Friday, December 15, 2017

Crowds flock to see glowing statue in Belgium

Posted on Sunday, 16 March, 2014 | Comment icon 34 comments

Miracles have been associated with statues of the Virgin Mary for years. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 gnuckx
A luminescent statue of the Virgin Mary has been attracting huge crowds of people on a daily basis.
The normally quiet town of Jalhay became a sudden tourist destination after the otherwise unremarkable statue started to glow back in January. As word got around people started to turn up in their droves, prompting the owners, a retired couple, to set up a special pavilion so that visitors could get the chance to see it for themselves.

The attraction gained so much attention in fact that local police were forced to post guards outside the building when more than 500 people turned up to see the statue in the space of a single day.

"It's certain that something is going on but I can't tell you whether there is a natural or a miraculous explanation," said Father Leo Palm.

Source: The Mirror | Comments (34)

Tags: Virgin Mary, Statue

Comment icon #25 Posted by and then on 17 March, 2014, 22:27
i believe Our Lady is Powerful. Shes Jesus Mother. I love connecting with her. She is so loving and ALWAYS answers my prayer.. I can connect to her spirit through statues. Statues help to open my heart more. Nothing to do with Icons.. idiots.. think we go around worshiping statues..!! I'm sorry if I offended you scrunchkruckets. But I have to ask - IF you saw something like one of these apparitions and it spoke to you and told you that you must do something, what would you do? And how do you define "worship"? I realize that you don't bow before the statue and make offerings to it and so forth ... [More]
Comment icon #26 Posted by Imaginarynumber1 on 18 March, 2014, 8:34
And the lord said, let there be glowing statutes of my mother (Jesus; 13, 3)
Comment icon #27 Posted by AZDZ on 18 March, 2014, 16:47
I'm sorry if I offended you scrunchkruckets. But I have to ask - IF you saw something like one of these apparitions and it spoke to you and told you that you must do something, what would you do? And how do you define "worship"? I realize that you don't bow before the statue and make offerings to it and so forth but if "she" appeared like this story tells and the thing actually spoke? Just Curious, how would you respond if it were you the object was speaking to?
Comment icon #28 Posted by HollyDolly on 18 March, 2014, 21:04
Don't know where or when they bought the statutebut you can buy them that are luminecent.You can even buy crucifixes with the body of Christ on it that glow.Neither which are new. Suspicious that they won't let the statue by examined by scientists. After all;the Catholic church has let the Shroud of Turin be examined as well as a miraculous host in Italy.You can look up eucharistic miracles for that one. In Belgium there are two modern shrines to Mary.One is Our Day of Banneux and Our Lady of Beauring.The Blessed Mother appeared in both places to witnesses. This of course does not include any ... [More]
Comment icon #29 Posted by Scrunchkruckets on 19 March, 2014, 20:37
I'm sorry if I offended you scrunchkruckets. But I have to ask - IF you saw something like one of these apparitions and it spoke to you and told you that you must do something, what would you do? And how do you define "worship"? I realize that you don't bow before the statue and make offerings to it and so forth but if "she" appeared like this story tells and the thing actually spoke? hey no worries. i dunno wat i wud do..but i dont believe that wud happen to me. i dont have any special mission only washing dishes lol. wat wud u do?
Comment icon #30 Posted by Vincennes on 21 March, 2014, 14:04
These tendency of Christians to revert to paganism and the worship of idols really bothers me. I realize statues and such are meant to lift our thoughts up but it does go beyond and becomes the actual worship of those statues. I wonder how much money they are still bringing in at Medjugorje. That has been a classic hoax example of our time. I have a cousin who actually flew three times from the states to visit there. What was scary was the look of ecstasy on her face when she would talk about the fact that one of the visionaries' children also ad the ability to "see" the Virgin Mother and woul... [More]
Comment icon #31 Posted by thedutchiedutch on 25 March, 2014, 21:49
Hundreds have been flocking to a house in southern Belgium to catch a glimpse of a small statue of the Virgin Mary that reportedly glows in the dark. Local media reported that 500 people visited the house in the quiet town of Jalhay on Wednesday to witness what is being referred to as "the mysterious glowing Virgin". http://www.smh.com.a...0314-hvii6.html Just learned that experts solved the mystery It ends up to be paint that makes the statue glow. I tried to find a English source that confirmed this news but I couldn't find anything yet so my link is in Dutch : http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1014/Bi... [More]
Comment icon #32 Posted by DieChecker on 25 March, 2014, 22:45
Just learned that experts solved the mystery It ends up to be paint that makes the statue glow. I tried to find a English source that confirmed this news but I couldn't find anything yet so my link is in Dutch : http://www.ad.nl/ad/...iabeeldje.dhtml Zinc Sulfide paint? Mystery solved, I guess? Zinc sulfide, with addition of few ppm of suitable activator, is used as phosphor in many applications, from cathode ray tubes through X-ray screens to glow in the dark products. When silver is used as activator, the resulting color is bright blue, with maximum at 450 nanometers. Using manganese yields ... [More]
Comment icon #33 Posted by Rafterman on 27 March, 2014, 15:45
Just learned that experts solved the mystery It ends up to be paint that makes the statue glow. I tried to find a English source that confirmed this news but I couldn't find anything yet so my link is in Dutch : http://www.ad.nl/ad/...iabeeldje.dhtml But here's the completely bizarre aspect of it - at least according to the Daily Mail: The glowing Madonna will now be moved to a local church so pilgrims can continue to see it. Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2590014/We-seen-light-Mystery-glowing-Virgin-Mary-statue-visited-hundreds-Belgium-solved-scientists-discover-covered-lu... [More]
Comment icon #34 Posted by cindybee53 on 24 December, 2014, 14:33
I know exactly what I would do if it were me...I would immediately blame it on all the acid I did in the sixties! That's a no-brainer anyway.

NASA finds entire solar system like our own
12-14-2017
The space agency has made an important new exoplanet discovery using a Google artificial intelligence.
Greenland shark thought to be 512 years old
12-14-2017
Marine biologists have identified what could potentially be the world's oldest living vertebrate.
'Mannequin Skywalker' launch is successful
12-13-2017
Private space firm Blue Origin has completed a successful test launch of its rocket and crew capsule.
'Mystery creature' filmed by Sydney family
12-13-2017
65-year-old Fethi Ada and his family had been out fishing when they encountered something rather unusual.
Einstein's brain
Posted 12-13-2017 | 0 comments
After he died, legendary physicist Albert Einstein's brain was preserved for study.

Is happiness contagious ?
Posted 12-12-2017 | 0 comments
Is it possible to become happy by hanging out with other people who are happy ?

Megalodon - the largest shark in history
Posted 12-11-2017 | 0 comments
A look at Megalodon - a truly monstrous creature that once roamed Eath's oceans.

Pizza night - in space
Posted 12-8-2017 | 0 comments
ISS astronauts try their hand at putting together pizzas high up in orbit around the Earth.

Pelican invasion
Posted 12-7-2017 | 0 comments
This curious pelican decided to invade the director's tent during a BBC film shoot.

Mysterious Headlights
12-10-2017 | Morgan County, Alabama

Possibly a child ghost
12-10-2017 | Edgewater, Maryland

True story about black-eyed kids
12-10-2017 | Portland oregon

Alien or paranormal encounter ?
12-10-2017 | United States

Ouija board experience
12-10-2017 | Ohio

Strange occurrences
11-15-2017 | Fife

Mysterious music box song
11-15-2017 | U.S.A

Haunted military house
10-23-2017 | New Zealand

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom