Sunday, October 21, 2018

Audio illusion has been baffling the Internet

Posted on Thursday, 17 May, 2018 | Comment icon 87 comments

Do you hear 'laurel' or 'yanny' ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Marcus Quigmire
A simple audio clip of a word being spoken has divided listeners who can't agree on what the word actually is.
Have a listen to the audio clip below - do you hear the word 'laurel' or the word 'yanny' ?

Remarkably, some of those who have heard it swear that they can hear 'laurel' but not 'yanny', while others claim the complete opposite - insisting that the word is definitely 'yanny'.

The clip is a recording from a vocabulary website that was discovered by 18-year-old Roland Szabo.

When he played it back for his school classmates, none of them could agree on what the word was.

After he posted it online, the conundrum soon become something of an Internet phenomenon.

According to Poppy Crum, chief scientist at Dolby Labs in San Francisco, each person's interpretation of the clip will depend on their immediate environment and what hardware they are using.

"When there is more energy towards the mid and higher frequencies, people tend to hear 'Yanny'," she said. "When the low frequencies are more emphasized, people will hear 'Laurel'."

Other factors, such as gender and age, can also affect how the clip is perceived.

"There really isn't a true reality, there is only our perceptual reality," she said.

Source: Phys.org | Comments (87)

Tags: Audio, Illusion

Comment icon #78 Posted by Vlad the Mighty on 20 May, 2018, 6:44
Hardy.
Comment icon #79 Posted by Baldylocks on 20 May, 2018, 9:58
I would have liked to have heard this without the knowledge of the Yanny and Laurel, to see what I would have picked up. But with said knowledge, to begin with I heard Yanny, then I started to hear Laurel and that's all I hear now lol.
Comment icon #80 Posted by acute on 20 May, 2018, 17:29
It also depends on how good your hearing is. Although the original word is "laurel", more older people than youngsters will hear "yanny" because of their degraded frequency range. You can switch between Laurel and Yanny with a graphic equalizer.
Comment icon #81 Posted by Overdueleaf on 20 May, 2018, 21:55
I think my ears are broke because I heard neither....I clearly heard yellie each time I listened
Comment icon #82 Posted by Rlyeh on 21 May, 2018, 11:33
Jay Aubrey Jones, who's voice is the one recorded, states he's saying Laurel. https://www.npr.org/2018/05/20/612672766/the-voice-behind-the-laurel-or-yanny-recording-actor-jay-aubrey-jones
Comment icon #83 Posted by Vlad the Mighty on 22 May, 2018, 6:33
From the Guardian ..I hear covfefe
Comment icon #84 Posted by MissJatti on 23 May, 2018, 6:22
I heard yanny at first, then I played it again and heard Laurel in a robotic voice, now I hear both, but yanny is more clearer
Comment icon #85 Posted by AmandaASJ on 24 May, 2018, 22:30
To me it sound like Gary. But only me.
Comment icon #86 Posted by and then on 25 May, 2018, 1:41
I distinctly hear Laurel every time and my wife and daughter hear Yanni. They seem quite pleased to swear each other up against me
Comment icon #87 Posted by Ryu on 27 May, 2018, 16:04
Weird indeed. I listened to it for several seconds and while the ending sound seems more "L" like, the word almost sounds like "Yaurel". A combination of "Y" and "L". But as time goes by it seems the brain tries to filter the seeming incongruities but even then I am not entirely certain.

Road workers unearth woolly mammoth bones
10-21-2018
The prehistoric remains of a mammoth and rhinoceros have been discovered near Cambridge, England.
Perfectly square iceberg baffles the Internet
10-21-2018
This strangely geometric piece of ice was photographed by NASA off Antarctica's Larsen C ice shelf.
Ancient talisman inscription remains a mystery
10-20-2018
Experts in London have been attempting to decipher the writing on an ancient stone found in the 19th century.
Dr Who and Star Trek get new constellations
10-20-2018
NASA has revealed an unofficial list of new gamma ray constellations based on popular culture icons.
The city of towering temples
Posted 10-21-2018 | 2 comments
A look at the temples of Angkor - a city steeped in Cambodian history and legend.

How does fluid 'climb' up a rod ?
Posted 10-16-2018 | 4 comments
Physics Girl checks out a remarkable effect achievable with non-newtonian fluids.

Tense stand off with an elephant
Posted 10-10-2018 | 2 comments
A BBC film crew ends up face to face with a potentially hostile Indian elephant.

Free solo climbing in 360 degrees
Posted 10-5-2018 | 3 comments
Alex Honnold climbs up Yosemite's famous El Capitan with no equipment whatsoever.

An astronaut's guide to risk taking
Posted 10-1-2018 | 0 comments
Veteran NASA astronaut Chris Hadfield talks about his views on taking risks.

And the shadows smile
8-25-2018 | Deal UK

Disappearing objects
8-12-2018 | Houston TX USA

I dreamt that Austin was destroyed
8-12-2018 | USA / Texas

Demon on my TV screen
8-12-2018 | U.S.

3 knocks, 3 nights...
8-12-2018 | San Fernando Valley, CA

Feeling something strange
8-9-2018 | Sydney, Australia

Dragon sighting in Spring Tx.
8-9-2018 | Spring Texas