Monday, May 2, 2016   |   6,009 users online
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos  ·  Chat

Lack of sleep can cause brain damage

Posted on Sunday, 23 March, 2014 | Comment icon 18 comments

Can interrupted sleep patterns cause irreversible damage ? Image Credit: sxc.hu
Failing to get enough sleep could not only make you tired, it could permanently damage your brain cells.
Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania conducted a series of experiments by keeping mice awake for periods of time intended to mimic the interrupted sleep patterns of people whose work shifts forced them to sleep during the day and stay awake at night.

The results revealed that the mice seemed to lose up to 25 percent of their brain neurons on a permanent basis. Previous studies had also confirmed this brain cell loss but up until now scientists had believed that the damage was only temporary.

"In general, we've always assumed full recovery of cognition following short and long-term sleep loss," said lead author Prof Sigrid Veasey. "But some of the research in humans has shown that attention span and several other aspects of cognition may not normalize even with three days of recovery sleep, raising the question of lasting injury in the brain."

Source: Tech Times | Comments (18)

Tags: Sleep, Brain

Comment icon #9 Posted by dr no on 24 March, 2014, 16:13
Yeah I'm a long term insomniac too,I also start work at 4am each day.I guess I'm going to be a vegetable in a few years time
Comment icon #10 Posted by paperdyer on 24 March, 2014, 16:45
I guess we can't take it the other way. IF so, my wife would be the smartest person on the planet. I swear she sleeps more than she's awake. Five minutes after she gets home she's asleep.( A slight exaggeration, but you get the point.)
Comment icon #11 Posted by paperdyer on 24 March, 2014, 16:45
My wife even has fallen asleep standing up. It runs in her family. My mother-in-law can do the same thing.
Comment icon #12 Posted by eaglesareskykittens on 24 March, 2014, 17:21
So college is making us stupid.
Comment icon #13 Posted by moonshadow60 on 24 March, 2014, 21:01
Crikey. I haven't gotten a decent night's sleep since I was a teenager. I'm lucky to have more than 2 brain cells left at my age.
Comment icon #14 Posted by spud the mackem on 24 March, 2014, 23:26
How long have the people who created this, studied a number of people in a sleepless environment, or have they just used it as a thesis to get through an exam.AAAaaarrrgh,gotta go my brain just fell out of my ear.
Comment icon #15 Posted by regeneratia on 25 March, 2014, 0:32
Do you have any idea just how the electrosmog influences our quality of sleep? Is this electrosmog deliberately designed to create brain cell loss in us? I am telling you, last night, I slept for 10 hours straight, feeling like I finally had the deepest sleep for 15 years, ... having first altered some things regarding electrosmog in this house. It seems to be working. Loss of my brain cells is indeed my worst nightmare. (sips my oolong) I am kind of attached to them. In Science, there was an article about mice whose cranial interstitial space was being measured. When they slept, the inte... [More]
Comment icon #16 Posted by FizzPuff on 25 March, 2014, 22:35
So can too much sleep. I'm loosing ether way D:
Comment icon #17 Posted by MetalShinobi on 26 March, 2014, 1:38
Now they should do another study to see if any of the cognitive damage could be repaired by administering doses of cannabis. I have read studies that suggest certain compounds in cannabis can aid in braincell growth. Seems like a perfect opportunity for further research.
Comment icon #18 Posted by maximusnow on 27 March, 2014, 13:36
I never get enough normal, and i am sleep!

Users online:
5,641,518
257,392
129,101
6,009

Google patents injectable eyeball computer
5-1-2016
The search giant appears to be working on a device that can be injected directly in to your eyeballs.
British inventor unveils working hoverbike
5-1-2016
Madcap YouTube boffin Colin Furze has come up with his own homemade drone bicycle that actually flies.
What happened to New Zealand's terraces ?
5-1-2016
Were the Pink and White terraces of Lake Rotomahana really destroyed when Mount Tarawera erupted ?
NASA reveals telescope's giant golden mirror
4-30-2016
The impressive gold-coated mirror of the James Webb Space Telescope has been revealed in all its glory.
Collecting black mamba venom
Posted 5-1-2016 | 1 comment
Even a single bite from a black mamba delivers enough venom to kill up to twenty people.

A very satisfying video
Posted 4-30-2016 | 1 comment
A compilation of strange, yet extraordinarily satisfying videos of things being made.

Extreme backbending
Posted 4-29-2016 | 1 comment
Contortionist Julia Gunthel sets an eye-watering new record for bending her back.

Are dire wolves real animals ?
Posted 4-28-2016 | 3 comments
The huge wolves in Game of Thrones are not as far-fetched as they may seem.

How are candy canes made ?
Posted 4-27-2016 | 1 comment
A look at the manufacturing processes involved in the creation of candy canes.

Paralyzed
4-15-2016 | United States

The mysterious awakening
4-6-2016 | Los Angeles, California

Chocolate fairy? Really?
4-6-2016 | United Kingdom

Christmas Day haunting
4-6-2016 | London, UK

The funeral director
3-30-2016 | Hebburn, England

A strange sighting in Spain
3-30-2016 | Albatera, Spain

Dust patterns on basement floor
3-27-2016 | Smithville, Texas

The old man and the red-eyed girl
3-14-2016 | Tennessee