Friday, April 27, 2018
Have you ever lived in a haunted house, spotted a UFO, captured something unusual on camera or otherwise had a brush with the mysterious ? If so then we want to hear from you - please send us your story and we will feature it in our new Stories & Experiences section.

I think I know what I saw

Posted on 3-5-2018 | Comment icon 18 comments

By: Mysticwerewolf | Location: Near Sultan, Washington

Back in the late 70s and early 80s I used to target practice in the sand and Gravel pits and mountains around Sultan Washington. Back in the summer of 82 I was target practicing one summer day and had a unusual encounter in one of those sand pits.

I had a 3X12 powered scope on the 30-06 with me on this day and was going though a hundred rounds practicing shooting with both eyes open. I had just replaced the an empty clip with a new one.

I took one shot out of the new clip and then noticed some movement out of the corner of my eye. I scoped in on the movement and saw what looked like a large hairy humanoid. The hair was just a shade darker than golden brown I could see the body from about the waist up

It was standing at the top of the sand pit to the left of where I was targeting, calmly watching me. At first I thought someone had put up a cardboard cutout up there and I scoped it out to see what I was actually seeing. While I was looking at it through my scope at it from a range of about 75 to a 100 feet away, it blinked and my first thought was 'bigfoot'

Then I remembered someone once told me there was a million dollar bounty on one of these creature and I decided to cash in on said bounty. But instead of pulling the trigger I stared for maybe 35 seconds or so longer and then put the rifle down. It seemed that I had tunnel vision and I continued to watch whatever it was until it stepped backwards into the trees and vanished. Then I grabbed my rifle and ran for the spot it had been standing in.

I got there and started looking for some evidence. No foot prints, no hair, no stench, no evidence of any type. I searched for I would guess 20 to 30 minutes, I measured a tree standing next to what whatever it had been and I had to grab he rifle by the butt and extend my arm as high as it could go to reach a point on the tree that had been next to the head of the creature and it was 8 feet tall give or take an inch. (I double checked the measurement with a tape when I got back to the car I kept tools in the trunk)

After I realized what I almost did I got scared at what I had thought about shooting at. I decided to leave and came back to Seattle.

It was just a couple years later when the memories came back to haunt me. I was watching Harry and the Hendersons and when I saw Harry I could not believe what I was seeing. The face of what I saw in the mountains was not as pretty as what I saw on TV but in general they looked the same.

That is an awful chance to take, sneaking up on someone while in a costume who is shooting a hunting rifle just for a joke. And if it was someone in a costume they needed a good makeup artist to pull it off I was looking at it magnified through the scope on my rifle and could not see signs of makeup artistry. Was it someone dressed up in a bigfoot suit or was it real.

To this day, I don't know what I saw, but I know I saw it and I think I know what it was, the one thing I do know it was not a bear. I have hunted them and harvested them several times.

Comments (18)

<< Previous story
Ghost, or something else ?
Next story >>
Two shadows of me

Comment icon #9 Posted by papageorge1 on 7 March, 2018, 23:39
Now that may be true, but we must still keep open the possibility that the Bigfoot had a (paranormal) skill to heighten (evoke) this stress response as a survival technique of the Bigfoot. I would like to hear @mysticwerewolf thoughts on how he felt and why he thinks he experienced what he did versus other shooting experiences.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Piney on 7 March, 2018, 23:48
I always thought there was a chemical one. Like a pheromonal discharge of some sort. Initiating a "fear factor"That is of course, going by accounts I read. But Like I said before. I followed up on just about every sighting in the Pine Barrens and I haven't found any evidence yet.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Not A Rockstar on 7 March, 2018, 23:53
Lord knows I would never tell him not to talk about it, just the known, real factor of normal tunnel vision and how much higher stress would be to think I was seeing something like BF, or ET or grizzly .... no paranormal power needed, I'd be freaking out. Street thugs are one thing, something bigger than me or alien? Forget it, I'd be freaking. I like his story for the reality of it, and no, I do not believe in BF, tbh. Not the way the tales go or how most think of him. I appreciate his story though. I believe it. He was sure he saw something out there. But go ahead and let's call it paranorma... [More]
Comment icon #12 Posted by papageorge1 on 7 March, 2018, 23:53
The OP story may help explain why you have not been able to find evidence. The story suggests the Bigfoot may have a paranormal way to cover their tracks (literally and figuratively).
Comment icon #13 Posted by Piney on 7 March, 2018, 23:55
I can do that without paranormal methods. I'm sure something that lives closer to, and deeper in, the wilderness can do the same.
Comment icon #14 Posted by papageorge1 on 8 March, 2018, 0:00
That explanation is less likely in this case because the OP watched the creature until he vanished. I would think covering tracks in a sandy pit would requires some noticeable effort.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Piney on 8 March, 2018, 0:03
Sand is easy to cover your tracks in. Ask any Tuaregor Dine' tracker.
Comment icon #16 Posted by mysticwerewolf on 8 March, 2018, 3:33
I was totally stunned at what I was seeing, Granted it was along time ago, but I do not remember any emotions save stunned amazement ( and it haunts me more now then it did then) until it vanished, Then I got excited. And like so many others would, at first I thought someone in a suit was standing there. it was totally calm, or so it looked. It was just standing there watching me until it vanished.. and there was No time for the creature to hide it's tracks and vanish into the woods. It could not have been more than two or three minutes from the time it stepped backwards and vanished into th... [More]
Comment icon #17 Posted by mysticwerewolf on 8 March, 2018, 4:36
I am going to amend the above just a little there was a brief flash of fear, after I got back to my car from the search. But other than that the emotions above are mostly what I remember feeling.
Comment icon #18 Posted by papageorge1 on 8 March, 2018, 4:36
That is what I was getting at in my posts. Something seemingly paranormal not allowing you to get a disclosure for the world! I think this Bigfoot phenomena is not fully in the realm of the "known'.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA