Saturday, September 19, 2020

Aleister Crowley's house burns down again

Posted on Thursday, 1 August, 2019 | Comment icon 12 comments

At this rate, there won't be much of the house left to restore. Image Credit: Aleister Crowley
The fire-ravaged Loch Ness home of the infamous occultist has been further damaged by another fire.
Situated near Foyers at the south-east side of Loch Ness, Scotland, Boleskine House was built in the 18th century in an area with a long history of peculiar happenings.

Aleister Crowley - a man who was once regarded as 'the wickedest man in the world' - lived at the house between 1899 and 1933 and was said to have used it to conduct black magic rituals.

The building was severely damaged after a fire broke out back in 2015, prompting its owner to put both the property and the surrounding area of land up for sale.

It was later purchased by a group of investors who set up the Boleskine House Foundation with the intention of restoring the house to its former glory and opening it up to the public.
Now however, it has been reported that the already badly damaged ruins have been damaged even further still by yet another fire that tore through two separate parts of the property yesterday.

Fire crews who battled to put out the blaze believe that the fires were started deliberately.

The Boleskine House Foundation has described it as a "criminal act of vandalism."

An investigation in to the incident is still ongoing.

Source: BBC News | Comments (12)

Tags: Aleister Crowley, Loch Ness

Comment icon #3 Posted by Impedancer on 31 July, 2019, 21:50
Me too and that man was indeed wicked he was total bell end.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Piney on 31 July, 2019, 22:07
He was "evil" but he was "stupid evil". Born out of addiction, mental health issues and ignorance.
Comment icon #5 Posted by RabidMongoose on 1 August, 2019, 10:44
Crowley was an interesting character and seems to have devoted his life to becoming some kind of high priest. I still suspect that it was him on the radio not Churchill during his WW2 speeches. Was he our secret weapon again the Vril society? Anyway, he has some interesting views in his books about how reality works. Its like his own take on Gnosticism.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Seti42 on 1 August, 2019, 11:41
Crowley seemed to be douchey misogynist, sure. 'evil'? Eh, I dunno. There's a lot of BS floating around about him, mainly because 'good' god-fearing Christian types hate anything remotely occult related. Fact is though, this does sound like arson (which is a crime in Scotland, I assume) and I feel bad for the people who want to restore the house and make it a destination of historical and cultural interest.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Robotic Jew on 1 August, 2019, 11:55
Eminem got away with it. I'm sure whoever did this can too.
Comment icon #8 Posted by XenoFish on 1 August, 2019, 12:27
They wanted to make it a sex magick house.  https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2019/07/aleister-crowleys-cursed-loch-ness-home-to-reopen-as-a-sex-magick-retreat/
Comment icon #9 Posted by Seti42 on 1 August, 2019, 16:53
"The Boleskine Foundation has announced that along with the new ownership, the site will now “promote events and activities that facilitate health and wellness such as meditation and yoga as well as education on Thelema, the spiritual legacy forwarded by previous Boleskine House owner, Aleister Crowley.” The house will be open to the public for much of the year, but will close on certain dates for special events and rituals related to Thelema.  No word on when the weird sex stuff is happening yet. Stay tuned."   That's an actual quote from the Brett Tingley's article you linked from MU. So...W... [More]
Comment icon #10 Posted by pixiii on 2 August, 2019, 4:17
If it's beyond restoration or repairs of any kind, then yes, otherwise, I disagree. I absolutely love old homes and buildings and my interest in this house is purely for historical reasons and all of the different owners since it was originally built.  When I first saw this lovely old home was purchased and plans for restoring it were underway, I must admit I was pretty excited. There is such history connected to this oldie and I think it would look absolutely marvelous when completed.   I also respected that fact if people wanted to invest their money in restoring it and making something of i... [More]
Comment icon #11 Posted by Captain Risky on 2 August, 2019, 7:18
I like old buildings too but in this case i think bulldozing the building would be an excellent idea. Tell you why. Years ago i was in Paris and visited the grave of Jim Morrison. It was guarded 24/7 by security. Spoke to one of the guards and asked him why just that tomb was guarded while the others were not. Turns out that weirdo's have been caught in the act of trying to dig up Jim Morrisons grave to steel the bones. So if this house attracts similar nut jobs then best to destroy it.
Comment icon #12 Posted by pixiii on 2 August, 2019, 7:44
Oh my, that's awful!  I think I lean towards saving any old building, however bad a condition it may be in.  But I think this stems from where I live....the oldest building here in Australia was built in 1793.  It's little over 220 years old.  The buildings in the UK and Europe are so much older and whilst I realise it's probably not even practical to restore the Boleskine House, it doesn't alter my wishful thinking that a house of such history could be restored and ideally left alone.  But you are most likely right, this house would almost always attract people for reasons other than what I'd... [More]

Weird science projects gain Ig Nobel Prize
9-19-2020
Some of this year's most bizarre science projects were recognized at an online ceremony this week.
Australian tree stings with spider-like toxins
9-18-2020
Scientists have been studying what gives the rather unusual 'gympie gympie' tree such an excruciating sting.
Man uses live snake as face mask on UK bus
9-18-2020
Commuters couldn't believe their eyes this week when a man wearing a large snake got onto the bus.
Two 'ghosts' caught on camera at Gettysburg
9-17-2020
Footage has emerged that allegedly shows two ghostly figures at the site of the Battle of Gettysburg.
Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball