Saturday, September 23, 2017

Japan's 'burning pavement' mystery solved

Posted on Sunday, 23 April, 2017 | Comment icon 11 comments

Too much lime in the pavement can be quite hazardous. Image Credit: US Navy / Edward Miller
Authorities in Japan have determined how a stretch of city pavement has been burning people's feet.
The peculiar problem began back at the beginning of the month when joggers frequenting a stretch of pavement along the Tama River in Kawasaki's Nakahara Ward reported feeling pain and burning in their feet that became enough of a problem that they needed to seek medical attention.

Now according to Takanori Maeda, vice manager of the land ministry's Keihin Kasen Office, the injuries were most likely caused by an overabundance of lime in the pavement.

The workmen responsible for recent repair work seemingly added too much lime to the mixture, meaning that when it rained the alkaline substance seeped out and collected in puddles.

When the joggers ran along the pavement the lime ended up being absorbed by their shoes.

"It's the first time for such a thing to happen," said Maeda. "I've never heard of a similar case."

Source: Japan Times | Comments (11)

Tags: Japan, Pavement

Comment icon #2 Posted by freetoroam on 23 April, 2017, 19:08
It turned out that their symptoms were the result of chemical burns - something that should have only been possible if they had come in to contact with strong chemicals. - See more at: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/306841/japans-burning-pavement-mystery-solved#sthash.dPwjfNtq.dpuf   If this had happened on Eastleigh, they would have brushed it off as JUST chemicals....sorry, Manfred got me on this and I just can not belieeeeeve the brazenness. It was discovered that it was just a couple of chemicals in the drains had mixed, producing a gas.” http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/15240028... [More]
Comment icon #3 Posted by Farmer77 on 23 April, 2017, 19:25
The quote said joggers not cyclists !!!!
Comment icon #4 Posted by Twin on 24 April, 2017, 2:18
So..... they got lime disease?
Comment icon #5 Posted by Eldorado on 24 April, 2017, 11:38
And had to hotfoot-it to the doctors.
Comment icon #6 Posted by paperdyer on 24 April, 2017, 15:31
Good puns.  Lime is pretty insoluble, but highly alkaline.  I don't see  how their shoes absorbed the lime without leaving whitish spots on the soles.  If they were jogging barefoot, I can see the lime causing issues.
Comment icon #7 Posted by oldrover on 24 April, 2017, 21:03
You have them over there too then?
Comment icon #8 Posted by Farmer77 on 24 April, 2017, 21:06
Maddening jerks in spandex yelling "same road same rules" at motorists while following none of said damn rules themselves? Yeah we got em LOL
Comment icon #9 Posted by oldrover on 24 April, 2017, 21:09
Oooooh god, I thought it was just here. I lost it completely with a group of them a couple of years ago, as in jumping out of the car and demanding they get off and discuss what they'd just called me. They decided they didn't, I still bask in that moment.
Comment icon #10 Posted by I hide behind words on 25 April, 2017, 4:19
I would never run or cycle in way of heavy traffic. Cycle downtown where sidewalks are for pedeatrians unless roads are busy busy then safety first. I run on edge of road only on stretches with hard terrain and ditches and dips and poles all in one sections, I would not risk a brokem ankle, even if edge of road is the edge. And cars must push to side a bit. But cars first even in parking lots as i lose not them if we collide. Cannot abide by parking lot walkers who make me wait when backing out or to comtinue anywhere outside of crosswalk or store/business front.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Codenwarra on 29 April, 2017, 9:28
To me as a chemist, this "explanation" seems to be mistaken.  Lime would extract from the pavement as calcium hydroxide Ca(OH)2 which is alkaline enough.  But on contact with air it absorbs carbon dioxide forming CaCO3 which is chemically the same as ordinary limestone or marble.  I await correction on this.

Saudi Arabian textbook shows Yoda at the UN
9-23-2017
A doctored image of Yoda at the United Nations has somehow ended up in a history textbook.
Juno captures stunning new images of Jupiter
9-23-2017
NASA's Juno probe has sent back four breathtaking new images of the gas giant's swirling atmosphere.
100 people could live on the Moon by 2040
9-22-2017
ESA's ambitious 'Moon village' plan could see humans living on the lunar surface within 25 years.
Man who prevented World War 3 dies aged 77
9-22-2017
Former Soviet military officer Stanislav Petrov made a decision in 1983 that may have saved the world.
Exploring Antarctica's hidden depths
Posted 9-22-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists investigate some of the wildlife hidden beneath the Antarctic ice.

Science-fiction spacesuits
Posted 9-21-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage investigates a number of intricately detailed spacesuits used in movies.

Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

I'll eat my hat
Posted 9-18-2017 | 0 comments
Where did the strange phrase 'I'll eat my hat' actually come from ?

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY