Wednesday, June 29, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Science & Technology > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Science & Technology

Patent for second-generation EmDrive revealed

October 19, 2016 | Comment icon 27 comments

Could EmDrive revolutionize space travel ? Image Credit: NASA / Mark Rademaker
EmDrive inventor Roger Shawyer has received a new patent for the next version of his 'impossible' engine.
The electromagnetic propulsion engine, which some scientists believe could herald a new era of spaceflight by replacing conventional chemical rocket engines, has been a hot topic recently.

EmDrive allegedly works by converting electrical power in to thrust without the need for propellant through a process that scientists argue is in direct violation of the laws of physics.

Now British inventor Roger Shawyer, who originally came up with the EmDrive, has received a patent from the UK's Intellectual Property Office for a new and improved version of the device.
This second-generation version of the peculiar drive makes it a lot cheaper and easier to produce which should in turn make it easier for researchers to build and test their own units.

"This is pretty significant because it enables you to easily manufacture these things, and we want to produce thousands of them," said Shawyer. "The patent makes the construction of a viable superconducting thruster easier, and it will produce a lot of thrust."

The big test for the EmDrive will come in 2018 when Cannae CEO Guido Feta and German engineer Paul Kocyla launch two cubesats with EmDrive thrusters in to space.

If these experiments prove a success it could potentially revolutionize the space industry.

Source: Inquisitr.com | Comments (27)

Comment icon #18 Posted by ChrLzs 6 years ago
Just a word or three of caution.  Patent does not mean "we've tested it and it works".  Many, many patented things never get built because they simply do not work. While I was initially enthusiastic about the EM drive, I'm getting a bit tired of hearing about 'Eagleworks' (a very tiny (and extremely underfunded) division of NASA) promises that their results are/ will be fully peer reviewed and replicated.  They have made serious errors in their approach before, and rightly, those who might peer review and thence replicate their new claims/results are rather thin on the ground.  To date only on... [More]
Comment icon #19 Posted by ChrLzs 6 years ago
Oh, and just to make this interesting and put my money where my mouth is...  I'll even have a stab at what I think the error will centre around - it will be some kind of 'resonance/feedback' issue, and I'll donate $50 to our local Mater Hospital charity if I'm wrong...
Comment icon #20 Posted by psyche101 6 years ago
Just to fulfil your prophecy .......   I heard that there was a claim made that Lasers were fired into the Em Chamber, and they managed to attain 300,000 km's - Faster than Light! Not by much, but all the same...... These claims that violate Physics just make me dubious, as many of us were with the neutrino claim.
Comment icon #21 Posted by Codenwarra 6 years ago
As a former patent examiner 1. A published patent application is not repeat not a patent. Neither the original post or the Inquisitr articles gives an application or patent number.   2.  Patent examiners in the USA, UK, the EPO  and Australia are SPECIFICALLY FORBIDDEN BY LAW to give an opinion on whether an invention works or not. They can report on whether the deion supports the claims and whether the ideas is new enough.
Comment icon #22 Posted by DieChecker 6 years ago
I was meaning just to collect the heat to prove that the masked photons are even being propelled from the device.
Comment icon #23 Posted by DieChecker 6 years ago
If it fails to seem to produce thrust in numerous trials, there is only one thing to do.... Sell it to Alternative Energy sham companys who will then sell it to the idiots who believe in perpetual motion and free energy from magnets.  I do really hope it turns out to be real, but I suspect it is going to fall into the same bin with the E-Cat cold fusion device.
Comment icon #24 Posted by psyche101 6 years ago
I see where you are going now I would be surprised if they had not done something like that already though.
Comment icon #25 Posted by ChrLzs 6 years ago
Sorry about this lame attempt at humour, but I can't help wondering if this all a NASA April fool joke, or something - you know what those whacky fun-lovin sciency folk are like. I mean, the guy's name is Shawyer? (turn that W over..), and this is of course related to the Cannae drive.  The Cannae drive cannae work, if'n ye ask me, och aye the noo... More seriously, what I am seeing about Shawyer's history and attempts to set up corporations and fund-raise, is just a little concerning...  And some of the text they use as allegedly scientific reporting, is word salad / gibberish much more worth... [More]
Comment icon #26 Posted by DieChecker 6 years ago
Don't ever assume when really, really smart people are involved. The common sense solution to problems often elude them as they try to gather data by esoteric methods.
Comment icon #27 Posted by psyche101 6 years ago
You are correct, they did not do that specific test, they used a pendulum to measure thrust but they did replace the electrical load with an RF one to see if the same result was found, and it was not, which is pretty sound I would think.   Approximately 30-50 micro-Newtons of thrust were recorded from an electric propulsion test article consisting primarily of a radio frequency (RF) resonant cavity excited at approximately 935 megahertz. Testing was performed on a low-thrust torsion pendulum that is capable of detecting force at a single-digit micronewton level, within a stainless steel vacuum... [More]

Total Posts: 7,286,242    Topics: 299,735    Members: 197,545