Saturday, May 28, 2016

Lack of sleep can cause brain damage

Posted on Sunday, 23 March, 2014 | Comment icon 19 comments

Can interrupted sleep patterns cause irreversible damage ? Image Credit: sxc.hu
Failing to get enough sleep could not only make you tired, it could permanently damage your brain cells.
Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania conducted a series of experiments by keeping mice awake for periods of time intended to mimic the interrupted sleep patterns of people whose work shifts forced them to sleep during the day and stay awake at night.

The results revealed that the mice seemed to lose up to 25 percent of their brain neurons on a permanent basis. Previous studies had also confirmed this brain cell loss but up until now scientists had believed that the damage was only temporary.

"In general, we've always assumed full recovery of cognition following short and long-term sleep loss," said lead author Prof Sigrid Veasey. "But some of the research in humans has shown that attention span and several other aspects of cognition may not normalize even with three days of recovery sleep, raising the question of lasting injury in the brain."

Source: Tech Times | Comments (19)

Tags: Sleep, Brain

Comment icon #10 Posted by paperdyer on 24 March, 2014, 16:45
I guess we can't take it the other way. IF so, my wife would be the smartest person on the planet. I swear she sleeps more than she's awake. Five minutes after she gets home she's asleep.( A slight exaggeration, but you get the point.)
Comment icon #11 Posted by paperdyer on 24 March, 2014, 16:45
My wife even has fallen asleep standing up. It runs in her family. My mother-in-law can do the same thing.
Comment icon #12 Posted by eaglesareskykittens on 24 March, 2014, 17:21
So college is making us stupid.
Comment icon #13 Posted by moonshadow60 on 24 March, 2014, 21:01
Crikey. I haven't gotten a decent night's sleep since I was a teenager. I'm lucky to have more than 2 brain cells left at my age.
Comment icon #14 Posted by spud the mackem on 24 March, 2014, 23:26
How long have the people who created this, studied a number of people in a sleepless environment, or have they just used it as a thesis to get through an exam.AAAaaarrrgh,gotta go my brain just fell out of my ear.
Comment icon #15 Posted by regeneratia on 25 March, 2014, 0:32
Do you have any idea just how the electrosmog influences our quality of sleep? Is this electrosmog deliberately designed to create brain cell loss in us? I am telling you, last night, I slept for 10 hours straight, feeling like I finally had the deepest sleep for 15 years, ... having first altered some things regarding electrosmog in this house. It seems to be working. Loss of my brain cells is indeed my worst nightmare. (sips my oolong) I am kind of attached to them. In Science, there was an article about mice whose cranial interstitial space was being measured. When they slept, the interst... [More]
Comment icon #16 Posted by FizzPuff on 25 March, 2014, 22:35
So can too much sleep. I'm loosing ether way D:
Comment icon #17 Posted by MetalShinobi on 26 March, 2014, 1:38
Now they should do another study to see if any of the cognitive damage could be repaired by administering doses of cannabis. I have read studies that suggest certain compounds in cannabis can aid in braincell growth. Seems like a perfect opportunity for further research.
Comment icon #18 Posted by maximusnow on 27 March, 2014, 13:36
I never get enough normal, and i am sleep!

NASA reveals new close-up images of Pluto
5-28-2016
The fascinating pictures are the most detailed views of Pluto we are going to get for a very long time.
Flintstones car issued with a parking ticket
5-28-2016
A real-life version of Fred Flintstone's vehicle was slapped with a parking ticket in Key West this week.
Dr Heimlich performs the Heimlich manoeuver
5-28-2016
The man who invented the anti-choking technique has for the first time used it himself to save someone.
Government study finds cellphone-cancer link
5-27-2016
The findings suggest that exposure to cellphone radiation may cause brain and heart cancers in rats.
Simulating Mars atop a volcano
Posted 5-28-2016 | 1 comment
Six scientists have been living an isolated existence to simulate a mission to Mars.

Seeking new antibiotics under the sea
Posted 5-27-2016 | 2 comments
Scientists are seeking new treatments for antibiotic-resistant infections beneath the waves.

World's first mile-long pizza
Posted 5-26-2016 | 1 comment
Italian chefs have produced a single gigantic pizza that stretches for an entire mile.

What happened before the Big Bang ?
Posted 5-22-2016 | 4 comments
Is it possible to find out what took place before our universe came in to existence ?

Prehistoric creatures that still exist
Posted 5-21-2016 | 1 comment
A look at some remarkable animal species that have survived for millions of years.

Not in our jurisdiction

Christmas Day haunting
4-6-2016 | London, UK

The funeral director
3-30-2016 | Hebburn, England

A strange sighting in Spain
3-30-2016 | Albatera, Spain

Dust patterns on basement floor
3-27-2016 | Smithville, Texas