Monday, June 26, 2017

Hoaxers plan 'alien invasion' in April

Posted on Monday, 3 March, 2014 | Comment icon 89 comments

The 'UFOs' will be drones made up to look like alien invaders. Image Credit: Dkroetsch
Volunteers are lining up to take part in an alien invasion prank made up of drones disguised as UFOs.
The "Big UFO Project" was originally set to take place on April Fool's Day but was later pushed back a few days to April 5th to help offset immediate suspicion.

Despite the fact that details of the event are already plastered all over the Internet, organizers are hoping to fool the media in to believing that an alien apocalypse is taking place. Swarms of the glowing drones will launch at around 8pm in countries across the world including the UK, USA, France and the Netherlands.

"It is surprising how easy it is to fool people into thinking they have seen a UFO, especially if it is a light in the sky," said author Nigel Watson. "As it is very difficult to judge the height and speed of such objects, witnesses can think they are passing relatively close to them and they can imagine seeing windows and the body of a larger craft behind the light or lights."

Given how much is already known about the hoax however it seems unlikely that sightings of the drones on April 5th will have quite as much of an impact as the organizers are hoping for.

Source: Yahoo! News | Comments (89)

Tags: UFO, Drone, Invasion

Comment icon #80 Posted by scowl on 10 April, 2014, 17:28
Richard Branson's April Fools UFO over London in 1989 looked fantastic! Sadly, it wasn't a trivial project. Good thing I'm not rich and bored. I'd be pulling pranks like this all the time.
Comment icon #81 Posted by Sakari on 10 April, 2014, 17:32
Come on, man. They're all toys! My wife said the same thing I did not agree, and " RC enthusiasts " do not either. Grown men and women do not play with toys. Myself, I agree with you, we all have a child inside of us. I wish I was a better " pilot ", I would have been more into it. And wish I had more money, the FPV flying is un real, but expensive.
Comment icon #82 Posted by scowl on 13 April, 2014, 5:15
Here's my wide scale hoax. I was slightly impressed by that boomerang UFO in the other thread, mainly because I bought one of those boomerangs that tourists like me buy when they visit Australia. (Ooops, I guess you can't say Aboriginals any more. I apologize if this was offensive.) So turning this into a UFO was simply covering it with aluminum foil, tossing it into the air (like Sweetpumper suggested), and lighting it up with a powerful flash with some gels on it to give it a pretty color. I used these two orange gels plus a pink gel which roughly gives the color of a sodium vapor light. I w... [More]
Comment icon #83 Posted by Sakari on 13 April, 2014, 14:36
Comment icon #84 Posted by scowl on 13 April, 2014, 16:26
Enter that at MUFON.....I would It's more tempting to me to pull a Randi and send in one of the crummier shots. Like this one: You can tell this is one of my first attempts because the sky isn't completely dark. But do the faults in this photo make it look more genuine? The cedar tree caught some of the flash so I pointed it higher after I saw this, but by lighting the tree it kind of makes the "UFO" look like it's much higher the tree (of course it's much lower). And gosh, it looks like maybe that bright thing is lighting up the tree. Wow! The object is obviously aluminum foil but it also loo... [More]
Comment icon #85 Posted by Sakari on 13 April, 2014, 16:40
It's more tempting to me to pull a Randi and send in one of the crummier shots. Like this one: You can tell this is one of my first attempts because the sky isn't completely dark. But do the faults in this photo make it look more genuine? The cedar tree caught some of the flash so I pointed it higher after I saw this, but by lighting the tree it kind of makes the "UFO" look like it's much higher the tree (of course it's much lower). And gosh, it looks like maybe that bright thing is lighting up the tree. Wow! The object is obviously aluminum foil but it also looks like it could be a superior s... [More]
Comment icon #86 Posted by DONTEATUS on 13 April, 2014, 18:08
I still like this Image !file://localhost/Users/magrathea/Desktop/988435_683512341713884_1931728683691500671_n.jpg
Comment icon #87 Posted by scowl on 13 April, 2014, 18:12
Damn, a whole panel blew out almost to the bell!
Comment icon #88 Posted by DONTEATUS on 14 April, 2014, 1:54
Damn, a whole panel blew out almost to the bell! RIght Its whats Real in the World of Factual Space Travel !
Comment icon #89 Posted by scowl on 14 April, 2014, 15:52
Attention North American sky watchers! Tonight there will be a total lunar eclipse over our continent. That means if you have your fancy cameras sitting on tripods to take pictures of this event and something unusual and unexpected appears in the sky, don't hesitate to take photos of it too. No one will question what you were doing outside with a camera on a tripod at 10PM tonight. We need your help. We are just one or two good photos away from solving the entire UFO mystery.

Laser beam is 'as bright as a billion suns'
6-26-2017
The high-powered Diocles Laser in Nebraska is changing the way that scientists look at the universe.
SpaceX launches two rockets within 48 hours
6-26-2017
The double launch showcased the private space firm's ability to scale up and manage multiple launches.
Anonymous: 'NASA to announce alien life'
6-26-2017
The hacktivist group has suggested that NASA may be on the verge of making a very important announcement.
Deer filmed engaging in bizarre 'slap fight'
6-25-2017
Footage recorded by a wildlife camera in Tennessee shows two whitetail bucks slapping each other silly.
Spider shoots 25-meter web
Posted 6-26-2017 | 0 comments
The Darwin's Bark Spider is a real-life spiderwoman with a gigantic river-spanning web.

Longest marble run
Posted 6-25-2017 | 1 comment
This record-breaking marble run in Elgg, Switzerland stretched 1,918.12 meters through the town.

Predicting disasters
Posted 6-24-2017 | 0 comments
Richard A. Clarke talks about the ways in which catastrophes can be predicted in advance.

How big are spacecraft ?
Posted 6-23-2017 | 2 comments
Most images of spacecraft are set in space, which makes it hard to judge relative size.

Eusocial animals
Posted 6-22-2017 | 1 comment
How do ants and termites manage to create such enormous and impressive structures ?

Craig is here
6-10-2017 | Phoenix AZ

We saw the same thing!
6-10-2017 | Pooler, GA

Three female faces
6-5-2017 | Illinois (IL)

Encounter at 3:33 AM
6-5-2017 | Budapest

Trade school terror
5-26-2017 | Cedro woolley, Wa.

Someone is on my bed