Friday, May 25, 2018

Audio illusion has been baffling the Internet

Posted on Thursday, 17 May, 2018 | Comment icon 86 comments

Do you hear 'laurel' or 'yanny' ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Marcus Quigmire
A simple audio clip of a word being spoken has divided listeners who can't agree on what the word actually is.
Have a listen to the audio clip below - do you hear the word 'laurel' or the word 'yanny' ?

Remarkably, some of those who have heard it swear that they can hear 'laurel' but not 'yanny', while others claim the complete opposite - insisting that the word is definitely 'yanny'.

The clip is a recording from a vocabulary website that was discovered by 18-year-old Roland Szabo.

When he played it back for his school classmates, none of them could agree on what the word was.

After he posted it online, the conundrum soon become something of an Internet phenomenon.

According to Poppy Crum, chief scientist at Dolby Labs in San Francisco, each person's interpretation of the clip will depend on their immediate environment and what hardware they are using.

"When there is more energy towards the mid and higher frequencies, people tend to hear 'Yanny'," she said. "When the low frequencies are more emphasized, people will hear 'Laurel'."

Other factors, such as gender and age, can also affect how the clip is perceived.

"There really isn't a true reality, there is only our perceptual reality," she said.

Source: Phys.org | Comments (86)

Tags: Audio, Illusion

Comment icon #77 Posted by bison on 19 May, 2018, 15:58
A little nonsense, or a joke is relished by the wisest folk.
Comment icon #78 Posted by Vlad the Mighty on 20 May, 2018, 6:44
Hardy.
Comment icon #79 Posted by Baldylocks on 20 May, 2018, 9:58
I would have liked to have heard this without the knowledge of the Yanny and Laurel, to see what I would have picked up. But with said knowledge, to begin with I heard Yanny, then I started to hear Laurel and that's all I hear now lol.
Comment icon #80 Posted by acute on 20 May, 2018, 17:29
It also depends on how good your hearing is. Although the original word is "laurel", more older people than youngsters will hear "yanny" because of their degraded frequency range. You can switch between Laurel and Yanny with a graphic equalizer.
Comment icon #81 Posted by Overdueleaf on 20 May, 2018, 21:55
I think my ears are broke because I heard neither....I clearly heard yellie each time I listened
Comment icon #82 Posted by Rlyeh on 21 May, 2018, 11:33
Jay Aubrey Jones, who's voice is the one recorded, states he's saying Laurel. https://www.npr.org/2018/05/20/612672766/the-voice-behind-the-laurel-or-yanny-recording-actor-jay-aubrey-jones
Comment icon #83 Posted by Vlad the Mighty on 22 May, 2018, 6:33
From the Guardian ..I hear covfefe
Comment icon #84 Posted by MissJatti on 23 May, 2018, 6:22
I heard yanny at first, then I played it again and heard Laurel in a robotic voice, now I hear both, but yanny is more clearer
Comment icon #85 Posted by AmandaASJ on 24 May, 2018, 22:30
To me it sound like Gary. But only me.
Comment icon #86 Posted by and then on 25 May, 2018, 1:41
I distinctly hear Laurel every time and my wife and daughter hear Yanni. They seem quite pleased to swear each other up against me

New tests cast doubt on 'impossible' EmDrive
5-24-2018
Researchers in Germany may have found an explanation for the thrust produced by the controversial drive.
New fossil find prompts Pangaea split rethink
5-24-2018
A new fossil discovery has revealed that the early supercontinent split more slowly than previously believed.
Florida city sends out zombie alert message
5-23-2018
Lake Worth residents were shocked to receive an alert warning them about zombies earlier this week.
Loch Ness DNA tests to aid in hunt for Nessie
5-23-2018
Scientists are aiming to learn exactly what types of creatures are living in Scotland's enigmatic loch.
Can an artificial intelligence really think ?
Posted 5-22-2018 | 9 comments
AI computer systems may be intelligent, but can they ever be truly self-aware ?

Where are all the B batteries ?
Posted 5-20-2018 | 3 comments
Batteries such as AA and AAA are common, but where are all the other letters ?

Meerkats caught in a dust storm
Posted 5-15-2018 | 1 comment
This group of meerkats in the Kalahari desert must split up to hide and survive the storm.

10 times Michio Kaku blew our minds
Posted 5-12-2018 | 2 comments
A look at some of theoretical physicist Michio Kaku's most mind-bending arguments.

Density ball
Posted 5-9-2018 | 0 comments
Michael takes a look at a ball with some rather unusual properties.

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA