Monday, June 25, 2018
  Occult

Man in Sri Lanka dies during failed exorcism

Posted on Wednesday, 11 September, 2013 | Comment icon 23 comments

Castro voluntarily had himself buried in the ground. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Tommy Sea
Exorcist Maxi Castro ended up burying himself alive while trying to purge demons from a teacher's house.
The strange series of events began when Castro was called in to remove demons from the house of school teacher Wasantha Bandara in the village of Pelanwatte. "I saw him perform a ritual like this at a temple six months ago and invited him to check my property," she said.

The peculiar ritual involved Castro requesting that he be buried in the ground in a shallow grave with a sword that he would push up from underneath to indicate that he was ready to be dug up.

Helpful onlookers followed his instructions to the letter, but after three hours there was no sign of any movement and it was decided that he should be dug up anyway. He was found unconscious and upon being taken to hospital was declared dead.

Police in the region and currently investigating the incident.

Source: New Strait Times | Comments (23)

Tags: Exorcism, Sri Lanka

Comment icon #14 Posted by Ryu on 11 September, 2013, 23:43
The man sacrificed a cat ...Poor kitty *sniffs
Comment icon #15 Posted by Mabon on 12 September, 2013, 0:20
I know... I feel sorriest for the cat. Mabon.
Comment icon #16 Posted by Sundew on 12 September, 2013, 12:39
...Poor kitty *sniffs Reminds me of the Monty Python skit: First old lady, "Harriet you're late!" Second old lady, "Sorry deary, I had to bury the cat." First old lady, "That was four hours ago! Four hours to bury a cat?" Second old lady, "Wouldn't hold still."
Comment icon #17 Posted by Rlyeh on 12 September, 2013, 14:37
The good news is he's no longer possessed.
Comment icon #18 Posted by Rlyeh on 12 September, 2013, 14:42
I've yet to do/see an exorcism that involves being buried alive. I would assume the spirit he was trying to exorcise killed him, because if he was low on oxygen, he would have pushed the sword up so they would unbury him. I think that whatever demons they have are quite hostile... /facepalmI'd assume pushing a sword through the ground while buried would be difficult, more so if you're low on oxygen.
Comment icon #19 Posted by Ryu on 12 September, 2013, 23:19
Reminds me of the Monty Python skit: First old lady, "Harriet you're late!" Second old lady, "Sorry deary, I had to bury the cat." First old lady, "That was four hours ago! Four hours to bury a cat?" Second old lady, "Wouldn't hold still." ..................... Sorry..I guess I just fail to find that "funny". Sadly there are plenty of people who really would do this to animals and children. P.S: I mean no offenses to you..I'm just sensitive that way.
Comment icon #20 Posted by kobolds on 9 October, 2013, 0:26
Just think, they buried him, then he died, then they dug him up, then buried him again. and report to police that this is an exorcism ritual. the strange part 1. “Even after three hours, there was no sign of the sword coming up from the grave,” a local police official told AFP. - why wait for 3 hours ? 2. “That is when the onlookers decided to pull him out anyway, but he was unconscious,” the unnamed official said. - is he really unconscious ? or dead .
Comment icon #21 Posted by zebra99 on 9 October, 2013, 6:57
I'm sure the UK will find a few million quid in overseas aid to educate the local population.
Comment icon #22 Posted by SkepticalB on 9 October, 2013, 7:28
well, someone should
Comment icon #23 Posted by libstaK on 9 October, 2013, 11:56
You live by the sword, you die by the sword.

Mystery surrounds hunt for James Bond's car
6-24-2018
An Aston Martin driven by Sean Connery in the movie 'Goldfinger' was stolen from an airport hangar in 1997.
Scientists solve age-old dripping tap mystery
6-24-2018
What exactly causes the loud and incessant 'plink, plink, plink' sound that has kept millions awake at night ?
Cafe closes doors due to paranormal activity
6-24-2018
A cafe in San Antonio has closed up shop after its owners captured something unusual on camera.
Mystery surrounds stolen Columbus letter
6-23-2018
A copy of a letter written by Christopher Columbus was stolen from the Vatican and replaced with a fake.
The conjoined teachers
Posted 6-24-2018 | 0 comments
Conjoined twins Abby and Brittany Hensel have aspirations to become school teachers.

Hermit crab finds a new home
Posted 6-18-2018 | 1 comment
Hermit crabs on this tropical island have been experiencing something of a housing shortage.

Throwing water at -52 below zero
Posted 6-10-2018 | 1 comment
What happens when you throw hot water in to the air in extreme freezing temperatures ?

Man was bitten by snakes 200 times
Posted 6-6-2018 | 0 comments
Despite being bitten so many times, 'snakeman' Bill Haast lived to be over 100 years old.

Catching an octopus
Posted 6-4-2018 | 0 comments
Coyote Peterson goes in search of an octopus in the tidal pools of South Africa.

Huge black triangle UFO
6-13-2018 | Mt Maunganui New Zealand

Ghastly intuition
6-13-2018 | Bay Area CA

A haunted... desk?
6-13-2018 | Peoria, Illinois

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA