Thursday, July 19, 2018

Some women have superhuman 'rainbow vision'

Posted on Monday, 21 March, 2016 | Comment icon 29 comments

Concetta Antico is an authenticated tetrachromat artist. Image Credit: Concetta Antico
A common genetic mutation has given many women the ability to see more colors than the rest of us.
Artist Concetta Antico, a woman whose remarkable ability to see additional colors has earned her the nickname 'the woman with rainbow vision', is one example of a tetrachromat - a person whose eyes have four color receptors instead of the usual three.

Now scientists investigating the phenomenon have revealed that the genetic mutation which gives rise to these abilities might actually be a lot more common than is generally believed and that most women who do possess 'rainbow vision' simply lack the training to take advantage of it.

Most of them probably aren't even aware that they have superhuman color vision at all.

To determine this, the researchers, who were led by Kimberly Jameson from UC Irvine, compared Antico's color perception with that of another tetrachromat and a person with normal vision.

The results indicated that Antico was far more sensitive to colors than the other two - including the other tetrachromat - and that this was likely due to her training as an artist.

By training other tetrachromats in the same way, the researchers concluded, it may be possible to help others with this unique genetic trait to realize the full potential of their enhanced vision as well.

Source: Discovery News | Comments (29)

Tags: Rainbow, Color, Eyes

Comment icon #20 Posted by mfluder on 26 March, 2016, 20:03
Ah ha! So THAT'S why when I think I match, the wife just shakes her head at me!
Comment icon #21 Posted by quiXilver on 26 March, 2016, 21:17
Seriously awesome and totally unsurprising.
Comment icon #22 Posted by Gingitsune on 29 March, 2016, 18:13
I had a chat with my identical twin sister, she said she remember arguing with our father over the color of the sky, in the tones of blue, turquoise and aqua, there may be something to it. Also, I gave a look at my real life Madagascar Dracaena versus google image, colors are always off. Some are closer than others, but there is always a hint of yellow missing. I need to do test with my father, as we share the same trichromate X. I'll see my cousins over the weekend for a sugar shack party, I'll investigate more.
Comment icon #23 Posted by regeneratia on 2 April, 2016, 3:53
I have this, to a minor degree. Optomatrist says that I have more rods and cones than most people. Sure is handy in the dark. This seem to have a fluorescent glow, some things more than others.
Comment icon #24 Posted by Nnicolette on 5 April, 2016, 13:50
How about this one can anybody not see the number?
Comment icon #25 Posted by Gingitsune on 8 April, 2016, 1:52
Even if we see the number (which is 105.7), it just mean we are not color blind and we have decent computer screens. The programming of electronic colors is based on three colors. Electronic screens are based on three colors. Printers use three colors. There's nothing we can do unless we work with colors in real world vs photos. I have been asking a few of my color blind gene carrying female cousins, nothing conclusive. I remember a discrepancy between a piece of clothing my sister and I were wearing (which were one blue and one green), who looked almost the same color on photos but were disti... [More]
Comment icon #26 Posted by Artaxerxes on 21 April, 2016, 5:50
Many near death experiencers say that they saw "more colors than normal" or "more than we have here" while on the other side. They were seeing the entire light spectrum rather than just a small part of it. They also said it was "more real than normal" or "realer than real."
Comment icon #27 Posted by Gingitsune on 24 May, 2016, 15:29
So, I got tired of trying to figure out whether I was tetrachromate by looking my real life garden plants vs their online photos. I took my family Tree DNAX chromosome file and pass it into promethease automated genetic medical condition report. Results? rs2315122 A;A, where A;G would hint tetrachromatie and G;G colorblindness rs2315123T;T, where T;C would hint tetrachromatie and C;C colorblindness I'm thereforetrichromate, like most of us. Case closed. Although my mother, my aunt, at least five of my cousins, my sister-in-law and at least two of my nieces should be. And I'm wondering what ... [More]
Comment icon #28 Posted by Hammerclaw on 24 May, 2016, 18:53
She'd definitely be a girl with kaleidoscope eyes.
Comment icon #29 Posted by pallidin on 26 May, 2016, 17:11
I wonder if this rare trait has "something" to do with certain peoples claims of seeing "aura's"

Prehistoric baby snake found trapped in amber
7-19-2018
Scientists have discovered the well-preserved remains of a jeuvenile snake dating back 99 million years.
Telescope receives upgrade, exceeds Hubble
7-18-2018
Adaptive optics technology has now made it possible for ground telescopes to take extremely sharp images.
Your earliest memory may be fake, study claims
7-18-2018
Scientists maintain that our earliest memories could not have happened the way we remember them.
New geological era named the Meghalayan Age
7-18-2018
Scientists have announced that the last 4,200 years of Earth's history have been given an official name.
Why do bandaids glow ?
Posted 7-19-2018 | 0 comments
Dianna Cowern investigates why some bandaids produce a blue glow when they are opened.

Spinning a record to pieces
Posted 7-15-2018 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt another intriguing slow motion experiment with old vinyl records.

Pearlfish's gross hiding spot
Posted 7-8-2018 | 1 comment
A pearlfish finds a particularly unappealing place to hide on the ocean floor.

What jobs will flourish in the future ?
Posted 7-5-2018 | 2 comments
Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku predicts which jobs will be important in the future.

Skunked
Posted 7-1-2018 | 0 comments
Coyote Peterson meets a rather adorable skunk - but can he avoid getting sprayed ?

Huge black triangle UFO
6-13-2018 | Mt Maunganui New Zealand

Ghastly intuition
6-13-2018 | Bay Area CA

A haunted... desk?
6-13-2018 | Peoria, Illinois

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA