We are now on Patreon! Click here to learn more about how you can help support the site.

Wednesday, December 8, 2021
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Occult > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )
Occult

Man in Sri Lanka dies during failed exorcism

September 11, 2013 | Comment icon 23 comments

Castro voluntarily had himself buried in the ground. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Tommy Sea
Exorcist Maxi Castro ended up burying himself alive while trying to purge demons from a teacher's house.
The strange series of events began when Castro was called in to remove demons from the house of school teacher Wasantha Bandara in the village of Pelanwatte. "I saw him perform a ritual like this at a temple six months ago and invited him to check my property," she said.

The peculiar ritual involved Castro requesting that he be buried in the ground in a shallow grave with a sword that he would push up from underneath to indicate that he was ready to be dug up.
Helpful onlookers followed his instructions to the letter, but after three hours there was no sign of any movement and it was decided that he should be dug up anyway. He was found unconscious and upon being taken to hospital was declared dead.

Police in the region and currently investigating the incident.

Source: New Strait Times | Comments (23)

Unexplained Mysteries is now on Patreon!

Click here to learn more about how you can help support the site and gain access to a range of perks including a subscriber badge, ad-free browsing, an exclusive weekly newsletter, sneak peaks of upcoming features and more.
23 / 25
We are 92% of the way to our second Patreon subscriber target - thank you!
Comment icon #14 Posted by Ryu 8 years ago
The man sacrificed a cat ...Poor kitty *sniffs
Comment icon #15 Posted by Mabon 8 years ago
I know... I feel sorriest for the cat. Mabon.
Comment icon #16 Posted by Sundew 8 years ago
...Poor kitty *sniffs Reminds me of the Monty Python skit: First old lady, "Harriet you're late!" Second old lady, "Sorry deary, I had to bury the cat." First old lady, "That was four hours ago! Four hours to bury a cat?" Second old lady, "Wouldn't hold still."
Comment icon #17 Posted by Rlyeh 8 years ago
The good news is he's no longer possessed.
Comment icon #18 Posted by Rlyeh 8 years ago
I've yet to do/see an exorcism that involves being buried alive. I would assume the spirit he was trying to exorcise killed him, because if he was low on oxygen, he would have pushed the sword up so they would unbury him. I think that whatever demons they have are quite hostile... /facepalmI'd assume pushing a sword through the ground while buried would be difficult, more so if you're low on oxygen.
Comment icon #19 Posted by Ryu 8 years ago
Reminds me of the Monty Python skit: First old lady, "Harriet you're late!" Second old lady, "Sorry deary, I had to bury the cat." First old lady, "That was four hours ago! Four hours to bury a cat?" Second old lady, "Wouldn't hold still." ..................... Sorry..I guess I just fail to find that "funny". Sadly there are plenty of people who really would do this to animals and children. P.S: I mean no offenses to you..I'm just sensitive that way.
Comment icon #20 Posted by kobolds 8 years ago
Just think, they buried him, then he died, then they dug him up, then buried him again. and report to police that this is an exorcism ritual. the strange part 1. “Even after three hours, there was no sign of the sword coming up from the grave,” a local police official told AFP. - why wait for 3 hours ? 2. “That is when the onlookers decided to pull him out anyway, but he was unconscious,” the unnamed official said. - is he really unconscious ? or dead .
Comment icon #21 Posted by zebra99 8 years ago
I'm sure the UK will find a few million quid in overseas aid to educate the local population.
Comment icon #22 Posted by SkepticalB 8 years ago
well, someone should
Comment icon #23 Posted by libstaK 8 years ago
You live by the sword, you die by the sword.