Thursday, September 21, 2017

Putin refers to Internet as a 'CIA project'

Posted on Saturday, 26 April, 2014 | Comment icon 91 comments

Could Russia be about to set up its own Internet ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 kremlin.ru
The Russian leader has criticized the nature of the Internet, fueling fears of a possible web breakup.
Putin's remarks echo those of several other countries including Germany and Brazil who have expressed concerns over the revelations of whistleblower Edward Snowden regarding the extent to which the NSA had been infiltrating and monitoring high profile web services.

Now fears have been raised that these revelations could lead to a breakup of the web with countries opting to set up their own state-run networks. At a recent conference in St Petersburg Putin maintained that while Russia does have services in operation to monitor criminals online it does not engage in mass surveillance. "We don't have as much money as they do in the US," he said.

Critics argue that Snowden, who leaked thousands of documents detailing the US government's surveillance programs, may have inadvertently put in motion a series of events that could eventually put an end to the free, global Internet that we know and enjoy today.

Source: The Guardian | Comments (91)

Tags: Internet, Putin, Russia

Comment icon #82 Posted by Detective Mystery 2014 on 31 May, 2014, 9:07
I think it's creepy . Snowden looked and listened in on people . What is he, a double agent ? I referred to GCHQ, not Snowden. They spied on innocent citizens through their personal device's cameras. They watched their most embarrassing and/or most private moments. They sound like voyeurs to me.
Comment icon #83 Posted by Detective Mystery 2014 on 31 May, 2014, 9:20
what is he [Alex Jones] really ? He's really the king of modern conspiracy theorists. He's really a person who spins and twists real events to bolster and confirm his own theories. I don't doubt the events that he mentions. I doubt some of his interpretations of them.
Comment icon #84 Posted by SaraT on 3 June, 2014, 21:34
If Vlad feels this way, then he needs to ban his female citizens from being mail order brides on the Internet. You know, the young Russian models who are passionately interested in falling in love with 80 year old American and British men.
Comment icon #85 Posted by SaraT on 3 June, 2014, 21:38
So what are men going to do to get their Russian mail order brides? LOL. I see you've expressed the same thought as me, Jul. You should worry.
Comment icon #86 Posted by Reann on 4 June, 2014, 12:59
I referred to GCHQ, not Snowden. They spied on innocent citizens through their personal device's cameras. They watched their most embarrassing and/or most private moments. They sound like voyeurs to me. I know , I read what you wrote. Only thing though, Snowden did admit to having done the same thing too.
Comment icon #87 Posted by Reann on 4 June, 2014, 13:29
He's really the king of modern conspiracy theorists. He's really a person who spins and twists real events to bolster and confirm his own theories. I don't doubt the events that he mentions. I doubt some of his interpretations of them. No. No way, not after seeing that video. Dubbing him such as conspirator doesn't fit anymore. I would may have chosen the word provocateur . Person hired to make trouble. His actions and behavior towards those peaceful people were insulting , nasty , perverted , and rude. That footage of him doing what he was doing made him out to be a liar.. He's an obvious pro... [More]
Comment icon #88 Posted by Detective Mystery 2014 on 5 June, 2014, 2:06
I know , I read what you wrote. Only thing though, Snowden did admit to having done the same thing too. The NSA did to. It happened in the past. Two agents mocked a private phone call between a man and a woman when their relationship ended. One of the couple was in a foreign country, so they eavesdropped with impunity.
Comment icon #89 Posted by Detective Mystery 2014 on 5 June, 2014, 2:18
No. No way, not after seeing that video. Dubbing him such as conspirator doesn't fit anymore. I would may have chosen the word provocateur . Person hired to make trouble. His actions and behavior towards those peaceful people were insulting , nasty , perverted , and rude. That footage of him doing what he was doing made him out to be a liar.. He's an obvious provocateur . Does any of his followers wonder why was he doing that ? that is , if he was what he says he is, a conspirator? A conspirator would most likely be in agreement with those people at that rally ,that day, you know, the peaceful... [More]
Comment icon #90 Posted by bendigger0 on 10 June, 2014, 18:08
The man of the hour: Excellent to hear Ed Snowden's own words... all citizens should be grateful to this man for exposing the Police State.
Comment icon #91 Posted by Babe Ruth on 10 June, 2014, 19:41
Snowden, Drake, Kiriakou and other brave folks willing to take some personal heat so that their fellow countrymen might become informed of just how criminal their government is.

550 million-year-old creature mystery solved
9-20-2017
Scientists believe that they have finally worked out what type of creature 'Dickinsonia' actually was.
Porpoise unearthed in medieval graveyard
9-20-2017
A recent archaeological dig near Guernsey has yielded something rather unexpected - a porpoise skeleton.
Mystery surrounds flushed money in Geneva
9-19-2017
An unknown individual has been flushing thousands of euros down the toilet and nobody knows why.
'Octopus city' found off coast of Australia
9-19-2017
Members of the gloomy octopus species have created their own underwater settlement dubbed 'Octlantis'.
Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

I'll eat my hat
Posted 9-18-2017 | 0 comments
Where did the strange phrase 'I'll eat my hat' actually come from ?

Meet the microscopic life in your home
Posted 9-17-2017 | 0 comments
Think your home is free of meddlesome microscopic life forms ? Think again.

Are rats friends or foes ?
Posted 9-16-2017 | 3 comments
Rats are certainly not humanity's favorite animals, but just how bad are they really ?

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY