Tuesday, July 27, 2021

'Pig perfume' helps stop dogs misbehaving

Posted on Tuesday, 26 August, 2014 | Comment icon 20 comments

Will pig perfume be the next big dog accessory ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Robert Simmons
A new type of fragrance based on the smell of male pigs has a remarkable calming effect on dogs.
For dog owners whose canine companions are proving to be too difficult to handle there is now a new hope in the form of a special perfume that can keep even the most unruly of dogs in check.

Made from a pheromone produced in the fat and saliva of male pigs, the unusual fragrance was formulated by scientist John McGlone while he was trying to find a way to stop his Cairn terrier Toto from barking incessantly.
According to MgGlone just one application of the perfume was enough to keep his dog quiet.

"It was completely serendipitous," he said. "One of the most difficult problems is that dogs bark a lot, and it’s one of the top reasons they are given back to shelters or pounds."

The key component of the fragrance is androstenone, a pheremone that makes a male pig more attractive to females. While it doesn't seem to have this effect in dogs it does have the remarkable ability to keep them under control without causing them any harm.

Source: Discovery | Comments (20)

Tags: Dog, Pig

Comment icon #11 Posted by freetoroam on 26 August, 2014, 16:25
Shame they can not find something to spray on the owners who can not be bothered to train their dogs properly. I suppose used only when absolutely necessary, in ref to Michelle`s point, it could be good, but hope this will not be the new way to keep the dogs under control all the time by some owners as opposed to taking them out for a walk and giving them proper training.
Comment icon #12 Posted by OverSword on 26 August, 2014, 16:57
I have a friend with an un-neutered dog that is overly willful, barks too much, and if he likes you want's to hump you. It's a 95 lb pit bull and is a very intimidating dog. He's less of a dog and more like a force of nature. He could really use this but my friend babies him so much I just know he's going to get offended when I send him this article.
Comment icon #13 Posted by pallidin on 26 August, 2014, 17:29
When they develop a pheromone-based cologne that makes girls irresistable to me, I will be impressed, and first in line...
Comment icon #14 Posted by odiesbsc on 26 August, 2014, 19:54
I wonder what would happen if you sprayed this stuff on a Muslim.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Duchess Gummybuns on 26 August, 2014, 23:09
So, this stuff stops your dog from being a HAM? I-I...I tried.
Comment icon #16 Posted by coolguy on 27 August, 2014, 3:28
My dog just sits on the stoop and barks at the wind lol
Comment icon #17 Posted by shrooma on 27 August, 2014, 8:06
aah, bacon. is there NOTHING it can't cure..... . (jews & muslims take note. one bacon sarnie would end the gaza problem.....) ;-)
Comment icon #18 Posted by Lilly on 28 August, 2014, 11:57
Comment icon #19 Posted by Eldorado on 28 August, 2014, 12:02
Will this work on my girlfriend? Your gf jumps frantically on house guests? When can I visit?
Comment icon #20 Posted by Lilly on 28 August, 2014, 12:22
Your gf jumps frantically on house guests? When can I visit? LOL!

84-year-old German had WW2 tank in his cellar
7-27-2021
Lawyers are currently negotiating penalties for a German man who was storing 'weapons of war' in his cellar.
37-year-old wakes up believing that he's 16
7-27-2021
Daniel Porter got the fright of his life when he woke up one day having forgotten 21 years of his life.
Brainless blob can think and make decisions
7-26-2021
Scientists have observed a type of slime mold that is surprisingly brainy given its total lack of a brain.
Harvard-led team to search for alien space tech
7-26-2021
A team of scientists has launched a new project with the aim of hunting down alien technosignatures.
Mystery 'troll' captured on camera
4-24-2021 | Marsta, Sweden

My Grandfather's NDE
4-24-2021 | Oakland, California

The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball