Friday, August 7, 2020
  Bizarre

Weird 100-year-old Christmas wishes revealed

Posted on Monday, 24 December, 2018 | Comment icon 21 comments

Here comes Santa in his... uhh... airship. (1916) Image Credit: Public Domain
Letters to Santa written by children during the late 19th and early 20th centuries have been revealed on Twitter.
The process of writing a letter to Santa Claus at Christmas time has been a tradition for millions of children across the world for well over 100 years, however as one Twitter feed has demonstrated, not all of these letters were quite as you might expect.

The following are believed to be genuine letters from children written between 1895 and 1914.

You can find dozens more examples on the R.L. Ripples 'Tweets of Old' feed - here.

Source: Huffington Post | Comments (21)

Tags: Santa, Christmas

Comment icon #12 Posted by rashore on 24 December, 2018, 18:42
Yeah, I was thinking of the worm drive saw of the 20's, which would more likely have been portable to ask Santa for. I wasn't thinking about the larger mill saws that preceded the more portable ones. If the kid was asking for a mill sized saw, that's just funny. Savvy kid.
Comment icon #13 Posted by spartan max2 on 24 December, 2018, 18:59
Spanking or not spanking your kid doesn't really have a big effect on how your kid turns out. As long as you actually love, spend time with your kid, and have some form of rules, boundaries, and consequences you are fine. I've worked with orphans and foster kids. The kids normally came from parents on the extemes, either the parent had no rules and no consuqneces with the kid or the parents was super violent and abusive
Comment icon #14 Posted by OverSword on 24 December, 2018, 19:03
Yeah that one was weird. That kid probably grew up to work for Al Capone.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Gecks on 25 December, 2018, 12:54
This post shows you have zero knowledge of child psychology and the repercussionof hitting children as a form of discipline. Try looking at accredited programs such as the triple P program. Children are a sponge. Teaching a child to behave in the correct manner and make the correct decisions is not the same as making them fear your hand or yourself as a consequence. Example: they need to learn I wont steal that bike as it's the wrong thing to do as opposed to I wont steal that bike as if Im caught Im scared dad will belt me. Children that are hit by their parents or excessively verba... [More]
Comment icon #16 Posted by Antnanna on 26 December, 2018, 6:28
Couldn't of said it better
Comment icon #17 Posted by Gomar on 26 December, 2018, 16:26
And what fun will people have in 100 years when they read what kids of today ask Santa; such as XboX, a new iPhone, etc... People living on Mars will laugh at homeless kids, migrant children dying, starving kids in Africa, 75% of prisoners are black, etc.
Comment icon #18 Posted by Myles on 28 December, 2018, 15:45
I think different circumstances call for different measures. I grew up with 6 brothers and a sister. The fear of my dads belt was what was needed to keep order. We weren't whipped often, but if we deserved it, we got it. It worked for the large family very well. We all grew up and none of use are abusive towards are parents or families. I have 2 daughters. There really wasn't a need to spank them much growing up. When they were 2, a little bump on the bottom got the point across.
Comment icon #19 Posted by Gecks on 29 December, 2018, 20:57
And this is where we have a problem. We all grew up in different circumstances and yes a large family is hard to control. Believe me, as a young child I was an outlet for my dads anger at mum leaving him. I was spanked all the time and roughly at that and generally for nothing at all. I can still tell you I turned out alright to. Everyone who got spanked and is a reasonable person only has their own conclusions to draw upon. Im guaranteeing spend a day asking inmates in a prison if they were spanked as a child and your probably going to hear yes.... because the majority of parents do. I have ... [More]
Comment icon #20 Posted by Inky Bendy on 31 December, 2018, 23:40
Hitting is not discipline..it is hitting, plain and simple. And the "Spare the Rod and Spoil the Child" thing?...you DO realize that the "rod" is a symbol of teachers/teachingand learning which is why sages and such were oft depicted with a staff/rod... I got hit too and NEVER felt I deserved to be hit and all I learned was to lie more to avoid being hit and to fear other peoples anger because I feared being hit. Thanks
Comment icon #21 Posted by Trenix on 5 January, 2019, 17:01
Discipline is the act of training people to behave and obey rules through punishment. Hitting someone is a form of punishment. Also various translations of the text make it clear of what they're truly talking about and it's not some subliminal garbage. Punishment is what keeps people in line. I'm not sure how you became a fearful liar, because I don't personally know you and how you were raised. However I am far from a fearful lair, I can tell you that. Also it's hard to believe you when you just admitted you're a liar, it's no wonder you made a lie about the rod. I'm however not surprised, we... [More]

Ingested beetle escapes out of frog's posterior
8-6-2020
A bizarre experiment has demonstrated how one aquatic beetle can survive being swallowed up by a frog.
Neuralink chip to offer 'superhuman hearing'
8-6-2020
Elon Musk's potentially revolutionary brain-computer interface chip is nothing if not ambitious.
Donald Trump hints at UFO 'total transparency'
8-5-2020
The US President was quizzed again about the subject of UFOs during a recent interview on Fox Business.
First evidence of cancer found in dinosaur bone
8-5-2020
Palaeontologists have revealed for the first time that even the dinosaurs suffered from cancer.
Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball