Saturday, July 23, 2016

UFO misinformation in Snowden leaked files

Posted on Sunday, 2 March, 2014 | Comment icon 28 comments

Is the government fabricating stories about UFOs ? Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Gerhard Uhlhorn
Leaked slides appear to offer guidelines on how to create and spread false information on the Internet.
Part of a set of documents released by NSA whistle-blower Edward Snowden, the Powerpoint Presentation includes a series of 50 images including 3 that appear to show unidentified flying objects.

UFO enthusiasts examining the material have determined however that far from being evidence of extraterrestrial visitation the documents appear to be instead designed to teach spies how to spread misinformation. The images themselves seem to be of a questionable nature with one in particular being dismissed as an "out of focus picture of a seagull."

"Government agencies are still aware of the power of the belief in UFOs, and that they are willing to use the Internet to exploit these beliefs," said author Nigel Watson. "Such deception can be used as a means of covering-up more mundane terrestrial activities (like the testing of secret aircraft or military exercises) or to undermine the credibility of ufologists."

Source: Yahoo! News | Comments (28)

Tags: UFO, Misinformation

Comment icon #19 Posted by Dark_Grey on 4 March, 2014, 14:54
Comment icon #20 Posted by sinewave on 4 March, 2014, 16:48
The NSA already has paid internet "trolls" and a program to use troll-like tactics to discredit certain groups online. I have to find that leaked document; it's as hilarious as it is unnerving. I wouldn't put it past them to try and discredit UFO sightings as well - nothing they do really surprises me anymore. ET visitation believers are completely capable of discrediting themselves. No dark government plots required.
Comment icon #21 Posted by Mikko-kun on 5 March, 2014, 21:50
ET visitation believers are completely capable of discrediting themselves. No dark government plots required. You can't honestly say that discreditor trolls wouldn't influence opinions. Or well people can claim whatever they want as we've all seen, but lets just say that you cannot make me see it that way no matter how hard you'd try. And I'd like to think I have quite an open mind.
Comment icon #22 Posted by sinewave on 5 March, 2014, 22:15
You can't honestly say that discreditor trolls wouldn't influence opinions. Or well people can claim whatever they want as we've all seen, but lets just say that you cannot make me see it that way no matter how hard you'd try. And I'd like to think I have quite an open mind. So is that what you are going to call people who disagree with you?
Comment icon #23 Posted by Mikko-kun on 5 March, 2014, 23:24
So is that what you are going to call people who disagree with you? So that's how you read me, like the devil the bible? There's a difference between questioning UFO stuff and just plain discrediting remark like "crazy ppl see ufos". I didn't say everyone with a non-believer view was like that. I'm not an UFO-believer really either, not much. Maybe because I say stuff you dont like, you try to read my words as ill-mannered as possible? Or did you just misunderstand? And yeah, the post of mine you quoted and asked that, two posts before that of mine, there's talk about NSA's discreditor trolls.... [More]
Comment icon #24 Posted by sinewave on 6 March, 2014, 2:48
So that's how you read me, like the devil the bible? There's a difference between questioning UFO stuff and just plain discrediting remark like "crazy ppl see ufos". I didn't say everyone with a non-believer view was like that. I'm not an UFO-believer really either, not much. Maybe because I say stuff you dont like, you try to read my words as ill-mannered as possible? Or did you just misunderstand? And yeah, the post of mine you quoted and asked that, two posts before that of mine, there's talk about NSA's discreditor trolls. By saying discreditor trolls I ment people who act like that, not a... [More]
Comment icon #25 Posted by qxcontinuum on 6 March, 2014, 3:46
Since we are talking about trolls , i am wondering how do they feel about themselves and their work, creating dissemination and ambiguity in whatever topics they have interest. I hope they are proud of themselves and what would bring forward to their descendants assuming at least they have a real life other than the virtual one online.
Comment icon #26 Posted by ChrLzs on 6 March, 2014, 4:45
You can't honestly say that discreditor trolls wouldn't influence opinions. Sure, they could influence blithering idiots who don't know any better.. But if someone tries to present falsehoods, why can't they be easily defeated by those posting the truth along with appropriate evidence and observations? ...you cannot make me see it that way no matter how hard you'd try. And I'd like to think I have quite an open mind. Well, it's good to see that you are discerning. These trolls wouldn't fool you, so.. whenever they turn up, why don't you just post the hard logic and evidence to .. er.. discredi... [More]
Comment icon #27 Posted by Astra00 on 6 March, 2014, 4:47
Why would they (the government) fabricate stories about UFO's?.... surely they have better things to do, especially this day and age.
Comment icon #28 Posted by Mikko-kun on 6 March, 2014, 16:22
Well, it's good to see that you are discerning. These trolls wouldn't fool you, so.. whenever they turn up, why don't you just post the hard logic and evidence to .. er.. discredit their attempts to discredit, and thereby point them out as they appear? Problem solved. I dont pretend to be unmistaking in recognicing them. Because I can't see inside people's heads so thoroughly and utterly wholly. So is it that if there's no hard evidence, all other discussion is null and void and gives people right to insult others based on what they believe? I can understand the sentiment to feel that it's red... [More]

Da Vinci's scribbles reveal hidden knowledge
7-23-2016
Sketches demonstrating the laws of friction have been identified within the margins of Da Vinci's notes.
Mystery substance floods Tokyo underground
7-23-2016
A peculiar, foul smelling black liquid has been filmed pouring out in to an underground walkway in Japan.
What made the Man in the Moon's right eye ?
7-23-2016
Researchers in the US have been able to determine the origins of one of the moon's largest craters.
Ground in Siberia is starting to go bouncy
7-22-2016
The unseasonably warmer weather appears to be having an adverse effect on the Siberian permafrost.
Trans-Atlantic solar powered flight
Posted 7-23-2016 | 0 comments
A look at Solar Impulse 2, the aircraft that crossed the Atlantic using the power of the sun.

The Earth from space
Posted 7-22-2016 | 0 comments
A view of our home planet as seen through the EPIC camera on the NOAA's DSCOVR satellite

How are Oreos made ?
Posted 7-21-2016 | 2 comments
A look at the manufacturing processes involved in the creation of Oreo cookies.

Extreme landscapes: Death Valley
Posted 7-20-2016 | 0 comments
A look at Death Valley where, in 1934, temperatures soared to 134 degrees fahrenheit.

Can sound kill you ?
Posted 7-19-2016 | 4 comments
Is it possible for a particularly loud noise to actually kill you ?

Light in Orion
7-23-2016 | Tampa, Florida

Girl with the broken neck
7-23-2016 | Mississippi

Holes in cotton clothing
7-23-2016 | Somerset, UK

Three knocks in the night
6-28-2016 | Cedar City, Utah