Monday, June 27, 2016

Lack of sleep can cause brain damage

Posted on Sunday, 23 March, 2014 | Comment icon 18 comments

Can interrupted sleep patterns cause irreversible damage ? Image Credit: sxc.hu
Failing to get enough sleep could not only make you tired, it could permanently damage your brain cells.
Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania conducted a series of experiments by keeping mice awake for periods of time intended to mimic the interrupted sleep patterns of people whose work shifts forced them to sleep during the day and stay awake at night.

The results revealed that the mice seemed to lose up to 25 percent of their brain neurons on a permanent basis. Previous studies had also confirmed this brain cell loss but up until now scientists had believed that the damage was only temporary.

"In general, we've always assumed full recovery of cognition following short and long-term sleep loss," said lead author Prof Sigrid Veasey. "But some of the research in humans has shown that attention span and several other aspects of cognition may not normalize even with three days of recovery sleep, raising the question of lasting injury in the brain."

Source: Tech Times | Comments (18)

Tags: Sleep, Brain

Comment icon #9 Posted by dr no on 24 March, 2014, 16:13
As a long term insomniac I guess I'm screwed. I figured most of my cognitive impairment was just coming with old age. Yeah I'm a long term insomniac too,I also start work at 4am each day.I guess I'm going to be a vegetable in a few years time
Comment icon #10 Posted by paperdyer on 24 March, 2014, 16:45
I guess we can't take it the other way. IF so, my wife would be the smartest person on the planet. I swear she sleeps more than she's awake. Five minutes after she gets home she's asleep.( A slight exaggeration, but you get the point.)
Comment icon #11 Posted by paperdyer on 24 March, 2014, 16:45
My wife even has fallen asleep standing up. It runs in her family. My mother-in-law can do the same thing.
Comment icon #12 Posted by eaglesareskykittens on 24 March, 2014, 17:21
So college is making us stupid.
Comment icon #13 Posted by moonshadow60 on 24 March, 2014, 21:01
As a long term insomniac I guess I'm screwed. I figured most of my cognitive impairment was just coming with old age. Crikey. I haven't gotten a decent night's sleep since I was a teenager. I'm lucky to have more than 2 brain cells left at my age.
Comment icon #14 Posted by spud the mackem on 24 March, 2014, 23:26
How long have the people who created this, studied a number of people in a sleepless environment, or have they just used it as a thesis to get through an exam.AAAaaarrrgh,gotta go my brain just fell out of my ear.
Comment icon #15 Posted by regeneratia on 25 March, 2014, 0:32
Sleep loss may be more serious than previously thought, causing a permanent loss of brain cells, research suggests. In mice, prolonged lack of sleep led to 25% of certain brain cells dying, according to a study in The Journal of Neuroscience. If the same is true in humans, it may be futile to try to catch up on missed sleep, say US scientists. http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-26630647 Do you have any idea just how the electrosmog influences our quality of sleep? Is this electrosmog deliberately designed to create brain cell loss in us? I am telling you, last night, I slept for 10 hours straight, ... [More]
Comment icon #16 Posted by FizzPuff on 25 March, 2014, 22:35
So can too much sleep. I'm loosing ether way D:
Comment icon #17 Posted by MetalShinobi on 26 March, 2014, 1:38
Now they should do another study to see if any of the cognitive damage could be repaired by administering doses of cannabis. I have read studies that suggest certain compounds in cannabis can aid in braincell growth. Seems like a perfect opportunity for further research.
Comment icon #18 Posted by maximusnow on 27 March, 2014, 13:36
I never get enough normal, and i am sleep!

Weird machine enables a dog to pet its owner
6-26-2016
A bizarre contraption called the 'Affectionator' gives a dog the chance to pat its owner on the head.
Arctic turning bright pink color due to algae
6-26-2016
The pristine white of the Arctic landscape seems to have been turning a rather unusual shade of pink.
Batman would be 'ill-equipped' say scientists
6-25-2016
Researchers at the University of Leicester have determined that Batman would be rubbish in real life.
Scottish UFO plaque replaced after 24 years
6-25-2016
The plaque is located at the site where Bob Taylor famously encountered a strange object back in 1979.
Real-life dire wolves
Posted 6-26-2016 | 3 comments
The huge wolves in Game of Thrones actually existed 300,000 years ago.

Teaching a gorilla to talk
Posted 6-25-2016 | 8 comments
A western lowland gorilla named Koko was taught from an early age to use sign language.

Man puts 496 straws in his mouth
Posted 6-24-2016 | 3 comments
Guinness Rishi manages to cram 496 drinking straws in to his mouth at the same time.

Space is trying to kill us
Posted 6-23-2016 | 1 comment
How do astronauts survive in space and what happens after they return to Earth ?

Jupiter: Into the unknown
Posted 6-22-2016 | 1 comment
A dramatic look at Jupiter ahead of the arrival of the Juno spacecraft next month.

Not in our jurisdiction

Christmas Day haunting
4-6-2016 | London, UK

The funeral director
3-30-2016 | Hebburn, England

A strange sighting in Spain
3-30-2016 | Albatera, Spain

Dust patterns on basement floor
3-27-2016 | Smithville, Texas