Wednesday, January 18, 2017

48-year-old man believes he is a dog

Posted on Saturday, 9 November, 2013 | Comment icon 51 comments

Some would say Mathews takes his fascination with dogs a little too far. Image Credit: sxc.hu
Gary Matthews spends much of his time dressed up in a dog costume and going by the name 'boomer'.
The retired technology worker is such a fan of dogs that he goes to great lengths to look and behave like one. Wearing a collar along with his oversized dog costume made from strips of shredded paper, Mathews can often be found wandering around Pittsburgh barking at cars and digging holes.

"When I go out, I get the feeling and I wave to people as a dog," he said. "I go to local festivals because kids like the costume. That's my way of reaching out to people and spreading the word that I can be myself in life. They see that you can have fun in adulthood. But I am kind of a loner dog."

Despite enjoying regular human food most of the time, Mathews sometimes indulges with a meal of dog food scoffed from an actual dog bowl. "I don't eat dog food every day," he said. "It's a special thing for me to do once in awhile to get closer to feeling like a canine. I eat the canned kind. It's not bad -- it tastes OK. I eat regular human food, too, like pizza."

Having been featured on the National Geographic special "Extreme Anthromorphism: Boomer the Dog", Mathews has become something of a celebrity in his niche. The name "Boomer" originated with a TV shows called "Here's Boomer" that ran from 1979 to 1982 and his obsession with all things dog-like began when he saw Disney's "101 Dalmatians" and "The Shaggy Dog" when he was a child.

Source: Yahoo! News | Comments (51)

Tags: Dog

Comment icon #42 Posted by gatekeeper32 on 10 November, 2013, 15:36
Any chance of calling the hypnotist back?
Comment icon #43 Posted by Lava_Lady on 11 November, 2013, 0:03
The title of this article, "... Man Thinks He's a Dog..." is pretty misleading since he doesn't think he's a dog at all. He just likes to dress up as a dog and wants to live a dog like life. Yes, a bit weird but, if he actually thought he was a dog he wouldn't be able to answer questions for the article or carry on with the activities of daily living that are specifically human... lol I think he's just an eccentric man with too much time on his hands or would be paws.
Comment icon #44 Posted by Robert1 on 11 November, 2013, 0:37
I like dogs...I really like dogs. However, I've never/ever wanted to *be* a dog. IMO this fellow is more than a few kibbles short of a complete bag of dogfood. I agree. This guy really has some issues to deal with.
Comment icon #45 Posted by Calibeliever on 11 November, 2013, 19:41
Wonder what he does for a living? A roofer? What's his favorite vegetable? Collie Flower? I could go on ...
Comment icon #46 Posted by OverSword on 11 November, 2013, 19:58
Comment icon #47 Posted by The New Richard Nixon on 11 November, 2013, 20:08
I do hope this man never starts dating. i can see where that comment is going
Comment icon #48 Posted by Kelevra on 14 November, 2013, 1:51
Some people here are judging Boomer too harshly. The guy want's to be like a dog. Who's that hurting. Good for him. Depends on who's leg he's near when he goes into heat.
Comment icon #49 Posted by Lilly on 14 November, 2013, 2:14
Depends on who's leg he's near when he goes into heat. FYI, only female dogs go into heat. Male dogs then mindlessly pursue the female dog (I suspect that was what you had in mind).
Comment icon #50 Posted by Kelevra on 14 November, 2013, 2:30
I did, my new pup just went into heat for the first time this past month, so she's got me just slinging the word around everywhere/
Comment icon #51 Posted by homo.liberis on 27 November, 2013, 19:16
A likely tail!

New video reveals Huygens' harrowing descent
1-17-2017
NASA has released a new video recreating the Huygens probe's historic touchdown on Saturn's moon Titan.
French Polynesia signs 'floating city' deal
1-17-2017
The world's first ever floating city could soon begin construction off the French Polynesian coast.
Giant alligator goes for a stroll in Florida
1-17-2017
A huge alligator was filmed by tourists at the Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida this week.
'Creature' photographed in garden at night
1-16-2017
A Reddit user has uploaded an image of what appears to be a strange figure running through a garden.
Featured book

By Toryn Chapman
Campbell Mackenzie is a successful lawyer with occasional feelings of déjà vu. There's just one problem, though - it's not déjà vu.
Can anger be good for you ?
Posted 1-17-2017 | 1 comment
A new study has suggested that (some) anger can be beneficial to your health.

Marshmallows in a vacuum
Posted 1-16-2017 | 2 comments
What happens to a pile of marshmallows when all the air is removed ?

Fighting fire with fire
Posted 1-15-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage learns whether it is possible to use fire (or the sound of fire) to put out fire.

Washing machine throwing
Posted 1-14-2017 | 8 comments
Two strongmen battle it out to see who can throw a washing machine the furthest.

The amazing natural world
Posted 1-13-2017 | 0 comments
A series of quality clips from some of the BBC's most successful wildlife programmes.

Phantom vehicle
1-6-2017 | Ramer, United States

True ghost stories
1-6-2017 | Southern California

Floating tiles
1-6-2017 | Chewelah, Washington

A haunting in Northern California
12-28-2016 | Northern California

Strange creature in South Africa
12-28-2016 | South Africa, Hoedspruit.

A 15-year-old predicted my future!
12-21-2016 | Katherine, Australia

The haunted pond
12-21-2016 | Essex, Ontario, Canada

The haunted hospital
12-28-2016 | New Plymouth, New Zealand

Loud crash in the night
12-17-2016 | Pennsylvania

Mysterious woman in a blue dress
12-17-2016 | Northern Ireland