Sunday, December 8, 2019

Horror as Chicago elevator plunges 80 floors

Posted on Monday, 19 November, 2018 | Comment icon 27 comments

The building has a total of 100 floors. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 4.0 Nicolas G. Mertens
Nightmare became reality for six passengers last week when their elevator plummeted towards the ground.
The accident happened at the John Hancock Center in Chicago on Friday when a hoist rope broke while the elevator was in use, causing it to plunge over 80 floors with people still trapped inside.

The other hoist ropes ultimately managed to bring it to a halt a mere 11 floors from the bottom.

"At the beginning I believed we were going to die," said one of the passengers, Jaime Montemayor.
"We were going down and then I felt that we were falling down and then I heard a noise - clack clack clack clack clack clack."

Firefighters took three hours to cut a hole through the wall of the elevator to rescue those inside.

Although shaken by their ordeal, fortunately none of the passengers were injured.

Source: Independent | Comments (27)

Tags: Elevator, Chicago

Comment icon #18 Posted by Timothy on 20 November, 2018, 7:58
Hope they didn’t have any trips booked! Might have to change the itinerary...
Comment icon #19 Posted by freetoroam on 20 November, 2018, 13:41
On this note and the article, maybe warning signs should be put in all elevators on such tall buildings,    And this is a no no....24 hours prior to entering the lift
Comment icon #20 Posted by UFOwatcher on 20 November, 2018, 16:35
" a hoist rope broke " A ROPE? and not a steal cable? Also sounds like all the safety features did not work (like breaks). There may be more to this story than presented. No elevator should be able to drop 80 floors! Where's old man Otis when you need him.
Comment icon #21 Posted by aztek on 20 November, 2018, 16:48
it is, you are reading an article written by a reporter, not a mechanic, yes brakes worked, or they would be hamburgers, brakes only kick in when it drops too fast, 1 cable malfunction will not always cause sudden drop.
Comment icon #22 Posted by rashore on 20 November, 2018, 16:50
Ugh, those elevators made me queasy even when working properly. They were on an express elevator from the restaurant on the 95th floor- it's an elevator that does not have stops at every floor, that's why when it got stuck at the 11th floor access had to be punched from the parking garage side. And yes, hoist ropes are made of steel cable in this building. It passed it's July inspection. Since this happened, two other elevators in the building were closed to check them, and folks using the building are doing so via service elevators at the moment.
Comment icon #23 Posted by Aaron2016 on 21 November, 2018, 1:30
Went up a fast elevator in the Empire State building in 2003.  Floor numbers ticked upwards real fast and my nose started to bleed.  Wasn't sure if the speed or the altitude had caused it.
Comment icon #24 Posted by jbondo on 21 November, 2018, 14:25
My wife works in the (former) Hancock. They changed the name to an address...I guess to make it more appealing to no one, Anyway, she'll be going down there Saturday. I'll tell her to see if the guy at the lobby desk knows anything not in the "official" report.
Comment icon #25 Posted by aztek on 21 November, 2018, 15:42
altitude and speed combined, rapid change of pressure,  i've heard it happens, but never actually experienced it, even during sharp dive in an airplane.
Comment icon #26 Posted by Princess Serenity on 22 November, 2018, 18:44
Never experienced anything like that but I did end up in an elevator that wouldn't open. I was like around ten? My little brother was still a baby and it scared the crap out of me as a young child. It just made me fearful of elevators. And while I was in school our elevator got stuck and the fire department had to be called. They got out of the elevator but these things are evil. I hate elevators.
Comment icon #27 Posted by Mr.United_Nations on 25 November, 2018, 19:00

'Expedition Bigfoot' set to track down Sasquatch
12-8-2019
A new TV series will follow a team of Bigfoot hunters as they attempt to find evidence of the creature's existence.
Plants 'scream' when stressed out, study finds
12-8-2019
Scientists have discovered that plants emit ultrasonic 'squeals' when stressed due to drought or damage.
Pentagon in U-turn over secretive UFO program
12-8-2019
The US government has completely changed its story over the purpose of its now-cancelled UFO program.
Large pyramid-shaped asteroid to fly past Earth
12-7-2019
A large space rock the approximate size and shape of the Great Pyramid of Giza is set for a close encounter.
My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA

The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia