Friday, July 28, 2017

Putin refers to Internet as a 'CIA project'

Posted on Saturday, 26 April, 2014 | Comment icon 91 comments

Could Russia be about to set up its own Internet ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 kremlin.ru
The Russian leader has criticized the nature of the Internet, fueling fears of a possible web breakup.
Putin's remarks echo those of several other countries including Germany and Brazil who have expressed concerns over the revelations of whistleblower Edward Snowden regarding the extent to which the NSA had been infiltrating and monitoring high profile web services.

Now fears have been raised that these revelations could lead to a breakup of the web with countries opting to set up their own state-run networks. At a recent conference in St Petersburg Putin maintained that while Russia does have services in operation to monitor criminals online it does not engage in mass surveillance. "We don't have as much money as they do in the US," he said.

Critics argue that Snowden, who leaked thousands of documents detailing the US government's surveillance programs, may have inadvertently put in motion a series of events that could eventually put an end to the free, global Internet that we know and enjoy today.

Source: The Guardian | Comments (91)

Tags: Internet, Putin, Russia

Comment icon #82 Posted by Detective Mystery 2014 on 31 May, 2014, 9:07
I think it's creepy . Snowden looked and listened in on people . What is he, a double agent ? I referred to GCHQ, not Snowden. They spied on innocent citizens through their personal device's cameras. They watched their most embarrassing and/or most private moments. They sound like voyeurs to me.
Comment icon #83 Posted by Detective Mystery 2014 on 31 May, 2014, 9:20
what is he [Alex Jones] really ? He's really the king of modern conspiracy theorists. He's really a person who spins and twists real events to bolster and confirm his own theories. I don't doubt the events that he mentions. I doubt some of his interpretations of them.
Comment icon #84 Posted by SaraT on 3 June, 2014, 21:34
If Vlad feels this way, then he needs to ban his female citizens from being mail order brides on the Internet. You know, the young Russian models who are passionately interested in falling in love with 80 year old American and British men.
Comment icon #85 Posted by SaraT on 3 June, 2014, 21:38
So what are men going to do to get their Russian mail order brides? LOL. I see you've expressed the same thought as me, Jul. You should worry.
Comment icon #86 Posted by Reann on 4 June, 2014, 12:59
I referred to GCHQ, not Snowden. They spied on innocent citizens through their personal device's cameras. They watched their most embarrassing and/or most private moments. They sound like voyeurs to me. I know , I read what you wrote. Only thing though, Snowden did admit to having done the same thing too.
Comment icon #87 Posted by Reann on 4 June, 2014, 13:29
He's really the king of modern conspiracy theorists. He's really a person who spins and twists real events to bolster and confirm his own theories. I don't doubt the events that he mentions. I doubt some of his interpretations of them. No. No way, not after seeing that video. Dubbing him such as conspirator doesn't fit anymore. I would may have chosen the word provocateur . Person hired to make trouble. His actions and behavior towards those peaceful people were insulting , nasty , perverted , and rude. That footage of him doing what he was doing made him out to be a liar.. He's an obvious pro... [More]
Comment icon #88 Posted by Detective Mystery 2014 on 5 June, 2014, 2:06
I know , I read what you wrote. Only thing though, Snowden did admit to having done the same thing too. The NSA did to. It happened in the past. Two agents mocked a private phone call between a man and a woman when their relationship ended. One of the couple was in a foreign country, so they eavesdropped with impunity.
Comment icon #89 Posted by Detective Mystery 2014 on 5 June, 2014, 2:18
No. No way, not after seeing that video. Dubbing him such as conspirator doesn't fit anymore. I would may have chosen the word provocateur . Person hired to make trouble. His actions and behavior towards those peaceful people were insulting , nasty , perverted , and rude. That footage of him doing what he was doing made him out to be a liar.. He's an obvious provocateur . Does any of his followers wonder why was he doing that ? that is , if he was what he says he is, a conspirator? A conspirator would most likely be in agreement with those people at that rally ,that day, you know, the peaceful... [More]
Comment icon #90 Posted by bendigger0 on 10 June, 2014, 18:08
The man of the hour: Excellent to hear Ed Snowden's own words... all citizens should be grateful to this man for exposing the Police State.
Comment icon #91 Posted by Babe Ruth on 10 June, 2014, 19:41
Snowden, Drake, Kiriakou and other brave folks willing to take some personal heat so that their fellow countrymen might become informed of just how criminal their government is.

California residents report 'Chupacabra'
7-27-2017
Alleged sightings of the cryptozoological creature have sparked concerns over the safety of local pets.
Our atoms came from far across the universe
7-27-2017
A new study has revealed that half of the atoms that make up our bodies have come from beyond the galaxy.
Private firm set to land on the Moon in 2019
7-27-2017
Astrobotic is aiming to land its unmanned Peregrine lunar lander on the surface of the Moon in two years' time.
3,500-year-old lunch box found in Swiss Alps
7-26-2017
An extraordinarily well-preserved lunch box has been discovered on Switzerland's Lotschberg mountain.
Octopus goes for a walk
Posted 7-27-2017 | 4 comments
As this video shows, not all octopus' limit their exploration to the bottom of the sea.

Augmented reality
Posted 7-26-2017 | 1 comment
A look at a new technology that superimposes computer-generated images over the real world.

Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

Stretchy batteries
Posted 7-23-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists have come up with a way to make batteries and their cases stretchy.

Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 1 comment

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI