: Dog

Comment icon #42 Posted by gatekeeper32 on 10 November, 2013, 15:36
Any chance of calling the hypnotist back?
Comment icon #43 Posted by Lava_Lady on 11 November, 2013, 0:03
The title of this article, "... Man Thinks He's a Dog..." is pretty misleading since he doesn't think he's a dog at all. He just likes to dress up as a dog and wants to live a dog like life. Yes, a bit weird but, if he actually thought he was a dog he wouldn't be able to answer questions for the article or carry on with the activities of daily living that are specifically human... lol I think he's just an eccentric man with too much time on his hands or would be paws.
Comment icon #44 Posted by Robert1 on 11 November, 2013, 0:37
I like dogs...I really like dogs. However, I've never/ever wanted to *be* a dog. IMO this fellow is more than a few kibbles short of a complete bag of dogfood. I agree. This guy really has some issues to deal with.
Comment icon #45 Posted by Calibeliever on 11 November, 2013, 19:41
Wonder what he does for a living? A roofer? What's his favorite vegetable? Collie Flower? I could go on ...
Comment icon #46 Posted by OverSword on 11 November, 2013, 19:58
Comment icon #47 Posted by The New Richard Nixon on 11 November, 2013, 20:08
I do hope this man never starts dating. i can see where that comment is going
Comment icon #48 Posted by Kelevra on 14 November, 2013, 1:51
Some people here are judging Boomer too harshly. The guy want's to be like a dog. Who's that hurting. Good for him. Depends on who's leg he's near when he goes into heat.
Comment icon #49 Posted by Lilly on 14 November, 2013, 2:14
Depends on who's leg he's near when he goes into heat. FYI, only female dogs go into heat. Male dogs then mindlessly pursue the female dog (I suspect that was what you had in mind).
Comment icon #50 Posted by Kelevra on 14 November, 2013, 2:30
I did, my new pup just went into heat for the first time this past month, so she's got me just slinging the word around everywhere/
Comment icon #51 Posted by homo.liberis on 27 November, 2013, 19:16
A likely tail!

SpaceX plans to send humans to Mars by 2022
9-28-2016
Elon Musk has outlined his extraordinarily ambitious plans to make mankind an interplanetary species.
Proteins found in prehistoric ostrich eggs
9-28-2016
Scientists have discovered the world's oldest genetic information within 3.8 million-year-old eggshells.
Police helicopter films UFO on thermal camera
9-27-2016
Thermal footage of a strange object flying over the Bristol Channel in the UK has been uploaded online.
Melting glaciers could expose Cold War base
9-27-2016
A secret US facility hidden beneath the ice is believed to contain significant amounts of nuclear waste.
Alaska's bubbling lakes
Posted 9-28-2016 | 0 comments
Many lakes in the boreal regions of Alaska are emitting copious amounts of methane gas.

Elephants unite
Posted 9-27-2016 | 0 comments
Two elephant families decide to join together on the plains of Africa in this BBC wildlife clip.

Why do we get pruney fingers in water ?
Posted 9-26-2016 | 2 comments
Why do your fingers turn in to prunes when you stay in the bath too long ?

Crushing shoes
Posted 9-25-2016 | 0 comments
What happens when you crush shoes in a high-powered hydraulic press ?

Meet the human torch
Posted 9-24-2016 | 0 comments
Josef Toedtling from Austria has made a successful career out of setting himself on fire.

Black magic
9-27-2016 | Mineral Wells, Texas

Crying mother
9-27-2016 | Centrol Mexico

Red-faced monster
9-14-2016 | Lox Florida

Locked door
9-14-2016 | Ho Chi Minh city/Vietnam

The visit
9-9-2016 | West Palm Beach, Fl

Translucent silent UFO
9-9-2016 | Brisbane/Australia

Sleep paralysis and strange activity
9-1-2016 | Tarpon Springs, FL