Tuesday, September 21, 2021

'You bloody fool' says Australian talking duck

Posted on Friday, 10 September, 2021 | Comment icon 11 comments

Just when you think you've heard everything... Image Credit: CC BY-2.0 Lip Kee
A bizarre recording represents the first ever documented case of a duck being able to mimic human speech.
According to a new study, an Australian musk duck at the Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve near Canberra has been recorded accurately mimicking human speech - representing the first time in history that a species of duck has been comprehensively documented doing so.

The duck - nicknamed 'Ripper' - was recorded saying the words "you bloody fool!"

The recording itself was actually made 30 years ago and only recently resurfaced. It is believed that the duck was mimicking something that the reserve's caretaker said on a regular basis.
Musk ducks have been heard mimicking other sounds as well, such as doors slamming and even the calls of other duck species.

While there are other species of bird known to perfectly mimic sounds that they hear, this latest find suggests that this ability has evolved independently multiple times.

"When I read it at first I thought, 'it's a hoax, it can't be true,' said Prof Carel ten Cate of Leiden University in the Netherlands. "But it turned out to be true."

Source: The Guardian | Comments (11)

Tags: Duck

Comment icon #2 Posted by HandsomeGorilla on 6 September, 2021, 13:12
I remember when people would swear Donald Duck was actually cussing when you couldn't make out what he was saying  that's what this reminds me of
Comment icon #3 Posted by HandsomeGorilla on 6 September, 2021, 14:02
OK I moistened to it and honestly can't make out a single thing they claim the ducks are 'saying' and I have a hell of an imagination. hell I imagine I'm handsome and smart and I STILL couldn't imagine what the ducks were saying  if you want to hear swearing birds, I have a friend who takes in parrots given up by their owners. well, they had one African gray that sadly must have come from a very domestically violent household, or at least one with lots of cussing and screaming. the scary part is they can imitate the voices very well, too! thankfully they didn't have neighbors, I'm sure they wo... [More]
Comment icon #4 Posted by jethrofloyd on 6 September, 2021, 15:06
Yeah, the Ripper says it quite clearly..... ‘you bloody fool' . Although, at first I thought he was saying .....'you stupid tool'.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Likely Guy on 6 September, 2021, 16:00
The only reason I could hear it was because I was expecting to.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Golden Duck on 8 September, 2021, 0:46
Comment icon #7 Posted by Susanc241 on 10 September, 2021, 11:06
Acoustic pareidolia.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Robotic Jew on 10 September, 2021, 11:44
Everyone laughs at me when I tell them about my duck phobia....well.....who's laughing now??
Comment icon #9 Posted by Berwen on 10 September, 2021, 14:59
I suppose if a person were inebriated and also had a very vivid imagination this could be construe as meaningful but it does not sound like any word that we know.
Comment icon #10 Posted by pallidin on 12 September, 2021, 3:44
Wow! Too cute. I've heard of other vocal mimics in Nature, but never before a duck. BTW, I'm a dolphin and even I talk....
Comment icon #11 Posted by mesuma on 13 September, 2021, 21:30
Wonder what it says when it sees a shotgun.

'Castleford Croc' spotted in UK back garden
9-21-2021
A creature resembling a crocodile has been spotted wandering around outside residences in West Yorkshire.
Mystery woman in Croatia can't recall own name
9-21-2021
Police in Croatia are investigating the case of a mystery woman who is unable to recall anything about her life.
Sir Clive Sinclair: a man ahead of his time
9-20-2021
The late inventor created all manner of weird and wonderful gadgets - but did any of them truly fail ?
Man finds creepy doll boarded up under stairs
9-20-2021
A primary school teacher in Liverpool, England found something decidedly creepy hidden in his new home.
Mystery 'troll' captured on camera
4-24-2021 | Marsta, Sweden

My Grandfather's NDE
4-24-2021 | Oakland, California

The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball