Saturday, December 7, 2019

Annual Mothman festival held in Point Pleasant

Posted on Monday, 23 September, 2019 | Comment icon 16 comments

This statue of Mothman was unveiled back in 2003. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Katherine Bowman
Thousands descended on the West Virginia town at the weekend to celebrate the world-famous monster.
Described as a human-like entity with wings and glowing red eyes, Mothman was encountered by several witnesses in and around Point Pleasant between November 1966 and December 1967.

It came to be regarded as a portent of doom due to its association with the collapse of the nearby Silver Bridge which resulted in the deaths of 46 people.

Since then the creature has become ingrained in popular culture and since 2002 the people of Point Pleasant have held an annual gathering to celebrate all things Mothman.
The festival typically features guest speakers, exhibits, competitions and more.

"Whether it's real or not real, I think it's really cool that this big urban legend brings people from all over together," said Emily Ahmuty, a student at West Virginia University.

"I'm not even from West Virginia, and I'm here, so it's just nice that there's something that can unite people and bring a lot of fun."

Source: wvpublic.org | Comments (16)

Tags: Mothman

Comment icon #7 Posted by Bella-Angelique on 24 September, 2019, 15:14

Comment icon #8 Posted by the13bats on 25 September, 2019, 17:47
i was under the impression the artist felt arms, more human ish gave in to the scary alien myth folklore better, one has to keep in mind that even the late john keel who wrote the book that spring boared what wasnt a big story ( about like loveland frog, and you go huh? ) he even said when he was there he saw folklore in the making. coming down to earth weeding out embellishments and attention seeking "me toos" bandwagon effect. the orginal deion which was from a few kids out joy riding partying aside of size was perfect for that of an angry owl   note that first drawing had the horns, after i... [More]
Comment icon #9 Posted by Scholar4Truth on 25 September, 2019, 20:32
I would go for the food and entertainment.
Comment icon #10 Posted by The Caspian Hare on 25 September, 2019, 23:36
I have never seen Mothman in West Virginia. I have seen Methman, however.
Comment icon #11 Posted by ThereWeAreThen on 25 September, 2019, 23:48
No way!!! I've seen Methman all over South Wales! How can he be at some many places at once!
Comment icon #12 Posted by XenoFish on 25 September, 2019, 23:50
The methman phenomena is real. Not sure about mothman, which has been oddly silent. Perhaps Mothman and Bigfoot finally eloped?
Comment icon #13 Posted by openozy on 26 September, 2019, 10:21
Don't forget the naphthalene.
Comment icon #14 Posted by the13bats on 26 September, 2019, 18:35
I would love something fun campy like this to be near me, seems the flying hook was gonna try to do a lot lizard fest but it didnt pan out.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Desertrat56 on 26 September, 2019, 18:39
Where do you live.  I thought every area had something like this once a year.
Comment icon #16 Posted by the13bats on 26 September, 2019, 18:48
lol, i moved after 46 years in orlanduh to useless, um eustis, fl, the closest "fest" was really that zellwood corn festival,  there might be a skunkape fest down south i better look into that.

'Bigfoot chases car' video emerges in Russia
12-6-2019
Footage showing a car being pursued by an unknown creature has been doing the rounds on social media.
Banana duct-taped to a wall sells for $120,000
12-6-2019
Modern art connoisseurs have taken to a rather tongue-in-cheek exhibit at a Miami Beach art festival this week.
Quantum physicist describes alien encounter
12-6-2019
Quantum computing expert Deep Prasad has come forward with a rather extraordinary story.
Planet found orbiting white dwarf in world first
12-5-2019
Astronomers have discovered a huge planet orbiting the burnt-out husk of a star that was once like the Sun.
My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA

The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia