Saturday, October 31, 2020
  Bizarre

Smell from fridge puts 11 people in hospital

Posted on Tuesday, 30 June, 2015 | Comment icon 13 comments

The fridge was believed to have contained a chemical residue. Image Credit: PD - Yinan Chen
A fridge at the University of Kentucky smelt so bad that it ended up hospitalizing nearly a dozen people.
Most of us will be familiar with what happens when something goes off inside the refrigerator, but for workers at the University of Kentucky's Dimock Animal Pathology building this week the smell from one particular fridge was so overwhelmingly awful that the place had to be evacuated.

The stink, which was first noticed when workers arrived on Wednesday morning, required all personnel to be decontaminated by the fire department while some of the worst affected workers were taken to hospital with conditions ranging from eye and skin irritations to nausea.
Officials later revealed that the fridge, which had been carried to the department from another campus, had contained chemical residue that is believed to have been responsible for the smell.

The area has since been cleared out and the building has now been reopened.

Source: ITV News | Comments (13)

Tags: Fridge, Smell

Comment icon #4 Posted by Lenore Graves on 30 June, 2015, 18:38
What chemical residue? like from food?? I need more info on this lol! How often does that fridge get cleaned at that work place? If it was cleaned once a week nothing could of had time to decompose like that
Comment icon #5 Posted by seeder on 30 June, 2015, 18:41
I knew it was time to clear out my fridge ... when something closed the door from the inside...
Comment icon #6 Posted by bubblykiss on 30 June, 2015, 19:22
woah, I didnt know a smell could hospitalize you! I have been rendered to vomiting fits from decomposing materials over the years. To my great fortune, my ancestors seem to have breed towards having snuffy noses though. So a large amount of odors that should have done me in have floated on by with no results.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Eldorado on 30 June, 2015, 19:46
That stinks for those poor folks. Though they only say it was from chemical residue. The curious cat in me would like to know what chemical it twas... KFC (Kentucky Fridge Chemical)
Comment icon #8 Posted by jarjarbinks on 30 June, 2015, 19:51
LOL that remind me of a kid at my school back in the 90'. He went to the bathroom and the school got evacuated because of the foul smell
Comment icon #9 Posted by Ashotep on 30 June, 2015, 20:06
I read this story about this cop that saw a bag of garbage by the road. He wanted to find out who was dumping so he opened the bag. Fumes from products to make meth knocked him out and he was hospitalized. So yea what you smell could be dangerous. When I was picking up garbage off the highway it made me think twice about looking in anything or touching it with my bare hands.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Buzz_Light_Year on 30 June, 2015, 22:49
Somebody left a Braunschweiger, Limburger cheese and onion sammich in there too long.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Aardvark-DK on 1 July, 2015, 6:37
Sounds like my teen years....but Daaaiiiijm !
Comment icon #12 Posted by lilnat89 on 1 July, 2015, 19:48
jesus ! think there best just binning the whole fridge 11 ppl ended up in hospital . surprised the items in the fridge didn't grow legs
Comment icon #13 Posted by mfluder on 2 July, 2015, 0:43
I had a fridge like that in college.

New York man falls into sinkhole full of rats
10-30-2020
A man who had been waiting for a bus was unaware of the nightmare scenario he was about to experience.
Rogue world found drifting through the galaxy
10-30-2020
Astronomers have discovered an Earth-sized world that is drifting freely through the cosmos without a parent star.
New study targets $10,000 quadrillion asteroid
10-29-2020
An asteroid with enough riches to make everyone on Earth a billionaire is the subject of a new Hubble study.
Entire 7,600-ton building 'walks' 62 meters
10-29-2020
A remarkable engineering project in China has seen an entire building being moved using special robotic 'legs'.
Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball