Sunday, May 28, 2017

Coma patient wakes up with 'psychic powers'

Posted on Monday, 17 March, 2014 | Comment icon 42 comments

Rob Ball believes he can read minds. Image Credit: sxc.hu
An injured man who spent two weeks in a coma believes that the experience has made him psychic.
Four years ago Rob Ball had a brush with death when he was punched in the side of the head outside a nightclub in Southend. Despite spending two weeks in a coma, losing his memory and having to relearn how to walk, Ball went on to survive the ordeal and was eventually able to leave the hospital and go home.

Not long afterwards however he started to realize that something was different. He began to hear voices in his head that he claimed told him specific information about other people that he couldn't have possibly known otherwise.

"Soon they were so clear that I was telling people what popped in my head about them often strangers in the street," he said. "I was getting messages predicting illness, love and death. People are shocked when I can tell them personal details."

Despite the remarkable nature of his claims, medical experts remain doubtful. While there have been cases of people waking up with new talents or speaking in a foreign accent after suffering head trauma, the idea that such an injury could make someone psychic is a claim that warrants a fair degree of both caution and skepticism.

Source: IB Times | Comments (42)

Tags: Psychic

Comment icon #33 Posted by regeneratia on 24 March, 2014, 23:19
I followed the link from UM, then I searched on-line using his name the area the attacked happened and found the articles that mentioned the damage also claimed it was the left side of his head before posting. All the articles 'officially' posted on UM have links to the source material. Well done. Thanks for taking the time. When I meditate and see images behind my eyelids, it is always in the left eye.
Comment icon #34 Posted by bLu3 de 3n3rgy on 24 March, 2014, 23:22
Left side is also the receiving side in many energy work practices.
Comment icon #35 Posted by Junior Chubb on 24 March, 2014, 23:37
Well done. Thanks for taking the time. When I meditate and see images behind my eyelids, it is always in the left eye. Doesn't the left side of the brain control the right side of the body and vice versa? If so anything related to your left eye would be dependant on the right side of your brain. Using this and 'your beliefs' wouldn't a right sided brain injury be more likely to bring about 'psychic powers'? Having said that when it comes to 'imagination' (which I would guess is the brains closest function to claimed 'psychic powers') many different areas of the brain are used and physical move... [More]
Comment icon #36 Posted by kitco on 26 March, 2014, 23:08
Comment icon #37 Posted by g00dfella on 26 March, 2014, 23:38
I have dreams about things that happen in the future. Sometimes when I get high on random drugs I seem to know what other peolpe are thinking and such phycic powers. OK, Cheech...
Comment icon #38 Posted by Junior Chubb on 27 March, 2014, 9:59
Sometimes when I get high on random drugs I seem to know what other peolpe are thinking and such phycic powers. I used to think similar things when I got high as a youth. Now I realise it was a heightened sense of perception whilst over reading situations and body language combined with paranoia... All this was coupled with the euphoric feeling of "Aren't I amazing"...
Comment icon #39 Posted by Anton25 on 27 March, 2014, 10:38
Yea I woke up a psychic.. With a real jamaican accent
Comment icon #40 Posted by Junior Chubb on 27 March, 2014, 10:52
Yea I woke up a psychic.. With a real jamaican accent You should have let him sleep
Comment icon #41 Posted by TabithaGrey on 7 June, 2014, 2:01
Doesn't the left side of the brain control the right side of the body and vice versa? If so anything related to your left eye would be dependant on the right side of your brain. Using this and 'your beliefs' wouldn't a right sided brain injury be more likely to bring about 'psychic powers'? Having said that when it comes to 'imagination' (which I would guess is the brains closest function to claimed 'psychic powers') many different areas of the brain are used and physical movement is redundant meaning anything I said above could be irrelevant as left and right are not distinguished. Don't you ... [More]
Comment icon #42 Posted by Junior Chubb on 9 June, 2014, 10:50
Yes, the right hemisphere is accepted as in control the left side of the body (including the left visual field), and is considered lateralised to making sense of information via symbols, feelings, imagery, imagination, philosophy, religion and creative thinking. Though functions tend to be localised to specific areas. My thought is, if there is significant brain damage to the right hemisphere it may not be able to perform these functions. However, I recall a physiological study on brain elasticity by Maguire et al (2000?) on London taxi drivers. She'd found that the posterior hippocampi (respo... [More]

NASA to launch probe that will 'touch the Sun'
5-28-2017
Known as Solar Probe Plus, the mission will be officially revealed in an announcement on Wednesday.
Mystery bang rocks Tauranga, New Zealand
5-28-2017
An extremely loud bang managed to wake up half the city when it shook houses at 3am on Sunday morning.
'Magic tree door' illusion baffles the Internet
5-27-2017
Stop-motion animator Kevin Parry has created a short video clip that seems to defy the laws of physics.
Work begins on world's largest telescope
5-27-2017
When it is completed, the Extremely Large Telescope (ELT) will offer unprecedented views of the cosmos.
Thieving octopus
Posted 5-28-2017 | 0 comments
The Giant Pacific Octopus lies in wait so that it can steal crabs from local fishermen.

What color were dinosaurs ?
Posted 5-27-2017 | 6 comments
We can learn much about dinosaurs from fossils, but their color has long remained a mystery.

Ring around the Earth
Posted 5-26-2017 | 0 comments
What would happen if a solid, free-floating ring was placed in orbit around the Earth ?

World's heaviest weight
Posted 5-25-2017 | 0 comments
This incredible machine is capable of delivering a whopping 1,000,000 pounds of force.

Nine doughnuts in three minutes
Posted 5-24-2017 | 5 comments
'L.A. Beast' returns to break another record, this time by eating a huge pile of doughnuts.

Trade school terror
5-26-2017 | Cedro woolley, Wa.

Someone is on my bed