Friday, November 22, 2019

New mountain range revealed on Pluto

Posted on Wednesday, 22 July, 2015 | Comment icon 96 comments

The mountains lie in an area between two vastly different regions. Image Credit: NASA
New images from the New Horizons probe have revealed another vast region of mountains on Pluto's surface.
It has only been a few days since the first high resolution photographs of Pluto were returned by the spacecraft and already much has been revealed about what lies on this distant, icy world.

Earlier images of mountains comparable in height to the Rockies here on Earth have been joined by further pictures showing a separate chain of peaks similar in size to the Appalachian Mountains.

These remarkable geological features span the edge of Pluto's distinctive 'heart' which has since turned out to be broken up in to several different regions with varying textures and reflectivity.

Scientists are still working to determine the processes responsible for the stark transition between the dark crater-marked region on one side and the smooth frozen plains on the other.

"There is a pronounced difference in texture between the younger, frozen plains to the east and the dark, heavily-cratered terrain to the west," said New Horizons geophysicist Jeff Moore.

"There’s a complex interaction going on between the bright and the dark materials that we’re still trying to understand."

Source: Washington Post | Comments (96)

Tags: Pluto, New Horizons

Comment icon #87 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 6 August, 2015, 9:31
It will take more than a year just to download all the images and data from New Horizons, so it is unrealistic to expect answers in days.
Comment icon #88 Posted by Astra- on 6 August, 2015, 9:40
Oh - ok - thanks. Patience is a virtue I suppose.
Comment icon #89 Posted by Merc14 on 6 August, 2015, 12:11
I have been wondering if scientists have figured out yet - what those dark patches/spots were along Pluto's equator ? New Horizons closest flyby was back on 14th July - I have tried to find some info - but my PC is very slow atm - it's like pulling teeth. Does anybody know anything ? Cheers.. Run Malwarebytes free version and get rid of some of the likely malware https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/
Comment icon #90 Posted by Astra- on 6 August, 2015, 22:57
Comment icon #91 Posted by Merc14 on 7 August, 2015, 2:05
Thanks heaps Merc. I ran the malware - but no nasties were detected. Seems the signal on the Wi-Fi connection was weak which were slowing things down. So I rebooted the router - and the PC - and I have a stronger signal now You did exactly what I would've suggested except for one thing, pull the power plugs on both the router and the modem and turn off the computer. Then return power to the modem, let it settle in, then power up the router, let it settle in and then turn the computer back on. PM me if you that doesn't help
Comment icon #92 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 7 August, 2015, 6:46
Comment icon #93 Posted by Merc14 on 7 August, 2015, 12:17
Can we please get back on topic.This really is not the place to be discussing computer problems (unless the computer happens to be on a space craft ). Thank you. My fault.
Comment icon #94 Posted by FTWind on 8 August, 2015, 17:48
Comment icon #95 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 8 August, 2015, 18:16
Waspie what would u say on the chances of multi celled organisms livng in these theorized subsurface oceans on these outer objects If the greatest biologists and planetary scientists on Earth don't have the vaguest idea what the answer to that is (and they really don't) then why should an ex-chemist like myself? Anyone that gives you an answer to this is taking a wild guess. Science doesn't deal in wild guesses.
Comment icon #96 Posted by FTWind on 8 August, 2015, 23:55
In all fai rness Waspie I've been readin everyone's comments on every topic for years in this website and of all I repect yours the most

Are ghosts a sign that we live in a simulation ?
11-21-2019
Two scientists have put forward the intriguing yet disturbing notion that we may all be living in the Matrix.
3D images of 'Noah's Ark' set to be revealed
11-21-2019
A Turkish ark-hunter has captured new subterranean images of what he believes to be the real Noah's Ark.
Outbreak of the Black Death reported in China
11-21-2019
A resurgence of the bubonic plague in China has been raising eyebrows this week, but just how dangerous is it?
Flat Earth conspiracy is continuing to spread
11-20-2019
Despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, more and more people now believe that the Earth is flat.
The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia