Saturday, May 28, 2016

48-year-old man believes he is a dog

Posted on Saturday, 9 November, 2013 | Comment icon 52 comments

Some would say Mathews takes his fascination with dogs a little too far. Image Credit: sxc.hu
Gary Matthews spends much of his time dressed up in a dog costume and going by the name 'boomer'.
The retired technology worker is such a fan of dogs that he goes to great lengths to look and behave like one. Wearing a collar along with his oversized dog costume made from strips of shredded paper, Mathews can often be found wandering around Pittsburgh barking at cars and digging holes.

"When I go out, I get the feeling and I wave to people as a dog," he said. "I go to local festivals because kids like the costume. That's my way of reaching out to people and spreading the word that I can be myself in life. They see that you can have fun in adulthood. But I am kind of a loner dog."

Despite enjoying regular human food most of the time, Mathews sometimes indulges with a meal of dog food scoffed from an actual dog bowl. "I don't eat dog food every day," he said. "It's a special thing for me to do once in awhile to get closer to feeling like a canine. I eat the canned kind. It's not bad -- it tastes OK. I eat regular human food, too, like pizza."

Having been featured on the National Geographic special "Extreme Anthromorphism: Boomer the Dog", Mathews has become something of a celebrity in his niche. The name "Boomer" originated with a TV shows called "Here's Boomer" that ran from 1979 to 1982 and his obsession with all things dog-like began when he saw Disney's "101 Dalmatians" and "The Shaggy Dog" when he was a child.

Source: Yahoo! News | Comments (52)

Tags: Dog

Comment icon #43 Posted by Lava_Lady on 11 November, 2013, 0:03
The title of this article, "... Man Thinks He's a Dog..." is pretty misleading since he doesn't think he's a dog at all. He just likes to dress up as a dog and wants to live a dog like life. Yes, a bit weird but, if he actually thought he was a dog he wouldn't be able to answer questions for the article or carry on with the activities of daily living that are specifically human... lol I think he's just an eccentric man with too much time on his hands or would be paws.
Comment icon #44 Posted by Robert1 on 11 November, 2013, 0:37
I agree. This guy really has some issues to deal with.
Comment icon #45 Posted by Calibeliever on 11 November, 2013, 19:41
Wonder what he does for a living? A roofer? What's his favorite vegetable? Collie Flower? I could go on ...
Comment icon #46 Posted by OverSword on 11 November, 2013, 19:58
Some people here are judging Boomer too harshly. The guy want's to be like a dog. Who's that hurting. Good for him.
Comment icon #47 Posted by The New Richard Nixon on 11 November, 2013, 20:08
i can see where that comment is going
Comment icon #48 Posted by Kelevra on 14 November, 2013, 1:51
Depends on who's leg he's near when he goes into heat.
Comment icon #49 Posted by Lilly on 14 November, 2013, 2:14
FYI, only female dogs go into heat. Male dogs then mindlessly pursue the female dog (I suspect that was what you had in mind).
Comment icon #50 Posted by Kelevra on 14 November, 2013, 2:30
I did, my new pup just went into heat for the first time this past month, so she's got me just slinging the word around everywhere/
Comment icon #51 Posted by homo.liberis on 27 November, 2013, 19:16
A likely tail!

Government study finds cellphone-cancer link
5-27-2016
The findings suggest that exposure to cellphone radiation may cause brain and heart cancers in rats.
Giant squid may grow larger than a school bus
5-27-2016
A new study has suggested that giant squid may actually grow to be much larger than previously believed.
Aristotle's lost tomb has finally been found
5-26-2016
The long-sought final resting place of the Greek philosopher has been unearthed at a site in Macedonia.
New optical clock is most accurate ever built
5-26-2016
Scientists have come up with a clock so accurate that it could even redefine the length of a second.
Seeking new antibiotics under the sea
Posted 5-27-2016 | 2 comments
Scientists are seeking new treatments for antibiotic-resistant infections beneath the waves.

World's first mile-long pizza
Posted 5-26-2016 | 1 comment
Italian chefs have produced a single gigantic pizza that stretches for an entire mile.

What happened before the Big Bang ?
Posted 5-22-2016 | 4 comments
Is it possible to find out what took place before our universe came in to existence ?

Prehistoric creatures that still exist
Posted 5-21-2016 | 1 comment
A look at some remarkable animal species that have survived for millions of years.

Why do we have 10 fingers and 10 toes ?
Posted 5-20-2016 | 2 comments
What is the reason that we happen to have exactly 10 fingers and toes ? Why that number ?

Not in our jurisdiction

Christmas Day haunting
4-6-2016 | London, UK

The funeral director
3-30-2016 | Hebburn, England

A strange sighting in Spain
3-30-2016 | Albatera, Spain

Dust patterns on basement floor
3-27-2016 | Smithville, Texas