Friday, September 30, 2016

UFO misinformation in Snowden leaked files

Posted on Sunday, 2 March, 2014 | Comment icon 28 comments

Is the government fabricating stories about UFOs ? Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Gerhard Uhlhorn
Leaked slides appear to offer guidelines on how to create and spread false information on the Internet.
Part of a set of documents released by NSA whistle-blower Edward Snowden, the Powerpoint Presentation includes a series of 50 images including 3 that appear to show unidentified flying objects.

UFO enthusiasts examining the material have determined however that far from being evidence of extraterrestrial visitation the documents appear to be instead designed to teach spies how to spread misinformation. The images themselves seem to be of a questionable nature with one in particular being dismissed as an "out of focus picture of a seagull."

"Government agencies are still aware of the power of the belief in UFOs, and that they are willing to use the Internet to exploit these beliefs," said author Nigel Watson. "Such deception can be used as a means of covering-up more mundane terrestrial activities (like the testing of secret aircraft or military exercises) or to undermine the credibility of ufologists."

Source: Yahoo! News | Comments (28)

Tags: UFO, Misinformation

Comment icon #19 Posted by Dark_Grey on 4 March, 2014, 14:54
Comment icon #20 Posted by sinewave on 4 March, 2014, 16:48
The NSA already has paid internet "trolls" and a program to use troll-like tactics to discredit certain groups online. I have to find that leaked document; it's as hilarious as it is unnerving. I wouldn't put it past them to try and discredit UFO sightings as well - nothing they do really surprises me anymore. ET visitation believers are completely capable of discrediting themselves. No dark government plots required.
Comment icon #21 Posted by Mikko-kun on 5 March, 2014, 21:50
ET visitation believers are completely capable of discrediting themselves. No dark government plots required. You can't honestly say that discreditor trolls wouldn't influence opinions. Or well people can claim whatever they want as we've all seen, but lets just say that you cannot make me see it that way no matter how hard you'd try. And I'd like to think I have quite an open mind.
Comment icon #22 Posted by sinewave on 5 March, 2014, 22:15
You can't honestly say that discreditor trolls wouldn't influence opinions. Or well people can claim whatever they want as we've all seen, but lets just say that you cannot make me see it that way no matter how hard you'd try. And I'd like to think I have quite an open mind. So is that what you are going to call people who disagree with you?
Comment icon #23 Posted by Mikko-kun on 5 March, 2014, 23:24
So is that what you are going to call people who disagree with you? So that's how you read me, like the devil the bible? There's a difference between questioning UFO stuff and just plain discrediting remark like "crazy ppl see ufos". I didn't say everyone with a non-believer view was like that. I'm not an UFO-believer really either, not much. Maybe because I say stuff you dont like, you try to read my words as ill-mannered as possible? Or did you just misunderstand? And yeah, the post of mine you quoted and asked that, two posts before that of mine, there's talk about NSA's discreditor trolls.... [More]
Comment icon #24 Posted by sinewave on 6 March, 2014, 2:48
So that's how you read me, like the devil the bible? There's a difference between questioning UFO stuff and just plain discrediting remark like "crazy ppl see ufos". I didn't say everyone with a non-believer view was like that. I'm not an UFO-believer really either, not much. Maybe because I say stuff you dont like, you try to read my words as ill-mannered as possible? Or did you just misunderstand? And yeah, the post of mine you quoted and asked that, two posts before that of mine, there's talk about NSA's discreditor trolls. By saying discreditor trolls I ment people who act like that, not a... [More]
Comment icon #25 Posted by qxcontinuum on 6 March, 2014, 3:46
Since we are talking about trolls , i am wondering how do they feel about themselves and their work, creating dissemination and ambiguity in whatever topics they have interest. I hope they are proud of themselves and what would bring forward to their descendants assuming at least they have a real life other than the virtual one online.
Comment icon #26 Posted by ChrLzs on 6 March, 2014, 4:45
You can't honestly say that discreditor trolls wouldn't influence opinions. Sure, they could influence blithering idiots who don't know any better.. But if someone tries to present falsehoods, why can't they be easily defeated by those posting the truth along with appropriate evidence and observations? ...you cannot make me see it that way no matter how hard you'd try. And I'd like to think I have quite an open mind. Well, it's good to see that you are discerning. These trolls wouldn't fool you, so.. whenever they turn up, why don't you just post the hard logic and evidence to .. er.. discredi... [More]
Comment icon #27 Posted by Astra00 on 6 March, 2014, 4:47
Why would they (the government) fabricate stories about UFO's?.... surely they have better things to do, especially this day and age.
Comment icon #28 Posted by Mikko-kun on 6 March, 2014, 16:22
Well, it's good to see that you are discerning. These trolls wouldn't fool you, so.. whenever they turn up, why don't you just post the hard logic and evidence to .. er.. discredit their attempts to discredit, and thereby point them out as they appear? Problem solved. I dont pretend to be unmistaking in recognicing them. Because I can't see inside people's heads so thoroughly and utterly wholly. So is it that if there's no hard evidence, all other discussion is null and void and gives people right to insult others based on what they believe? I can understand the sentiment to feel that it's red... [More]

Tech giants team up to form AI ethics board
9-29-2016
Several major technology companies have joined forces in an effort to prevent an AI-fuelled apocalypse.
Catholic Church: 'exorcists in urgent demand'
9-29-2016
A rise in occult and superstitious practices has allegedly brought about a major exorcist shortage.
'Bigfoot' picked up on live eagle nest webcam
9-29-2016
A live feed from an eagle's nest in Michigan has recorded a mysterious figure wandering around below.
SpaceX plans to send humans to Mars by 2022
9-28-2016
Elon Musk has outlined his extraordinarily ambitious plans to make mankind an interplanetary species.
World's largest rock band
Posted 9-29-2016 | 3 comments
This Chinese rock band has 953 members including 349 singers and 154 guitarists.

Alaska's bubbling lakes
Posted 9-28-2016 | 1 comment
Many lakes in the boreal regions of Alaska are emitting copious amounts of methane gas.

Elephants unite
Posted 9-27-2016 | 0 comments
Two elephant families decide to join together on the plains of Africa in this BBC wildlife clip.

Why do we get pruney fingers in water ?
Posted 9-26-2016 | 2 comments
Why do your fingers turn in to prunes when you stay in the bath too long ?

Crushing shoes
Posted 9-25-2016 | 0 comments
What happens when you crush shoes in a high-powered hydraulic press ?

Black magic
9-27-2016 | Mineral Wells, Texas

Crying mother
9-27-2016 | Centrol Mexico

Red-faced monster
9-14-2016 | Lox Florida

Locked door
9-14-2016 | Ho Chi Minh city/Vietnam

The visit
9-9-2016 | West Palm Beach, Fl

Translucent silent UFO
9-9-2016 | Brisbane/Australia

Sleep paralysis and strange activity
9-1-2016 | Tarpon Springs, FL