Saturday, September 23, 2017

British pub demands return of stolen ghost

Posted on Thursday, 8 September, 2016 | Comment icon 16 comments

The pub has a long history of paranormal activity. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 David Dixon
The owners of a historic pub in England have written to a Chinese artist who allegedly stole their ghost.
The bizarre dispute centers around Ye Olde Man & Scythe, a drinking establishment in Bolton, England which is said to be haunted by the ghost of James Stanley, the seventh earl of Derby, who was believed to have died after being beheaded just outside the building in 1651.

Reports of paranormal occurrences at the property had been going on for years, but now things seem to have gone rather quiet and the pub's owners are pinning the blame on Lu Pingyuan - a Chinese artist who maintains that he has actually caught the ghost and taken it with him.

Lu, who claims that the ghost agreed to be captured so that it could be featured in an exhibition, writes on his site that he took the spirit as "a symbolic act in reaction to the UK’s colonialist past."

Now the pub's owner Richard Greenwood has written to the artist to ask for the ghost's return.

"I feel very strongly that James Stanley’s ghost should remain in Bolton and at Ye Olde Man and Scythe to preserve the natural order of things," he wrote.

Alleged footage of the troublesome spirit, which was filmed back in 2014, can be viewed below.

Source: Huffington Post | Comments (16)

Tags: Ghost, Pub

Comment icon #7 Posted by Derek Willis on 8 September, 2016, 22:51
Britons! What do you mean by that? Many years ago, one of my most memorable (!) nights was spent in an allegedly haunted inn in the Altstadt of Heidelberg. After an evening drinking under the counter schnapps, for some reason that I cannot recall, I ended up back at my hotel painted bright blue and wearing only my boxer shorts and one shoe!
Comment icon #8 Posted by freetoroam on 8 September, 2016, 23:02
Apart from drinking spirits, did you see any......which did not come out of a bottle?
Comment icon #9 Posted by Codenwarra on 9 September, 2016, 2:14
Would a ghost get bored after 360 years of the same old place and one boozed up peasant after another?
Comment icon #10 Posted by Jello on 9 September, 2016, 4:24
Maybe the ghost thought it was time that his boozy days were over. I bet ghosts have AA meetings on the astral plane
Comment icon #11 Posted by highdesert50 on 9 September, 2016, 7:02
When a ghost finally passes on due to age, does it return to haunt the spirit world?
Comment icon #12 Posted by toast on 9 September, 2016, 7:17
Germans!!
Comment icon #13 Posted by Derek Willis on 9 September, 2016, 8:53
Unfortunately, no - at least I don't think so. I was in Heidelberg to meet someone at the university to discuss a research project. As I vaguely recall - and this was nearly thirty years ago - after dinner I had a look around the Old Town and in a bar got into a conversation with some students. They told me about the "geist" room of one of the inns, near the Old Bridge, where apparitions were said to appear after midnight. So we went there to join one of the regular vigils. However, during the evening I got into a drinking competition with one of the students, and I can't remember much after t... [More]
Comment icon #14 Posted by Black Monk on 9 September, 2016, 13:00
My hometown! I've been to the Olde Man and Scythe many times. It's one of the ten oldest pubs in Britain, dating back to 1251, and has a plethora of ghosts. One of its resident spooks is that of James Stanley, 7th Earl of Derby (ancestor of the 16th Earl of Derby, the governor of Canada who invented the Stanley Cup), who was beheaded outside the pub in 1651 for his part in the Bolton Massacre during the English Civil War. He has his last meal in the pub, and the chair he sat on during it, and the axe used to behead him, are both displayed in a glass cabinet in the pub. A large monument with a ... [More]
Comment icon #15 Posted by Black Monk on 10 September, 2016, 10:34
The axe used to behead the 7th Earl of Derby in 1651 and the chair he sat on whilst eating a meal in the pub the night before his execution are both displayed in the pub.   The history of Ye Olde Man and Scythe:     Ghost is seen through window on video:
Comment icon #16 Posted by UFOwatcher on 14 September, 2016, 19:26
My 'red flag' always goes up when I hear Ghost, restaurant, Pub, or Inn together. I've seen a few debunking of ghosts in bars that were actually tricks by the owners. Ghost = money.

100 people could live on the Moon by 2040
9-22-2017
ESA's ambitious 'Moon village' plan could see humans living on the lunar surface within 25 years.
Man who prevented World War 3 dies aged 77
9-22-2017
Former Soviet military officer Stanislav Petrov made a decision in 1983 that may have saved the world.
Doomsayers claim the world will end tomorrow
9-22-2017
Rumors of another apocalyptic collision with the mythical planet Nibiru have been circulating the Internet.
Plants may need to sleep, just like we do
9-21-2017
A new study has suggested that sleep may actually be fundamental to all life, not just to animals.
Exploring Antarctica's hidden depths
Posted 9-22-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists investigate some of the wildlife hidden beneath the Antarctic ice.

Science-fiction spacesuits
Posted 9-21-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage investigates a number of intricately detailed spacesuits used in movies.

Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

I'll eat my hat
Posted 9-18-2017 | 0 comments
Where did the strange phrase 'I'll eat my hat' actually come from ?

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY