Friday, November 24, 2017

UFO misinformation in Snowden leaked files

Posted on Sunday, 2 March, 2014 | Comment icon 28 comments

Is the government fabricating stories about UFOs ? Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Gerhard Uhlhorn
Leaked slides appear to offer guidelines on how to create and spread false information on the Internet.
Part of a set of documents released by NSA whistle-blower Edward Snowden, the Powerpoint Presentation includes a series of 50 images including 3 that appear to show unidentified flying objects.

UFO enthusiasts examining the material have determined however that far from being evidence of extraterrestrial visitation the documents appear to be instead designed to teach spies how to spread misinformation. The images themselves seem to be of a questionable nature with one in particular being dismissed as an "out of focus picture of a seagull."

"Government agencies are still aware of the power of the belief in UFOs, and that they are willing to use the Internet to exploit these beliefs," said author Nigel Watson. "Such deception can be used as a means of covering-up more mundane terrestrial activities (like the testing of secret aircraft or military exercises) or to undermine the credibility of ufologists."

Source: Yahoo! News | Comments (28)

Tags: UFO, Misinformation

Comment icon #19 Posted by Dark_Grey on 4 March, 2014, 14:54
Comment icon #20 Posted by sinewave on 4 March, 2014, 16:48
The NSA already has paid internet "trolls" and a program to use troll-like tactics to discredit certain groups online. I have to find that leaked document; it's as hilarious as it is unnerving. I wouldn't put it past them to try and discredit UFO sightings as well - nothing they do really surprises me anymore. ET visitation believers are completely capable of discrediting themselves. No dark government plots required.
Comment icon #21 Posted by Mikko-kun on 5 March, 2014, 21:50
ET visitation believers are completely capable of discrediting themselves. No dark government plots required. You can't honestly say that discreditor trolls wouldn't influence opinions. Or well people can claim whatever they want as we've all seen, but lets just say that you cannot make me see it that way no matter how hard you'd try. And I'd like to think I have quite an open mind.
Comment icon #22 Posted by sinewave on 5 March, 2014, 22:15
You can't honestly say that discreditor trolls wouldn't influence opinions. Or well people can claim whatever they want as we've all seen, but lets just say that you cannot make me see it that way no matter how hard you'd try. And I'd like to think I have quite an open mind. So is that what you are going to call people who disagree with you?
Comment icon #23 Posted by Mikko-kun on 5 March, 2014, 23:24
So is that what you are going to call people who disagree with you? So that's how you read me, like the devil the bible? There's a difference between questioning UFO stuff and just plain discrediting remark like "crazy ppl see ufos". I didn't say everyone with a non-believer view was like that. I'm not an UFO-believer really either, not much. Maybe because I say stuff you dont like, you try to read my words as ill-mannered as possible? Or did you just misunderstand? And yeah, the post of mine you quoted and asked that, two posts before that of mine, there's talk about NSA's discreditor trolls.... [More]
Comment icon #24 Posted by sinewave on 6 March, 2014, 2:48
So that's how you read me, like the devil the bible? There's a difference between questioning UFO stuff and just plain discrediting remark like "crazy ppl see ufos". I didn't say everyone with a non-believer view was like that. I'm not an UFO-believer really either, not much. Maybe because I say stuff you dont like, you try to read my words as ill-mannered as possible? Or did you just misunderstand? And yeah, the post of mine you quoted and asked that, two posts before that of mine, there's talk about NSA's discreditor trolls. By saying discreditor trolls I ment people who act like that, not a... [More]
Comment icon #25 Posted by qxcontinuum on 6 March, 2014, 3:46
Since we are talking about trolls , i am wondering how do they feel about themselves and their work, creating dissemination and ambiguity in whatever topics they have interest. I hope they are proud of themselves and what would bring forward to their descendants assuming at least they have a real life other than the virtual one online.
Comment icon #26 Posted by ChrLzs on 6 March, 2014, 4:45
You can't honestly say that discreditor trolls wouldn't influence opinions. Sure, they could influence blithering idiots who don't know any better.. But if someone tries to present falsehoods, why can't they be easily defeated by those posting the truth along with appropriate evidence and observations? ...you cannot make me see it that way no matter how hard you'd try. And I'd like to think I have quite an open mind. Well, it's good to see that you are discerning. These trolls wouldn't fool you, so.. whenever they turn up, why don't you just post the hard logic and evidence to .. er.. discredi... [More]
Comment icon #27 Posted by Astra00 on 6 March, 2014, 4:47
Why would they (the government) fabricate stories about UFO's?.... surely they have better things to do, especially this day and age.
Comment icon #28 Posted by Mikko-kun on 6 March, 2014, 16:22
Well, it's good to see that you are discerning. These trolls wouldn't fool you, so.. whenever they turn up, why don't you just post the hard logic and evidence to .. er.. discredit their attempts to discredit, and thereby point them out as they appear? Problem solved. I dont pretend to be unmistaking in recognicing them. Because I can't see inside people's heads so thoroughly and utterly wholly. So is it that if there's no hard evidence, all other discussion is null and void and gives people right to insult others based on what they believe? I can understand the sentiment to feel that it's red... [More]

Mysterious loud booms heard across the world
11-24-2017
The deafening sounds, which have been heard in dozens of locations this year, remain unexplained.
Dolly the sheep had no health abnormalities
11-23-2017
A new study has indicated that the famous cloned sheep had not suffered from any abnormal health issues.
Mars liquid water discovery cast in to doubt
11-23-2017
Dark streaks on the Martian surface thought to be evidence of water may actually be little more than sand.
NASA reveals Cassini 'farewell Saturn' image
11-22-2017
A breathtaking mosaic of the iconic ringed gas giant has been put together by the Cassini mission team.
The rainbow turkey
Posted 11-23-2017 | 1 comment
This turkey has gorgeous iridescent feathers but you won't be eating it for Thanksgiving.

What do we know of the giant squid ?
Posted 11-20-2017 | 1 comment
The giant squid is so elusive that it took until 2004 for someone to photograph a live specimen.

Slow motion katana slice
Posted 11-18-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt to slice through a row of water bottles using a katana sword.

What happened to the Library of Alexandria ?
Posted 11-17-2017 | 5 comments
What really happened to the vast wealth of knowledge stored in the ancient library ?

World's largest sticker ball
Posted 11-14-2017 | 1 comment
This enormous ball of stickers contains somewhere in the region of 200,000 stickers.

Strange occurrences
11-15-2017 | Fife

Mysterious music box song
11-15-2017 | U.S.A

Haunted military house
10-23-2017 | New Zealand

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom

Ghost playing with a balloon?
10-18-2017 | Australia