Wednesday, June 12, 2024
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
Unexplained Mysteries
You are viewing: Home > News > The UFO Phenomenon > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )
All ▾
Search Submit

The UFO Phenomenon

Two pilots radio in to report sightings of the same UFO over Ireland

By T.K. Randall
June 10, 2024 · Comment icon 31 comments
Airline pilots in the cockpit.
What did the pilots see ? (file photo) Image Credit: CC BY 4.0 John Christian Fjellestad
Both pilots had contacted air traffic control to report that they had spotted something unusual in the sky.
The incident was brought to light recently by 17-year-old aviation journalist Shaun Dunne who picked up the radio messages being exchanged by the pilots of two separate planes.

The first pilot contacted air traffic control at around 00:30 on May 29th to report a bright, unidentified object, stating: "it was there then it went" and that "it was almost like it was staying still then it went really quickly."

A second pilot then chipped in to state that they had also witnessed the anomalous object.

Both pilots ended the conversation with a suitably humorous exchange:

"I've never seen something amazing like that before," said one.
"You obviously haven't seen my landings," the other replied.

"Well how do I say this, you haven't seen mine either," the first pilot added.

Afterward, both planes continued to their original destinations without further incident.

So what did they see that night that prompted them both to contact air traffic control ?

Sadly, we will probably never know.

Source: extra.ie | Comments (31)

Other news and articles
Comment icon #22 Posted by simplybill 8 hours ago
I agree. You may have noticed in my earlier post that I began with: ”UFOs/aliens aside…”
Comment icon #23 Posted by Trelane 7 hours ago
I did. I wasn't arguing with you, only stating my opinion.
Comment icon #24 Posted by simplybill 7 hours ago
Those of you who would like more details about the incident can contact Shaun directly through the email address on his website: *****@***** ETA :  Oops, I forgot that posting email addresses is forbidden.  The address is on the website that was in the OP.
Comment icon #25 Posted by L.A.T.1961 6 hours ago
Air traffic control would take reports from pilots and inform other aircraft in the area of objects that might be a hazard. Unfortunately due to the radio operator's limited range for radio pick up there is no idea what ATC might have said to the pilots. Or other aircraft in the area. Only what the pilots said to ATC and each other.  If listening in to air coms from aircraft via airband radio receiver its not unusual to hear only one side of the conversation.
Comment icon #26 Posted by Trelane 5 hours ago
But if ATC had reports of unknown/unidentified aircraft IVO of their area of responsibility, wouldn't this also be reported to the closest RAF station for notifications?
Comment icon #27 Posted by L.A.T.1961 5 hours ago
There would be a line of communication between civilian ATC and the military. ATC would decide if it was necessary to use it?  The Military is probably piggybacked onto UK civilian Radar output, as well as their own resources.  It would be daft not to. So they would already be aware of anything interesting going on?
Comment icon #28 Posted by simplybill 4 hours ago
This was on his website: “An aircraft (The one in the First ATC clip below) reported it to ATC on the Guard/Emergency frequency (121.500)…”
Comment icon #29 Posted by Trelane 4 hours ago
That's one of my follow on questions. I guess it's a 'wait and see' for any more information to be released.
Comment icon #30 Posted by Hazzard 4 hours ago
My guess is that this is it.
Comment icon #31 Posted by simplybill 3 hours ago
I wrote Shaun an email to invite him to join the discussion, but then I remembered my email address has my full name, so I deleted it. I prefer to remain anonymous.  Considering his apparent enthusiasm for all things Aviation-related, I’m pretty sure he’d be happy to participate here, if someone wants to send him a message.

Our new book is out now!
Book cover

The Unexplained Mysteries
Book of Weird News

AVAILABLE NOW

Take a walk on the weird side with this compilation of some of the weirdest stories ever to grace the pages of a newspaper.

Click here to learn more

We need your help!
Patreon logo

Support us on Patreon

BONUS CONTENT

For less than the cost of a cup of coffee, you can gain access to a wide range of exclusive perks including our popular 'Lost Ghost Stories' series.

Click here to learn more