Thursday, March 22, 2018

Woman taking selfie wrecks $200,000 exhibit

Posted on Saturday, 15 July, 2017 | Comment icon 30 comments

This woman's trip to the museum did not go well. Image Credit: YouTube / Party Pooper
The heart-stopping moment saw an entire row of extremely expensive art pieces collapse like dominoes.
The unnamed art enthusiast had been at Simon Birch's art installation 'The 14th Factory' in Los Angeles, when, while attempting to snap a photograph of herself on her mobile phone, she lost her balance and stumbled backwards, knocking over one of the pieces.

It's difficult to imagine how she must have felt as she watched the entire row of priceless items collapse one after the other like dominoes.

According to a spokeswoman for the exhibit, the accident, which happened around two weeks ago, caused around $200,000 worth of damage.

It isn't clear whether or not the insurance will cover the cost.

Source: | Comments (30)

Tags: Museum, Exhibit

Comment icon #21 Posted by Astra. on 16 July, 2017, 13:33
I understand what you're saying. And I don't have a lot of time for idiots in general. However, I just don't understand what this has to do with a young person who accidentally knocked over a wobbly, and an unstable art display which was apparent in the video. Anyway, no I'm over it now.
Comment icon #22 Posted by Grandpa Greenman on 16 July, 2017, 13:37
I agree with those who said it was a poorly setup exhibit.  Those  pieces should have been anchored down.  You have to idiot proof public exhibitions, people are very careless and don't give much thought to what they are doing. This looked like a kid.   The price of the art was the insurance value of the pieces, I am sure and the insurance company will want to recoup their loss, so they double the value.  The price of art is dictated by the market.  If you make something really nice, rich people are happy to pay big prices to decorate their fancy house and that is ok with me.
Comment icon #23 Posted by mesuma on 16 July, 2017, 22:01
No.  There are loads of people who tolerate others whilst they massage their ego with their own.  You don't set up a FB page to post other peoples pictures.
Comment icon #24 Posted by Timonthy on 16 July, 2017, 23:33
You realise that FB is only one of many social media platforms? It is globally the most popular, and there would definitely be millions of 'friends' for the purpose of checking out each others selfies. But more so, ever heard of Instagram? Many millions of people set up accounts for the sole purpose of following others and seeing their selfies etc. In Asia especially this is huge, part of a AU$10 billion industry in China alone and getting bigger much bigger.  I don't know how old you are, and maybe it doesn't happen a lot in Scotland, but it's definitely a huge thing, there's no debating that... [More]
Comment icon #25 Posted by Haroldbattschits on 17 July, 2017, 21:26
Vain and narcissistic millennials are getting what they deserve. On a recent trip to Japan with a large group of people, most of us were taking pics of the scenery etc whilst the younger pretty people only took selfies during the entire trip. If getting "likes" on your posts is your top priority, then you are nothing but a shallow oxygen sucker taking up space.
Comment icon #26 Posted by third_eye on 17 July, 2017, 21:34
I think I'm gonna be planning myself a little selfie accident with the Mona Lisa ... ~
Comment icon #27 Posted by Merc14 on 18 July, 2017, 1:29
Is anyone else thinking this may be a hoax?  Who sets up and exhibit like this with unsecured stands so close together people can barely get between them   I have never seen anything like it
Comment icon #28 Posted by Farmer77 on 18 July, 2017, 5:14
Funny you said that. As i was telling my wife about the story earlier that exact thought popped into my head , hoax or insurance fraud
Comment icon #29 Posted by WoIverine on 20 July, 2017, 18:25
Bound to happen one way or another the way those are organized in that room. Good that they all didn't go down.
Comment icon #30 Posted by mesuma on 30 July, 2017, 21:24
No. I didn't realize that.  Here in Scotland we still use a man on a horse, riding through the night to deliver information. Why he only just arrived with the parchment informing me of your slightly patronizing reply. Do you think we still live in mud huts? Wait that would explain how I somehow thought there was only one social media platform Debate it or not. It is a big thing, yes, a big annoying, horrible trend that has cost many a self absorbed person their lives. Why the feck are they at an art exhibition and yet more interested in themselves.  Shouldn't they be looking at hmmmmm the art?... [More]

Did Triceratops use its horns to attract a mate ?
Scientists believe that dinosaurs like Triceratops may have used their horns to impress potential partners.
Mystery 'Cotswold cat shaver' strikes again
Several cat owners in Gloucestershire have reported having their pet felines shaved by an unknown individual.
Self-driving car kills pedestrian in Arizona
The accident marks the first time that a pedestrian has ever been killed by an autonomous vehicle.
Amazon boss takes his robot dog for a walk
Tech entrepreneur Jeff Bezos attended Amazon's annual MARS conference with a very unusual companion.
Monkeys learn to socialize
Posted 3-18-2018 | 0 comments
These young vervet monkeys must learn to socialize before being released in to the wild.
Why don't birds get frostbite ?
Posted 3-16-2018 | 0 comments
How do birds stop their legs from getting frostbitten during freezing temperatures ?
Most straws in a beard
Posted 3-15-2018 | 2 comments
Kyle Kozemchick stuck 215 straws in to his beard for this bizarre world record attempt.
Michio Kaku on asteroid mining
Posted 3-13-2018 | 1 comment
Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku discusses the possibility of mining asteroids in space.
Fastest people in slow motion
Posted 3-12-2018 | 1 comment
A look at the world's fastest card thrower and an amazing fast draw world champion.
Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada
Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA
I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington
Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA