Thursday, November 23, 2017
Have you ever lived in a haunted house, spotted a UFO, captured something unusual on camera or otherwise had a brush with the mysterious ? If so then we want to hear from you - please send us your story and we will feature it in our new Stories & Experiences section.

Ghost playing with a balloon?

Posted on 10-18-2017 | Comment icon 23 comments

By: Alty | Location: Australia

Hey! So today was my daughter's birthday and we had about 4 helium balloons left.

All of them but 1 deflated and had sunk to the ground. The one that was left was annoying by moving around so I put it in the bedroom and kind of shut the door leaving it cracked a little.

About 4 minutes later the balloon had managed to get out of the room do a lap of the house and come back to the lounge (it went the total opposite way to me and there are no drafts in the house) and stopped directly in front of me then hovered above the table then to the fish tank.

The balloon dropped to eye height at the tank then went back up to the roof and went into the hallway back near the room it came from. My partner went to the balloon and put his hand over it and the balloon did a big clockwise circle the quickly pulled away from him.

We then left it and sat back down and the balloon made its way back to the lounge room and sat at eye height with me then started touching me. I cut the string and it's now sitting in the same spot and hasn't moved since..

Could this have been a spirit..? We have had a lot of weird things happen to us in this house but it's now starting to get creepy...

Comments (23)

Comment icon #14 Posted by Astra. on 19 October, 2017, 2:57
Hmm, I like that word. We should make that 'word of the day' me thinks ...
Comment icon #15 Posted by rashore on 19 October, 2017, 2:58
Folks, let's not derail yet another thread with the same old argument of asking for stories or proofs that have nothing to with the topic please. Let's discuss the balloon nicely and courteously.
Comment icon #16 Posted by papageorge1 on 19 October, 2017, 3:02
No sense in spending too much time debating any one anecdotal case as it could painfully go on forever. It is the quantity, quality and consistency of millions of events throughout human history that has convinced me.
Comment icon #17 Posted by Timonthy on 19 October, 2017, 4:01
Lol oh no, now I have a meter? Let’s see, it looks like the Tim-meter is very convincingly on 99.9% regular helium balloon buoyancy activity, 0.01% paranormal.  I’m happy with that!  I’m a little disheartened that we don’t know the colour. Can someone get hold of the author to confirm? And in all seriousness, a neutrally buoyant helium balloon can be moved quite dramatically by seemingly nonexistent movements of air, thermal variations, static electricity etc. so IMHO, that’s all it is.
Comment icon #18 Posted by ChrLzs on 19 October, 2017, 4:39
What almost everyone is saying.... Let's look at this first scientifically  (I'm really, really sorry to do this papa...) 1. Does a helium balloon have any significant inertia, ie mass? Well, obviously not.  The rubber membrane weighs oh say 3g, and the air/helium mixture, maybe a gram.. (remember we are talking mass not weight.  It has negative weight, because of the air it's in....)  Anyway, as inertia goes, in other words the balloon's resistance to being moved, it's virtually non-existent.  The tiniest puff of breath will move it, as anyone who was genuinely familiar with balloons would al... [More]
Comment icon #19 Posted by papageorge1 on 19 October, 2017, 5:01
My opinion is that the OP person is well aware of how balloons normally behave.
Comment icon #20 Posted by Astra. on 19 October, 2017, 6:22
Oh gosh, so even after ChrLzs  went into more methodical detail in reference to how helium balloon(s) and all the differing reasons why they may gently move and float around because of differing air disturbances.... (lets also not forget about air conditioning) and that is still what your opinion is ?... Also, I really don't think that the OP person is aware of how balloons behave on air, because he/she obviously jumped to the conclusion that a spirit / ghost must / may have been responsible. Iv'e been known to pin-pop annoying floating balloons after the festivities are over....or set them fr... [More]
Comment icon #21 Posted by ChrLzs on 19 October, 2017, 6:51
I just turn my ceiling fan onto high..    It's good way to test your nerves - just keep looking downwards - sometimes it may take several minutes for the air flow to reach them and ...
Comment icon #22 Posted by Astra. on 19 October, 2017, 7:03
Sorry, I just noticed this. Fair enough, you are entitled to have your own personal beliefs on things, as we all are. But of course it's also very important to stay well grounded, by using our logic in the best way we can.
Comment icon #23 Posted by Astra. on 19 October, 2017, 7:09

Strange occurrences
11-15-2017 | Fife

Mysterious music box song
11-15-2017 | U.S.A

Haunted military house
10-23-2017 | New Zealand

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom

Ghost playing with a balloon?
10-18-2017 | Australia