Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Audio illusion has been baffling the Internet

Posted on Thursday, 17 May, 2018 | Comment icon 87 comments

Do you hear 'laurel' or 'yanny' ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Marcus Quigmire
A simple audio clip of a word being spoken has divided listeners who can't agree on what the word actually is.
Have a listen to the audio clip below - do you hear the word 'laurel' or the word 'yanny' ?

Remarkably, some of those who have heard it swear that they can hear 'laurel' but not 'yanny', while others claim the complete opposite - insisting that the word is definitely 'yanny'.

The clip is a recording from a vocabulary website that was discovered by 18-year-old Roland Szabo.

When he played it back for his school classmates, none of them could agree on what the word was.

After he posted it online, the conundrum soon become something of an Internet phenomenon.

According to Poppy Crum, chief scientist at Dolby Labs in San Francisco, each person's interpretation of the clip will depend on their immediate environment and what hardware they are using.

"When there is more energy towards the mid and higher frequencies, people tend to hear 'Yanny'," she said. "When the low frequencies are more emphasized, people will hear 'Laurel'."

Other factors, such as gender and age, can also affect how the clip is perceived.

"There really isn't a true reality, there is only our perceptual reality," she said.

Source: Phys.org | Comments (87)

Tags: Audio, Illusion

Comment icon #78 Posted by Vlad the Mighty on 20 May, 2018, 6:44
Hardy.
Comment icon #79 Posted by Baldylocks on 20 May, 2018, 9:58
I would have liked to have heard this without the knowledge of the Yanny and Laurel, to see what I would have picked up. But with said knowledge, to begin with I heard Yanny, then I started to hear Laurel and that's all I hear now lol.
Comment icon #80 Posted by acute on 20 May, 2018, 17:29
It also depends on how good your hearing is. Although the original word is "laurel", more older people than youngsters will hear "yanny" because of their degraded frequency range. You can switch between Laurel and Yanny with a graphic equalizer.
Comment icon #81 Posted by Overdueleaf on 20 May, 2018, 21:55
I think my ears are broke because I heard neither....I clearly heard yellie each time I listened
Comment icon #82 Posted by Rlyeh on 21 May, 2018, 11:33
Jay Aubrey Jones, who's voice is the one recorded, states he's saying Laurel. https://www.npr.org/2018/05/20/612672766/the-voice-behind-the-laurel-or-yanny-recording-actor-jay-aubrey-jones
Comment icon #83 Posted by Vlad the Mighty on 22 May, 2018, 6:33
From the Guardian .. I hear covfefe
Comment icon #84 Posted by MissJatti on 23 May, 2018, 6:22
I heard yanny at first, then I played it again and heard Laurel in a robotic voice, now I hear both, but yanny is more clearer
Comment icon #85 Posted by AmandaASJ on 24 May, 2018, 22:30
To me it sound like  Gary. But only me.
Comment icon #86 Posted by and then on 25 May, 2018, 1:41
I distinctly hear Laurel every time and my wife and daughter hear Yanni.  They seem quite pleased to swear each other up against me
Comment icon #87 Posted by Ryu on 27 May, 2018, 16:04
Weird indeed. I listened to it for several seconds and while the ending sound seems more "L" like, the word almost sounds like "Yaurel". A combination of "Y" and "L". But as time goes by it seems the brain tries to filter the seeming incongruities but even then I am not entirely certain.

New prehistoric flying reptile discovered
8-13-2018
Scientists have revealed the discovery of a new species of giant pterosaur that lived over 200 million years ago.
Pence: US Space Force to be set up by 2020
8-13-2018
Trump's plan to establish American dominance in space could be set in motion sooner rather than later.
Robot could search Mars for alien organisms
8-12-2018
NASA is investigating the possibility of sending a probe to Mars that could directly seek out alien life forms.
Second Sphinx possibly discovered in Egypt
8-12-2018
Construction workers have unearthed what is thought to be a second Sphinx near the Valley of the Kings.
Otter swimming lessons
Posted 8-10-2018 | 3 comments
The parents of these six baby giant otters attempt to teach their offspring how to swim.

Giant millipedes
Posted 8-3-2018 | 11 comments
Coyote Peterson goes in search of some creatures with a rather large number of legs.

Slow-motion dragonfly
Posted 7-27-2018 | 3 comments
A look at how a dragonfly moves using a camera that takes 2,000 pictures every second.

Giant hornet and a dragonfly
Posted 7-23-2018 | 5 comments
A close-up look at two giant insects chilling on one brave guy's hand.

Why do bandaids glow ?
Posted 7-19-2018 | 0 comments
Dianna Cowern investigates why some bandaids produce a blue glow when they are opened.

Disappearing objects
8-12-2018 | Houston TX USA

I dreamt that Austin was destroyed
8-12-2018 | USA / Texas

Demon on my TV screen
8-12-2018 | U.S.

3 knocks, 3 nights...
8-12-2018 | San Fernando Valley, CA

Feeling something strange
8-9-2018 | Sydney, Australia

Dragon sighting in Spring Tx.
8-9-2018 | Spring Texas