Wednesday, January 20, 2021

UFO sightings up 283% in New York since 2018

Posted on Thursday, 17 December, 2020 | Comment icon 11 comments

The Big Apple is no stranger to UFO sightings. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 William Warby
New Yorkers reported far more than the usual number of strange objects in the sky over the last 12 months.
With a population of over 8 million people packed into a relatively small area, it's no surprise that New York City has been home to a fair few sightings of unidentified flying objects over the years.

This has been particularly true this year with New York residents reporting 46 separate UFO sightings over the last 12 months - an increase of 31% on last year and a whopping 283% on the year before.

According to the National UFO Reporting Center, Brooklyn saw the most sightings, followed by Manhattan and then Queens, however there were sightings in several other boroughs as well.

One of these, which was reported in the small hours of July 21st, happened over Staten Island where a resident claimed that an oval-shaped UFO had "sent a surge of heat/radiation through his body."

"[I] honestly thought it was the government putting something into the air with everything going on during these times and I thought I would wake up and find it all over the news," he said.
In another report, a Bronx resident described seeing 30 objects "flying in a perfect line, in perfect synchronicity [that] looked like a bunch of moving stars," on June 8th.

"I don't drink, or take any drugs whatsoever," they wrote. "I'm not a UFO conspiracy theorist."

This particular sighting however may have an explanation as several other people have reported similar spectacles in recent months due to the launch of Elon Musk's Starlink satellites.

These often appear as a row of lights moving across the sky - just as the witness described.

Even so, such launches are only likely to account for a small percentage of the overall sightings.

Source: New York Post | Comments (11)

Tags: UFO, New York

Comment icon #2 Posted by Old Guy on 18 December, 2020, 3:43
Hallucinations during covid lockdown starvation coming to a restaurant dependent city near you soon.
Comment icon #3 Posted by CigaretteSmokingMan on 18 December, 2020, 8:34
Swamp gas. Move along people.
Comment icon #4 Posted by quillius on 18 December, 2020, 10:17
I guess increase in drone sales over the last few years. Plus the number of protests and rallies in the USA could all have played a part.   I wonder how many of those reports are of a single event/sighting?
Comment icon #5 Posted by kalon1701 on 18 December, 2020, 14:00
I have spent many nights staring at the sky, over the course of 40+ years of amateur astronomy I have never seen anything I haven't been able to explain, When I'm out with a 'scope I often get asked, by the "normal people" if I've seen a UFO, a few seem surprised when I tell them I haven't.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Harry Potter on 18 December, 2020, 19:56
I have seen a number of objects in the sky I could not explain.  With some rationalization, I could be convinced that several of them could be weather balloons, or birds, but there are others that I can't rationalize.  One, in particular, I observed mid-day, in a clear blue sky.  I cannot adequately describe what I saw and followed in my car.  It would not allow itself to fit into any deive box.  The best I can say is that it changed shape, had a nearly transparent part, along with a metallic looking part.  Each was changing shape constantly.  The transparent part was something like a clear pl... [More]
Comment icon #7 Posted by callis on 22 December, 2020, 3:20
That's a shame. I hope you're not using this comment to make some kind of argument form personal incredulity, though.
Comment icon #8 Posted by kalon1701 on 22 December, 2020, 17:45
Absolutely not, I have no doubt at all that we are not alone in the universe, On most things I can be quite damning but I do find myself intrigued by the possibility that we may have been visited by beings from other worlds but, if I'm honest, when we consider the huge distances between stars I doubt it has happened.
Comment icon #9 Posted by callis on 30 December, 2020, 4:54
How do you feel about the idea of the UFO phenomenon not being extraterrestrial? I personally believe that there is something to the phenomenon, but I'm not sold on the ET hypothesis.
Comment icon #10 Posted by preacherman76 on 30 December, 2020, 17:28
I got 20+ years doing the same. With the same results. The thing that led me to be such a dedicated sky watcher though was because one night before I cared much about watching the sky, I witnessed a flying saucer fly above my house for a half hour.
Comment icon #11 Posted by ufoguy on 8 January, 2021, 2:55
you ever heard of worm holes?..

Is the Loch Ness Monster an ancient sea turtle ?
1-19-2021
One researcher has come up with a new theory to explain sightings of the legendary Scottish loch monster.
How can people hear the voices of the dead ?
1-19-2021
Scientists have been attempting to find out what makes a person more likely to hear voices from beyond the grave.
Witness recounts 'winged creature' encounter
1-18-2021
Three people had been driving in northeastern Illinois when they saw a flying creature with 'human proportions'.
Revealed: the face of Siberia's 'Tutankhamun'
1-18-2021
Scientists in Russia have painstakingly reconstructed the face of a Scythian king found in a tomb in East Siberia.
The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball